Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Turn based?

Page: 1 of 1
 Vicious
05-28-2002, 4:34 AM
I read elswhere on the forums SWG will be turned based, is that true? sounds like it would take a lot of the spontanaity out of the game.
 Unini
05-28-2002, 7:17 AM
Let me clear this up by saying: "Hell no!!".
right?? ;)
 Vicious
05-28-2002, 7:59 PM
Thank the force. :luke:
 Gaalgoth
05-28-2002, 8:36 PM
Ah, unini, actually it is similar to turn based. They use a card like system where you choose your moves ahead of the time, although in game it looks pretty much like realtime. It is similar to turnbased, but not like in final fantasy. It'll work fine, but it will probably not be like diablo or jk2.
 JekRendar
05-28-2002, 8:50 PM
Combat is Queue(whatever the spellling is!)-based! But the rest (as far as we know) is realtime!
 Ascari
05-28-2002, 8:56 PM
As I saw it, u choose your moves ( eg blast, duck fire )

but u are free to move around.

( am i right or wrong here guys? )
 Vicious
05-29-2002, 4:44 AM
back to being worried.

PS: jango fett finale battle figure is awsome. his head comes off, ah such fun is dismemberment.
 MikeC
05-29-2002, 11:55 AM
One description I saw from somebody that previewed the game was the combat system was turn based, but very dynamic.
 Demangel
05-30-2002, 4:07 AM
I highly doubt they mean it will be like the old EQ format of click attack, go bake a cake then come back click sit, then go eat the cake while you heal...

It will probably be more like the DAOC combat system... but even more dynamic.

To me the best would have been a Deus Ex or Neocron type combat system with some JKII thrown in for good measure (JKII purely for the saber combat/force aspect).

In other words a Skill based, Non turn based, FPS action game. there is no reason to say you can't have role playing elements like EXP and skills in a FPS.

Dues Ex did it perfectly, at least in the effects of said skills.

How did that work?

Lets say your a level 1 in pistols.

you put the crosshairs on the target.

you have to wait for the crosshairs to "level out" so to speak (IE aim), before you should pull the trigger (can fire at any time, but if you fire early your on target shots will be reduced).

Once it's leveled out you can fire, however since your at level one skill, even though you think your aim is dead on you might miss half or more of the shots. This is actually very realistic. I have fired guns since I was a child with my dad at the range and hunting... The most frustrating thing about being a newbie with the real thing is that although you could swear your aim is dead on, the bullet won't always go where you think your aiming it. it will instead go where it is REALLY aimed.

At level 2 the speed of the aim time, and accuracy of the bullseye is more on target. thus you hit more often, and can fire sooner.

At the highest level there is virtualy no aim time, and the bullets almost always go right at the center of the reticle.

This could have been done in SWG as it is being done in Neocron.

Personaly I don't dont care which brand of combat it is so long as the action LOOKS exciting enough to actually get me excited. Not boring like EQ combat which is basically just point click wait... Maybe cast a few spells and use melee if your a SK like I am or something similar...

the point is, to me it sounds like the combat system could have been more in line with what I like, but if they do it right I am sure I will love it. I loved the DAOC method when I first tried that (you had mutliple moves you could do based on your class/realm, and spells and other goodies which made combat look more interesting, and made you think a bit more besides, click attack and wait...).

so I would say don't worry too much. Fromeverything I have seen it should be exciting.

I mean think of it another way. since Jedi are going to be rare, and thus Melee fighting kind of rare as well... It's kind of wierd to me to make ranged combat turn based. SO they must have made some interesting way of resolving it.

i would hate it if I can't use cover effectively like I can in a FPS. i would hate it if I can't manualy try to dodge shots (obviously I couldn't do that all the time though like in a FPS, I wouldn't want to be hit sometimes to be honest).

However I think the DEV's have thoiught of all this, or at least I can hope they did... Or I will play it for a month try to become force sensitive, probably fail, and decide the game isn't for me since I can't be a Jedi, or even play ranged combat the way I would want.

I say what have you got to lose... don't fear SWG... just keep smiling and making sure the DEV's know what it is your little heart desires :)
 Koffin
05-30-2002, 4:20 AM
well kind of think of it as real time like as in a first person shooter, however when you attack, your frequency of fire, and whether or not you hit or missed, is decided by the server from calculating your attributes.

in other words, actual combat will be very similar to watching a fight scene in a movie while telling the actor what to do.
Page: 1 of 1