Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"Oona Choota Solo?"

Page: 1 of 1
 Gaelin Masek
06-07-2002, 4:37 PM
Languages. I've read all the FAQ's and I still do not understand how they work, I think I asked this somewhere else but seeing as I do not remember where, here is as good as any :)

I know there is a linguistic skill, so each species must speak different languages.

So does this mean I cannot type messages to players who are not my species? Surely that would shut down communication pretty badly.

Or does the language thing only come into play with NPCs'?

The mighty face of Evan Piel will make you awnser!!! :evanpiel: :evanpiel: :evanpiel: :evanpiel: :evanpiel:

ahem....
 setsuko
06-07-2002, 4:43 PM
It could work like this:

If someone speaking 'non-basic', npc or a player, sends you a message, the game checks if you know the actual language. You don't? Then all you will see on your screen is a "Wraooogh! Wraaaaah-ooo!"

That is just a guess. But it will be a severe disadvantage, as it is the wookies main disadvantage, as far as I know.
 Gaelin Masek
06-07-2002, 5:41 PM
No way..... surely not. That would SUCK.
 Jan Gaarni
06-07-2002, 8:01 PM
I'm sure even Wookiees are alloved to buy protocal droids or some other translator droid. ;)
 setsuko
06-07-2002, 8:12 PM
From the FAQ:

4.25 Are players able to learn different languages?

Yes, there is a linguistics discipline that grants a player's character the ability to learn new languages. Each language has a difficulty rating and in some cases species restrictions. As a player progresses up the skill tree, they will gain the ability to learn more complex languages while at the same time increasing the total number of languages that they can speak.

This discipline would be pretty useless if you could understand everthing anyway, right? If you think that sucks... well, too bad for you. Buy a protocol droid! :)
 Gaelin Masek
06-07-2002, 9:16 PM
No, thinking about it I guess that is fair enough.

One disadvantage for wookies though I guess. Those are the only ones who cannot speak Basic I believe. Along with NPC languages like Ewokish (?) and Huttese, that would be fun come to think of it.

I cant BUY stuff, I'm a cheap bastard :)
 DriveThru
06-14-2002, 12:35 PM
It will probably be similar to EQ, for those who play that. Like setsuko said it'll just scramble the message if you don't know the language. Protocol droids and linguists should be able to help translate and I'm sure emotes will come in handy as well.
:Chewbacca points to gun, then to himself, then holds out money:
If this doesn't work you can always rip his arms out and run.
:wookiee:
 Zendjir
06-14-2002, 1:10 PM
Wookiee's start with a disadvantage: they can't speak basic (I think they can understand it though), all other species speak basic at the start I think. And Wookiee's can learn to speak basic, as a skill. That's how I understood it.

Oh, and Twi'leks have a 'tail' language.
 Gaelin Masek
06-17-2002, 4:49 AM
I don't think Wookies can EVER speak basic, I mean Lassy was really clever but she could never speak... all to do with the vocal chords I guess.

Bad analagy?

They can understand it though...
 Jan Gaarni
06-17-2002, 5:05 AM
No, good analogy. :D
 setsuko
06-17-2002, 6:06 AM
After all, Chewie don't speak basic. No, I firmly believe the disadvantage is balanced, since wookies will be.. well.. strong, and perhaps have unique skills (for instance, they have spoken quite a lot of bowcasters).

There will be a lot of language skills. It's only fair if the people putting their valuable points in them get quite an advantage out of it. And well, just the mental image of all newbies, who starts out with a wookie... running around, wondering why noone understand them... that makes it more than worth it!

After all, think like this: for every "whaaag-arooou!" you see on your screen, thats one "any1 l00kung 4~ uber-geer?! j3di sab3r for 40k! Pleeeez111!" less.
 Wraith 8
06-17-2002, 3:32 PM
wait wait wait... wasnt there this wookie on Kashyyk... you know, in the thrawn trilogy... he had a speaking disorder thus could speak basik :D.... dont know his name :D

oh and twi'lek have their own lekku language
 Zendjir
06-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Yeah, and Dark-horse realeased a comic with a wookiee that could speak basic.
 Gaelin Masek
06-18-2002, 2:54 AM
I know who you mean Wraith. But I believe that Wookie said himself that he was 'special'.

Some kind of Wookie speech impediment allowed him to be able to speak basic or something.

Forget the name...
 Wraith 8
06-18-2002, 2:49 PM
well he talked with a rolling 'R' all the time..
if i remember correctly:
Ralra?

anyway... Princess Leia was amazed when she heard him talk. then she said to him: Does Chewbacca have a speaking disorder?
Then he said: no.. for the wookies ..I have a speaking disorder. :D

that is what i remmeber.. havent read it in a long while.. i

BTW.. im now reading ep 2 :D
Page: 1 of 1