Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why is this game good ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Joner
05-28-2002, 1:52 AM
Hi
I'm thinking about buying Galactic Battlegrounds but since it costs a lot of money I would like to hear some good reasons to buy it.
Shoot. :atat:
 Grinch2020
05-28-2002, 2:07 AM
Well I dont know if you have played any Age of Empires or not but if you have you will definately see the resemblance. Also, being a fan of the Star Wars universe I just think it adds more to the atmosphere. I cant say a whole lot about the expansion yet as I just picked it up today but the difference in all of the races makes for a lot of different strategies. To really find out if you want to pick it up I would recommend browsing the forums a bit more and maybe checking out some online reviews for it.
 Joner
05-28-2002, 2:14 AM
thanks grinch.
In fact I have played AOE as well as AOK and liked it very much and being a SW fanatic all my life I think I will like this game.
But let's hear some more opinions, please. Critical thoughts welcome.
 MM-86
05-28-2002, 3:21 AM
Well, ermm...it's the best game i have ever played actually!
Its star wars and its strategy, the best mix i can think of.
The civilisations are so different to eachother, that is fun.
I think everything about the game is great, except for a few details, Trade federation worker droids should look like PK-droids instead of that silly one with a face. And you should be able to fire when moving. Except for that, everything is fine i think.:bdroid2:
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-28-2002, 4:04 AM
Yeah Trade Fed workers look too comical.
 DashRendar
05-28-2002, 9:11 AM
Well, without the X-Pac Air is countered WAY too easily although luckily the computer doesn't really build up a ton of Anti-Air, like a human opponent would.
 WolfmanNCSU
05-28-2002, 8:06 PM
I really love this game. I am a big fan of RTS games. I enjoy them a lot. I am also a huge SW fan. So this game is a natural choice for me.

Its based of the AOK engine. Its practically the same game, just based off the SW universe and a handfull of enhancments to make the game play better. I would highly recommend the expansion pack for the game because IMO, it really adds a lot to the game play and just all around more enjoyable.
 Joner
05-28-2002, 8:08 PM
But is it worth spending 65,55 $ ??:bdroid1: :atat: :bdroid2:
 DarthMuffin
05-28-2002, 10:48 PM
It's up to you.
Personnaly, if I had played to AoE, I don't think I would buy this game. From what I have seen of AoE, it's about the same thing than SWGB. However, SWGB got a larger tech tree, air units, jedi and...it's a Star Wars game!

But if you really really really like AoE and Star Wars, go buy it, and don't forget the x-pack.

Just to give you my opinion, it's my favourite strategy game.
 Sithmaster_821
05-28-2002, 11:23 PM
For someone who likes star wars and aok this is a match made in heaven. Not only does it add the star wars element it fixes alot of problems in aok. The game i think is alot more fun than aok and the expansion only makes the whole game better. Both are worth the price.
 polaris_crd
05-29-2002, 2:48 AM
This game is well worth the money. If you look you can get this game for 30-40 bucks. Trust me you wont regret it.

People are always going to complain about the littlest things, but all and all this game is one of the best RTS out there. I'm a huge RTS fan spanning tons of titles like Dune, Starcraft, C&C, AOE, ect. To be honest I like this game better then AOK.

Here are some reasons to buy this game...

Each civilization is unique, meaning that they have their own artwork for buildings and troops. Not the same artwork for about every civ like in AOE and AOK games. The diversity between civilizations is amazing.

The game may use the AOK engine but the game is hugely different. GB even has air units and shield generators. I forget that it even uses the same engine sometimes. It has a totally different feel. It's not like you will see a huge At-At or a fully upgraded x-wing and be reminded of AOK.

If you are both a starwars fan and a AOK or RTS fan this game was made for people like us. I love RTS games and I love Starwars. awhile back I bought force commander and was pretty disappointed in the quality of the game. Yeah, it was 3D with good graphics but it sucked. I had always wished that lucas would make a starwars RTS game. I was overjoyed when they anounced GB. I preordered this game as soon as I heard about it. Lets face it. The AOK engine is good stable engine.
 safire
05-29-2002, 4:08 PM
You get to build Imperial AT-ATs and destroy the rebel scum! That's enough reason right there.

If you hate the Empire that much, well, send a Rebel air force of X-Wings, Y-Wings and A-Wings (and B-Wings with the scenario editor) to annihilate the Empire.

Still pissed about Jar Jar in the Phantom Menace? Set a computer opponent as those cuddly Gungans and take out all your anger by unleashing hell on them.

Thought the Naboo fighters or Trade Federation Droidekas were awesome.... you can play as them.

Always had fun making the Wookie gurgling noise - you can be the wookies and pump out Wookies by the truckload.

That's enough right there, in my humble opinion. Quit worrying, buy it, it's worth it.
 D'Blee
05-30-2002, 12:14 AM
And with the expansion, you can build clones, right? Lots of clones. And you can tell them to attack. Attacking clones. Clones, lots of clones, all looking the same, and attacking stuff. Clones... attack... mmmmmm. Now that would make a good movie.
 Kryllith
05-30-2002, 3:10 PM
What's interesting is if you play SWGB for a few months then switch back to AoK/AOC. Man... I really wish the Chinese had invented shield generators...

Kryllith
Page: 1 of 1