Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dying, Cut Offs, objectives

Page: 1 of 1
 RyderX
06-08-2002, 4:25 PM
Ok, I understand that SWG will not contain a ponts system for judging your progress, but how will you judge how well your doing? Number of kills, money gained, propetry owned.... I guess I have answered my own quesstion here...... but

What would happen when you disconnect or are cut off from the server? Would you lose money if you dont back up your info in time, would you re-appear where you disconnected? if so you could find yourself in the middile of a battle or another unwanted area? How will this work?

Finally, what benefits/penilties will you get for being killed or doing the killing, what will be the appeal, for example, if you are assassinated, what would happen to you, would you lose anything, or just reappear at the cloning facility?
 Koffin
06-09-2002, 4:00 PM
I wish we did know those answers, but I think most of them are To Be Announced
 Gaelin Masek
06-09-2002, 5:01 PM
Ack... right...here goes....

Q) How do you tell how many kills, money etc.
A) There is a 'badge' system I believe, I do not think it tells you exactly how many people you've killed I think it does give general information such as that. You can allow people to see these badges on your profile, whichever ones you select.

Q) What happens when you are disconnected from the server?
A) As I understand it, you will stand around for a few seconds then vanish. Yes, you will reappear where you were when you disconnected.

Q) What if you find yourself in the middle of a battle?
A) Attacked by an NPC you mean? Run man run! Attacked by a player? As long as you do not have the 'switch' on, a player cannot attack you. This may depend on what zone you are in, we do not know.

Q) Whats benefits/penilties will there be for PvP?
A) Right... you kill somebody for no reason, apparently you can be 'Outcast'. I really do not know what that means, it may mean you cannot go back into that zone. It could mean you are banned from the server, I dont know.
Whe you die you loose any items which you had which were NOT insured. Plus you will revert back to what your character was like the last time you stopped off at a 'Cloning Station'.
Benefit wise... you can take anything off of the body which was not insured... Apart from that, I dunno.

Bare in mind I heard all of this either in FAQ's, Forums or Chats. Some of it may just be hear-say, we are not entirely sure.

Hope it helped.
 setsuko
06-09-2002, 7:05 PM
If you disconnect, you will most propably stand around for like, 30-60 seconds, and then your char will log out. If you get killed during that time, tough luck.

Why?

Because otherwise, there would be a lot of cheating. Getting your ass kicked by a rancor? Pull the plug to your modem. Hunted by dark jedi after picking up that unique relic from their hidden sanctum? Pull the plug, and keep the item.

This might seem unfair those times when you die from lag and/or disconnections, but it's the only way to avoid rampant disconnection cheating.
 Gaelin Masek
06-09-2002, 7:33 PM
There is another way... on RuneScape if you quit during a fight then you loose ALL the items you were carrying & wearing. Also if you quit at least 60 seconds after a fight, the same applies.

But personally I think the SWG system is not a bad one.

By the way, I found out what 'outcasting' is. When a player is outcast they have their PvP (Player vs. Player) priviledges taken away, therefore they cannot fight any other players for an alloted amount of time. It could be hours, it could be weeks.....
 setsuko
06-09-2002, 7:39 PM
The bad thing with the system you describe (loosing all objects if you quit) is that it is very harsh on those poor souls who are accidentally disconnected. And well, they are many, especially for those on dial-up. Try to find one modem user who won't start cursing and throw objects around at the mere mention of the phrase "killed while disconnected" :)
 Gaelin Masek
06-09-2002, 7:46 PM
Ya... thats me :)
 setsuko
06-09-2002, 8:59 PM
Yes.. I can see the sight... you stand there, perfectly aligned for a surprise shot at the back of an evil crime boss with a huge reward on his head... then...

Small Womp Rat attacks you!
You take 4 damage.

*whatta?*

You take 8 damage.

*hey, didn't I press "attack Small Womp Rat"?*

You take 5 damage.

*attack the friggin' Womp rat, damn you!*

You take 4 damage.

*run! run away! Pleeeeease!*