Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Before Starting a Thread - CHECK

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthMaulUK
06-06-2002, 8:10 AM
Before you start a certain topic in a thread, please check to make sure that someone else hasn't already started one recently.

Example being - we have 2 Polls on Fav Civs. One Poll is enough and all comments should be made in one Poll - not two.

Thanks
DMUK
 Fishflesh
06-06-2002, 11:30 AM
ya ok but some are on page 2 and i dont look there

uh delete the tread favorit civs then
 Kryllith
06-06-2002, 1:53 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with this. I saw three different threads (2 on the same board) dealing with how to handle the TF bonus mission...

Kryllith
 Gumkak
06-18-2002, 6:36 PM
And the fact the admin disabled the searchoption isn't realy helpfull either.
 Sithmaster_821
06-19-2002, 12:42 AM
We have posts/threads on gunship UU and heavy trooper/repeater trooper separate unit everywhere. Contain these ideas in one general area please people who are posting/thread forming
 Darth Windu
06-21-2002, 1:12 PM
"We have posts/threads on gunship UU and heavy trooper/repeater trooper separate unit everywhere. Contain these ideas in one general area please people who are posting/thread forming"

There are 4. Oh no!!! Its an invasion!!!!!!!!! The posts turned out to be popular, so polls were posted as to what the community thought, gee what a bad thing to do. So sithmatser, you cant win an argument, and the community obviously disagrees with you on both of these issues, so you go running to daddy to get them deleted?
 Kryllith
06-22-2002, 12:16 AM
Besides that, Darth started the threads just as a possible idea. When it turned out that the idea sparked a lot of discussion, he felt it was prudent to put it on a voting thread. Maybe it would have worked better to put it on voting thread to begin with, but how was he to know it would take off like it has. Maybe we should just make every thread a voting thead, eh? :)

Kryllith
 simwiz2
06-22-2002, 1:26 AM
Originally posted by Sithmaster_821
So sithmatser, you cant win an argument, and the community obviously disagrees with you on both of these issues

Well, I doubt it's anywhere near the whole community. I for one, don't disagree with him about the new ideas. And you seem to forget that most people who are against the idea won't post against it in the thread, they simply ignore the thread as a pointless thread. So you end up with a vocal minority, and think there are more people for the idea simply because there are more posts/votes for it than against it. And some the people for the idea seem to be either n00bs or incredibly stupid. How else can you explain the "i want republic and empire to both have these unstoppable unique units"? (see last quote in sig for details) The point is your polls hardly represent the view of the entire communitiy, only the views of those who bother to vote. And many people against an idea will simply ignore the poll, and ignore the thread, considering it not worth the time.

EDIT: I just looked at the gunship poll. Its 6 to 3!!!! How is that "the community"??!!!?? That's 6 people who are interested in the idea, and 3 who dont like it and actually bothered to vote!! Just because 66% (at MOST) of the community likes the idea does not mean its the entire community vs one stupid outcast who cant just get along with everyone else. At least read your own polls before you go posting something stupid, it will make you seem less foolish.
 Darth Windu
06-22-2002, 5:14 PM
No, you THINK that the people who support the gunship idea are a 'vocal minority'. Did you ever stop to consider that perhaps we are a vocal majority?
 simwiz2
06-23-2002, 2:19 AM
In all likelyhood you are a vocal minority. There is a possibility that you are not, but it is very unlikely considering how close the poll is. People who dont like an idea tend to say "boring... not worth the time" and skip the thread completely.

And let's assume for a minute that it was the majority in this community (which i highly doubt). Does that make it a majority among people who bought the game? Not necessarily. All a community is, really, are a few people who think their $50 are worth more than everyone else's $50. Your poll doesnt even represent the opinion of the entire community, so it certainly does not represent the opinion of all Clone Campaigns players. And here's something else to think about: a lot of people against an idea will say "it doesnt matter, they wont change it anyway, its too late for them to do that so theres no point in voting", while those for it will overuse their imagination and imagine LucasArts running around changing all these units in a free patch, and adding new units. Sorry to all the idealists, but that's just not gonna happen. And nor should it happen, in the opinion of all but the vocal minority.
 Darth Windu
06-23-2002, 10:54 AM
"In all likelyhood you are a vocal minority" - Ok then, show me the research that you have done into this or ANY other kind of proof that my supporters and I are a vocal minority. Truth is you cant, there is no way of determining wether we are a vocal minority, or a vocal majority without the entire board voting, and we both know thats not going to happen so just drop it.
 Kryllith
06-24-2002, 9:59 PM
Originally posted by simwiz2
[B]And let's assume for a minute that it was the majority in this community (which i highly doubt). Does that make it a majority among people who bought the game? Not necessarily. All a community is, really, are a few people who think their $50 are worth more than everyone else's $50. Your poll doesnt even represent the opinion of the entire community, so it certainly does not represent the opinion of all Clone Campaigns players.
Of course, by this logic there could also be a ton of people who play the game, have similar thoughts about wanting a gunship similar to Windu's suggestion, and just don't know about (or don't bother to go to) the forums. Afterall, I've only been here for about a month, but I've been playing SWGB for some time now. Basically, it's moot to even discuss this since the only people who can reveal the truth are the ones that aren't talking. Guess we're just stuck with whatever the voting ends up at... :)

Kryllith
 simwiz2
06-25-2002, 12:47 AM
well the voting seems to be at 9 to 3 now, so even going by that it's still not quite :rolleyes: darth's vision of "the community vs sith" 9:3 /= 11:1 darth. darth, this is the second time I have had to remind you of the value of certain numbers in relation to others. darth, please learn some math before confusing the data in a forum poll and looking like an idiot :)

currently 25% of the community is against the idea. And no one, i repeat no one, has even suggested an incarnation for the gunship that would be used and not be overpowered and not copy other units, etc. And some of the votes for the idea can be discounted at once, because the voter has showed himself to be so stupid that they ought to have all their votes removed at once (natopo and his empire-republic uber-units spring to mind). And darth, your claim of "all UU's are overpowered" shows you know nothing about game balance at all. And the fact you seem to know so little about certain units (probot, crusader) makes me wonder if you even play battlegrounds at all.
 Darth Windu
06-25-2002, 2:10 PM
"And darth, your claim of "all UU's are overpowered" shows you know nothing about game balance at all"

I would appreciate it if your didnt use quotes for what you THINK i said. In no post have i ever made the statement that all UU's are overpowered, i suggest you take up reading lessons.

"currently 25% of the community is against the idea"

Which means that 75% support the idea, thats 3/4 of the people who have voted, need i say more?
 simwiz2
06-26-2002, 12:45 AM
"I would appreciate it if your didnt use quotes for what you THINK i said. In no post have i ever made the statement that all UU's are overpowered, i suggest you take up reading lessons."

I dont think you said anything, I know you said something that meant you thought all UU's were unbalancing in their own way. And although unbalanced and overpowered do not always mean the same thing, in the context used you are claiming that all UU's are unbalanced, and unless you mean that UU's are underpowered (which I hope not because that would be plain stupid) then that means you belive they are overpowered (I didn't add in their own way for the same reason you do not support Natopo's idea: because it reduces the potency of the argument). In the way you used the word, unbalanced means basically the same thing as overpowered. I suggest you obtain a thesaurus, the sooner the better. And simply because I don't want to go from this thread's reply box back to the main forum and then to the gunship thread and then sift through all your idiotic "gimme an overpriced bomber now Lucasarts" and Natopo's desire to ruin the game post, to look for your exact words and then have to come to this thread again does not say anything about my reading comprehension level. Now the fact that you can't differentiate 75% from 91.6% is another matter entirely.

"Which means that 75% support the idea, thats 3/4 of the people who have voted, need i say more?"

I think LucasArts would like to see more than 9 (some n00b) votes (Natapo LMAO, I bet the computer can toast him on Easiest and he wants the overpowered Gunship to beat the AI with:p ) before they go changing gameplay and likely infuriating experts, creating exploits, ruining their (now near-perfect IMO) game balance. If you asked experts (or even an all-inter+ group) about this idea the results would probably be very different.

And going back to the vocal minority, it happens a lot on CivFanatics and Apolyton, so if you want to see evidence of it then go look at their Civ3 forums (when some ranters say civ3 sucks but then the fanboys make a poll to defend civ3 and more people defend it because the poll is for them), but it takes awhile to explain fully and I really do not want to right now. When I was last there about 5 months ago it was still going on, though I'm not sure about now because like me, many of the "ranters" will have given up on the game and left.
 simwiz2
06-26-2002, 9:35 AM
Originally posted by Darth Windu
No, you THINK that the people who support the gunship idea are a 'vocal minority'. Did you ever stop to consider that perhaps we are a vocal majority?

Okay, lets assume for a minute that there are 100 people at Lucasforums. We will use a nice round number for your simple mind to comprehend. 9 out of 100 people voted Yes. 3 voted no, but the other 88 people didnt even bother going into a thread called "gunship unit - the poll expansion" because they read through your other 2 threads and thought they were so increadibly stupid. THAT IS WHAT A VOCAL MINORITY MEANS, although you probably still will fail to grasp the concept. 3 people had way too much time on their hands and bothered to come in and vote no, and post against you. (Admittedly I was one of them). 9 vs 91, or 9/100 = 9%. It is a vocal minority.
 Darth Windu
06-26-2002, 12:11 PM
Simwiz - it has become clear that you will try anything to try and stop this popular movement by any means possible. It is very sad when a person resorts to lies and personal insults of their opposition in an attempt to win an argument. I pity you.
 simwiz2
06-27-2002, 12:11 AM
"...lies..."

Give me one example of a lie.

"...popular..."

Like I have said in the past that is very debatable. Did you go to apolyton or civfanatics? Do you read my post about vocal minorites? It is probably not as drastic as going from 75% (now 77) to 9%, but you should get the idea.

Plus there's the fact that at least one person has "converted" to being against the idea. So take one vote off Yes and add one to No.

You get 9 to 4. 69%. Without even counting the vocal minority concept. And who knows how many have changed their minds without posting to tell us? If one did, then more may have.
 D'Blee
06-27-2002, 9:43 AM
So sithmatser, you cant win an argument, and the community obviously disagrees with you on both of these issues, so you go running to daddy to get them deleted?

In no post have i ever made the statement that all UU's are overpowered, i suggest you take up reading lessons.

It is very sad when a person resorts to... personal insults of their opposition in an attempt to win an argument.

It is similarly lamentable when you resort to hypocrisy. Have a care.

And to be honest, both of you might as well drop this. Neither of you is going to change the other's mind anytime soon, and this rapidly developing flame war is not going to help anyone or do the forum much good.
 Darth Windu
06-27-2002, 2:44 PM
D'Blee - i agree. I have already said that if you want to take a look at some of my previous posts, but it seems that simwiz was unable to drop the subject. However, I fail to see where I am being hypocritical.

simwiz - your lie is saying that the 'quote' of "All Unique Units are unbalanced [overpowered] ." was made by me. It wasnt, an is an obvious attempt to colour people's opinions in the Republic Gunship issue by implying that I want the Gunship to be unbalanced. Also, the popular issue is crystal clear. A 75% majority has voted for the Gunship, I dont see how that is debatable.
 DarthMaulUK
06-27-2002, 5:19 PM
I haven't checked this thread for a few days and I can't believe how far from the topic people have strayed.

Simwiz32, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - whether or not you agree with it.

I haven't looked at this Gunship idea but when Lucasarts release a CC patch it's only going to fix minor bugs in the game. I believe that this will be the last thing LA do for Battlegrounds, despite that they could expand on it further - who knows.

Garry Gaber (Game director for Battlegrounds) has been brilliant at responding to the playing community and giving fans what they want ( AT-AT's having anti air is one suggestion he added) and it's something alot of games companies do not do.

The only thing that concerns me is how LA have mostly listened to the gaming experts - who all favour rush tactics and finishing games inside 30 minutes. Not alot of fun for the majority of players.

These experts will all move on once Age Of Mythology is released and maybe Warcraft 3 (although WC3 sucks).

So. I am closing this thread and make sure in the future you ALL respect other peoples views.

DMUK
Page: 1 of 1