Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Klorel's Mace Windu in progress

Page: 1 of 5
 Klorel
05-25-2002, 11:29 PM
here is a preview of my mace windu [textures not yet added]:http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview.txt)
*geocities is wierd about linking to forums so it doesnt work the first time, just delete the http:// and try the link again and it should work.

i have exported it as a .md3, but cannot export it through md3view as a .glm. has anyone done this before? did the textures from the origional skin file still work? also i dont want to lose the origional animations, i am only modifying the model, i dont have the software or patience to animate one :p
any help is appreciated
:explode:
 BradFu
05-26-2002, 1:51 AM
One suggestion I have for you is to make sure his "shirt" goes down as far as mid-hip, and then his tabards a bit farther.

Hope it works out well! :)

BradFu!
 AKPiggott
05-26-2002, 8:13 AM
Oh yes! I desperately need a Mace Windu model for my Single Player level.. please please please include the facial bones so I can use him for cutscenes?

Also, feedback regarding the model.. very good, as Brad said.. the tabard goes a bit further down.. can't wait to see it textured...
 Klorel
05-26-2002, 11:32 AM
thanks for all your support :) i'll pull the tabard down like you suggested, i actually was getting to that when i realized i had no way to save the file without loosing the animations :( -- cheek bones are going in too. if anyone knows how to save or export as a .glm it would be most helpful. or atleast export without loosing any animations. I had previously skinned the origional model but decided that it would be best to modify the model itself if i'm going to make a really good Mace.
 AKPiggott
05-26-2002, 11:39 AM
* Pats Klorel on the back *

As for the saving stuff... hopefully, Cheshire, Monkey, Blood or Sith will stop by and give some info....
 Klorel
05-26-2002, 12:06 PM
thanks, i hope it works out too :p , here is a new more updated pic: http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview2.txt) , it wont work as before, you guys know what to do...
i made the cheek bones more prominent and did some work on the tabards. tell me what you think, and if anyone out there knows how to solve my problem please help!
 AKPiggott
05-26-2002, 1:32 PM
Ahh cool... big improvement, definately taking shape more now.. I think he needs to be a little bit better built though...

[edit: Actually, instead could you make his tabard and sleeves baggier? Also is there any chance of having the tabard detail across the chest meshed instead of textured? Check out some pics below....]

http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Images/Episode_2/Characters/Mace_Windu)
 Darth Odisse
05-26-2002, 2:16 PM
 sithlord-II
05-26-2002, 3:02 PM
pls note: on geocities if you want people to be able to link directly to your images, just rename them to .txt, and people will be able to click the links without copying... just fyi
sithlordii
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-26-2002, 3:16 PM
yes I fully agree with AKPiggott it is very good, but the sleeves do need to be baggier and the tabard should be meshed like a downward pointing isosceles triangle from his neck to his chest. Good job so far:thumbsup:
 Klorel
05-26-2002, 4:14 PM
i'll work more on the tabards and making his suit "poof" out more, thanks for all the reference pics, they should help out a LOT, for textures as well. I think that i lost the animations for the model by importing it into milkshade. i was origionally just going to modify the model, but since i dont have animations to worry about i might as well just go all out and add little things like a tabard mesh. anyone who knows about animating would be a great help because i dont think i have the software or knowledge to do it at this time.
 AKPiggott
05-26-2002, 5:10 PM
I don't think it's like Half-Life where you animate yourself... you just anchor onto the humanoid skeleton..
 Klorel
05-26-2002, 5:27 PM
heres a new update. still not complete, working on a few things, any other comments would be cool. hopefully the animation work. i tried to export it as a .glm with modview but it didnt use my model or skin... :( it was just kyle. anyone know anything about this?
http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview3.txt)
 BradFu
05-26-2002, 6:56 PM
Lookin good! The "shirt" is about the right length now :) I would model the tabards in as well, so they can stick down a few inches farther (The tabards are the wide strips of cloth that the Jedi wear over their shoulders).

This one listed by Odisse is the perfect reference shot for you: http://www.vengeance-unlimited.org/Jedi%20Outcast/Episode%20II/Mace%20Windu.jpg)

Keep up the good work!

BradFu!
 Klorel
05-27-2002, 5:13 PM
heres mace with tabards meshed:
http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview5.txt)
now all I have to do is figure out how i'm going to get the model from Milkshape to JO, and how I am supposed to texture it, i've textured models before, but that was just by modifying old textures and I assume that the files will have to be different for the actual model once it is changed. any help is appreciated
:mace:
 The Rel)ee(V)eR
05-27-2002, 5:23 PM
That is very good...Only thing I can reccommend is to make the sleeves baggier...they are much more wide than that. Other than that, excellent work
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-27-2002, 5:43 PM
yah the sleeves need to be baggier. good job!
 BradFu
05-27-2002, 5:45 PM
Cool! Tabards look about right. Agreed on the sleeves, they're looking good now, but if you make them slightly baggier at the shoulders, then taper to about twice as baggy at the wrist openings, it'll be perfect. Can't wait till you're done with this, looks like it's going to be a good model :) Can't wait to see it skinned! :D

BradFu!
 winner_rex
05-27-2002, 5:48 PM
hey Klorel,
JW, how did you make the face? I couldn't make one in MS3d (it looks like thats what youre using) to save my life!
 Garik Loran
05-27-2002, 6:35 PM
Yes, I think this is going to be a fine model. Good job.
Hmm, one thing I recognized. The model seems to be too thin, Mace Windu is bigger, more bulky.
But you are definitely on the right way. Keep it up!!!
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-27-2002, 6:47 PM
Ah yes now that Garik Loran said that I see it too. The sleeves need to be baggier and his shoulders need to be more bulky.
 AKPiggott
05-27-2002, 7:30 PM
Fantasmatic! Are you gonna skin it yourself Klo'?
 Klorel
05-27-2002, 9:11 PM
Originally posted by winner_rex
hey Klorel,
JW, how did you make the face? I couldn't make one in MS3d (it looks like thats what youre using) to save my life!
This model is a modification of the Galak model. but if your trying to do the face by scratch i recomend you use a geoshpere, delete the faces you dont need, and use the divide edge under the vertex tool to make more polys near the eyes and for the nose and such. then just drag each poly individually, should work fine.
 winner_rex
05-27-2002, 9:31 PM
thanks for the advice!
 Klorel
05-27-2002, 10:34 PM
no prob.
here is a new updated pic with baggier arms, i also made him a *little* bulkier, but not too much cause i think that it looks pretty "mace-esque" as it is. anything else? does anyone want me to attach a box or two onto his utility belt? or will that be fine as a skin on the belt? i plan to texture it myself, but i am wondering if anyone knows how to create the origional mesh .tga's to do the modeling on from the model? here's the newest updated pic:
http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview5.txt)
 Pedantic
05-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Sorry to nitpick, but you might wanna taper the sleeves as they open a little. :D
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-27-2002, 11:02 PM
ah much better but you do need to taper the sleeves just a bit, if you feel like adding stuff to his belt you can add that strange brown thing in his belt and this silverish square next to it.
 Klorel
05-27-2002, 11:03 PM
you mean make the sleeve openings not as baggy? or just make them get less baggy as the sleeve goes towards the hands
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-27-2002, 11:06 PM
to taper is the gradual lessening of width in a long object.
 Klorel
05-27-2002, 11:13 PM
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-27-2002, 11:18 PM
I can't really see the difference from the last pic you posted and this one, but if you look that the picture http://www.vengeance-unlimited.org/Jedi%20Outcast/Episode%20II/Obi-Wan/Hi-resolution_Mace_Windu.jpg) you can see how the sleeve width gradually shortens as it goes to his body. In your model the sleeves seems to stay the same width.
 Pedantic
05-27-2002, 11:19 PM
^Yep, that's what I meant.
 BradFu
05-27-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Klorel
this what you mean?
http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview6.txt)

Other direction, actually. They should get slightly less baggy as they go toward the shoulder. The wrist openings should be the most baggy part of the sleeve.

Looking good, though! One thing that might make it more seem more bulky is to make the neck a little thicker.

BradFu!
 Klorel
05-28-2002, 1:17 AM
Mace Windu: thicker neck, retapered baggy sleeves:
http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview7.txt)
and if anyone knows how to get this model into modview linked to some .tga's so i can start skinning that would be great. also i dont think there is any skeleton information in the file when i converted to .md3... so i may need some help on that too. does anyone know of any good tutorials on this? or has anyone done this before? please, don't hold back, bestow your knowledge upon me :deathii:
 The Rel)ee(V)eR
05-28-2002, 2:25 AM
Ok now it is pretty much perfect, but ONE more thing... I think the cloth on the shoulders should go out more...kind of hard to describe, look at that ref pic a few posts up to see what i mean...
 Royal
05-28-2002, 4:42 AM
Nice model. I'd like to see him with a cloak mesh that can be on or off dependinf on what skin you want to use.

-Royal
 Klorel
05-28-2002, 12:29 PM
a full body cloak would be a little too ambitious for me right now, especially since i dont have softimage, but when I get more experience i may put out a cloaked version. here is the newest pic, I played with the tabards on the shoulder a bit, i think this is looking done. just asking again, does anyone think i should model the pouches on the belt, or would that look fine as a skin? well, anyways, heres the pic: http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview8.txt)
 Kiell_Randor
05-28-2002, 1:50 PM
Preview shot 7 had better sleeves IMHO.
 Mr. Data
05-28-2002, 2:26 PM
Definately do the pouches so it is as authentic to the real Mace as possible ;)

Data :aobi: :saberb:
 Klorel
05-28-2002, 2:32 PM
the preview8 pic has been fixed, i accidentally, changed one of my ealier models... :rolleyes: so i fixed the correct model and screenshoted him... retry the link... also i still need to add the pouch(es)
 Klorel
05-28-2002, 6:27 PM
heres the newest pic... i think its done... any comments?
http://www.geocities.com/crazyhamster03/macewindupreview9.txt) :mace:

:duel:
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-28-2002, 6:33 PM
Nice job, yes i also think you are done with the modeling job. Now you just need to skin him. Good work!
 adillon
05-28-2002, 6:41 PM
SKIN HIM - SKIN HIM - SKIN HIM!!

seriously, though, very impressive model you got there. and i agree with you and Oobedoob Benobi, i think the model is nailed down now. it's time to make him really look like the jedi master that he is. can't wait to use him in some purple-saber, dueling action.

dunno if it was asked before ... any idea on taunts/sounds you plan to use?

keep us posted on the finishing touches, and definitely keep up the great work!
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-28-2002, 6:49 PM
Ah yes adillon is right we need to think about a taunt for mace. anyone have suggestions?
 adillon
05-28-2002, 7:00 PM
in doing a preliminary search for episode 2 multimedia, there doesn't seem to be a whole helluva lot out there of mr. windu. however, if somebody had a "copy" of ep2, i'm sure we could find something that's perfect. hmmm, if only somebody had a copy ... ;)
 Luuke
05-28-2002, 7:10 PM
what about "this party is over". you can take it from one of the trailors and it would make a good taunt.
 AKPiggott
05-28-2002, 7:22 PM
I have the "This Party's Over" taunt... I recorded it when I was making my own Mace skin a while back... e-mail me if you want it...
 Oobedoob Benobi
05-28-2002, 7:23 PM
Ah good idea because most of the time trailors don't have much or any backround sound.
 BradFu
05-28-2002, 8:39 PM
Yep, stick a fork in him, he's done! :) Looks great! Can't wait to see him skinned! Now that you've finished this model, you can use the body for other Jedi! Just swap the head (and hands of necessary) and you can make endless Jedi models!

And I agree, there's no question, "This Party's Over" has to be the taunt :D

BradFu!
 Pedantic
05-28-2002, 8:47 PM
Looks good, but his head looks a wee bit too big for his body.
Page: 1 of 5