Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Shoot me: I like Gungans

Page: 1 of 1
 DutchTiran
05-31-2002, 6:39 AM
:jarjar: I really enjoyed them fighting in episode 1, and I'm really looking forward to fight with them against the evil queen Amidala (planning to buy gb)

anyway, a few questions

1.Can Gb be compared to AOK? I think not because there are flying units.

2.Are the explosions and lightsabers good?

3. zone or Gamespy?
 Acharjay
05-31-2002, 6:59 AM
1. SWGB can indeed be compared with AOK, they play so similarly that it first seems like only cosmetic changes have been made, but it goes slightly deeper than that, what with power cores and shielding and flying units as you mentioned.

2. The lightsabers, fires and explosions are, in a word, ugly. I hate saying it, but it has to be said. The blue lightsabers are far too dark, and turn grey when swung, and when a lightsaber isn't moving, it's just a solid colored stick.
I don't know what the explosions in the expansion look like, but there are only a couple explosions in SWGB that actually look like they belong, like they're part of the environment.
But the lightsabers and explosions are works of art as far as the building fires are concerned. The fires are the ugliest and most unsuitable I have seen in any game. The fires all look totally different, in the palette used, and the actual shape. Mixing brown and lime green together in a fire is hideous. Again, I hope CC improves on this.[/rant]

3. SWGB can be played on the Zone, but I'm not sure about Gamespy.

Now, despite all my problems with the game, note that they are all cosmetic, and SWGB more than makes up for them with awesome looking units and buildings, and solid gameplay.
I heartily recommend you do get SWGB. :)
 DarthMuffin
05-31-2002, 9:48 AM
Galactic Battlegrounds is a very great game, but the x-pack CC is much better. CC also add better graphics for explosions.
 TheMadDoofer
05-31-2002, 11:34 AM
The air cruiser weapons look sweet, sort of like you're nuking the area around you, and the explosions in the air also look cool. But to get all this, you need the x-pac.

:fett:
 Kryllith
05-31-2002, 11:43 AM
I like the Gungans too. Jarjar was somewhat annoying, but I like the race overall. They're also a fairly decent civ, though a lot of people may not like them. But with mobile shields, stealth frigates (very handy if you play on a world with a lot of water) and the ability for healers to heal everything but mechs, heavy weapons, and buildings (which self regen in CC) their units have potentially great staying power.

Kryllith
 Gaming Nut
05-31-2002, 12:58 PM
I like gungans many don't like their wreid style of mechs and buildings I think they look cool.
 Heavyarms
05-31-2002, 1:08 PM
Hey, Archarjay, about the fires:
What elements are you burning? No elements I know of!

About the explosions: I have never needed planes to be shot down or any of that stuff... I think they are fine as they are...

I don't really have a problem with the sabers, and who has time to observe that anyways?
 Sithmaster_821
05-31-2002, 5:39 PM
The explosions in CC are much better (although they need to improve animal air's explosion). In CC the gungans are really good turtlers (faster ore, ceaper sheilds and fortresses, regenerating buildings, etc)

I think that SWGB and CC are much better games than AOK. They not only add another layer of gameplay with air, sheilds, power, etc., but fix many play balance and gameplay problems in AOK and TC. Its not just for Star Wars fans either. My friendd hadn't seen a single movie or Knew a single thing about Star Wars but he loved the game. When you play the game, you'll instantly realize that it isn't AOK with Star Wars looks pasted on, but a separate game that can stand alone.
Page: 1 of 1