Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Running Maniac Mansion on a newer system

Page: 1 of 1
 Lebrush
06-08-2002, 11:30 PM
I am trying to run the original PC version of Maniac Mansion on my Windows XP machine. It almost works except for it slows down at certain times and the animation is really choppy and really slow. Anyone had success running MM on a newer machine? Any advice? :confused:

Thanks,
 bgbennyboy
06-09-2002, 9:09 AM
Funnily enough I got an email exactly like this yesterday........
Ive a feeling your the same person:p

Ive only got the version of mm included with DOTT unless I can dig another one up. Have you tried running it with vdmsound?
 Lebrush
06-09-2002, 12:42 PM
I am the same person! How is the DOTT version different from the original? Did they fix some compatibility issues? I did try running it with the VDMSound but it did not help. I cant even figure out how to change sound modes, right now I think it is in PC Speaker mode. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
 bgbennyboy
06-10-2002, 3:47 PM
Linkage (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59972)

The version included with DOTT doesnt look as good as the other one mentioned on the thread above, so I presume its the original version.

(If you want to run the version included in dott look in the maniac folder inside the dott folder and rename "maniac.ovl" to "maniac.exe" and then run maniac.exe to play.)

As far as the original version goes (the one with dott) it does run slowly (jerky scrolling etc) but as far as I can tell the original was this slow too so its running fine. I think this version only has pc speaker mode, there isnt any sound mode that I can see (so vdmsound wont have any effect). In short it runs fine as it was intended.

As for the newer vga version, that doesnt appear to have any sound besides internal speaker either, and runs ok too.

With all versions shift and a key changes options. Eg shift and m switches mouse on or off.

In conclusion then, as far as I can tell MM works perfectly in XP. But having not played the original on an old machine I cant be sure...
 Lebrush
06-10-2002, 9:31 PM
Thanks for all your help. I have one other question. Where does the VGA version come from? Is that the version on the adventure compilation set released by Lucas Arts?

Again thanks for your time. ;)
 bgbennyboy
06-11-2002, 3:29 PM
Not sure, your best off asking on the thread mentioned above.
Page: 1 of 1