Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Soldiers Not Firing Back !

Page: 1 of 1
 Doug Quaid
06-06-2002, 7:44 PM
Hi guys, I'm a long-term lurker and now 1st time poster :eek:

I loved GB and have just purchased CC, and I think its fantastic.

Just a couple of things concern me and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

First is, when I instruct a group of my soldiers to fire on a enemy powercore for instance, then turn my attention to another part of the map, I can sometimes come back and see the enemy has sent a couple of mounted troopers and they are frying one of my troopers. This is right in front of him and he doesn't defend himself :confused: I use the attack for a certain distance setting, should it be set to kill everything? I just thought it would be nice if the AI would detect its getting killed by a unit that is in its line of sight and should break of its building attack and defend itself first then go back to what I originally asked it to do.

Second, is when I am playing against the computer on easy AI setting (I know, I know but my micro management has suffered what with Jedi Outcast coming out ;) ) I find that some of the enemy Padawans sometimes stutter as the come to attack :confused: Is this a waypoint problem? or do they just want to give me a chance on easy setting :p All the other attacking units are unaffected.

Any help or correction to my newbiness will be greatly appreciated

:fett: May The Force Be With You :rolleyes:
 TheMadDoofer
06-06-2002, 9:05 PM
The computer's padawans and knights stutter and jolt around on my comp too. Very weird. The thing is, I don't know why.

:fett:
 Kryllith
06-07-2002, 2:29 PM
The computer assumes that if you tell a unit to kill/destroy something that you want it to kill/destroy that something before doing anything else, even if it gets attacked. Thus, if you tell all your troopers to attack a power core, building, whatever they will continue to shoot at it until it is destroyed regardless of what is happening to them. The simpliest way to fix this is to stick them next to the thing you want them to destroy and then let them attack it on their own. Then when enemy units come into range they will automatically engage them (given their own choice, units will pretty much always attack other units over buildings). After they kill off the threat, they'll go back to attacking whatever it was they were before.

Hope this helps. :)

Kryllith
 Doug Quaid
06-07-2002, 3:30 PM
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I should have known I should never attack buildings with troops :rolleyes: without at least making sure the Troop Centre is down
Page: 1 of 1