Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

$$ per month poll

Page: 1 of 2
 Ihasn
05-23-2002, 5:49 PM
Just wondering how much people would be willing to pay a month?
 MikeC
05-23-2002, 11:11 PM
It will probably be in the range of $10-15 a month. That's judging by other online games.

Also - WELCOME
 Silver Quasar
05-24-2002, 12:29 AM
Hmm... If one were to stop playing for, say, two months, would all the players profile and items still be retained during those two months w/o pay?
 Gaalgoth
05-24-2002, 12:31 AM
That depends on the devs. Some games I believe will retain the character for a while, some won't. All up to the devs.
 DudEhead
05-25-2002, 3:56 PM
DAOC keeps chars for three months... i hope star wars does the same... won't be away that long in one go from it, but when exams are nearing, i might take a break each time...
 ObiMike
06-05-2002, 9:04 AM
Ok I make 4 dollars a week and have no other job for I am only 13 years old. I dont know how many older players there will be but the kids are ganna be broke and will have no extra spending money. 10 dollars seems unfair, who cares if the other games are like that. I think it should be 5 so it wont kill my money flow and other kids. Just to let you know, I make 16 dollars per month. Ok 16 - 10 = 6. Look at my spending money a mesliy 6 dollars, that sucks and I dont want to pay 10 dollars it just aint right.
 setsuko
06-05-2002, 9:40 AM
Sorry ObiMike, but these kinds of games are not aimed at the younger players, in any way. Both in how you play it (often requiring many hours to get something done, which is hard if you have a short attention span, or are not allowed to stay up all night, which is far too normal :)), and the fact that good roleplaying is something that requires experience of living (just like theater). Since it is not aimed for the young, Verant pays little attention to them. After all, people with no money won't balance their budget.

So, tough luck.
 Wraith 8
06-05-2002, 9:59 AM
well im one of the older guys here :D and... i suggest reading this article Obi mike. http://www.swgalaxies.net/articles/article.php3?article_id=5)

it is a bit long.. but it does explain why you pay to play.

oh and welcome to SWGalaxies.net.

I hope you will stay around :D

-Wraith 8-
 FunClown
07-01-2002, 9:35 PM
I would say in the 10 - 12.95 range. If its anymore a lot of people are going to be turned off including me.
 Exar Kun II
07-03-2002, 2:43 PM
Well, some of you people will just have to end your subscription to some of those. . .*cough*. . . other sites. :D
 Sounds Risky
07-04-2002, 2:25 AM
The most I'm willing to spend at the moment is $10. Anything over that seems a bit much.
 Wraith 8
07-04-2002, 3:01 PM
Originally posted by OCH
The most I'm willing to spend at the moment is $10. Anything over that seems a bit much. agreed. i cant pull nothing more loose then 10$..
 Lord Helmet
07-05-2002, 12:15 PM
what you guys talking abot...i tohught it was 1 dollar a ear..o crap...now im gonna have to use my medicine money for it too....wont last long then
 Norin Radd
07-05-2002, 4:27 PM
$1.00 a year? Where did you hear that? That would be operating the servers at a loss of profit.

I'm thinking that they will come out with a special pricing offer to introduce the game. The $15.00 a month is not even from an official source. :D
 YourGod
07-10-2002, 6:14 AM
why ask a question like this? you know evryone will want to pay the least money possible, but no one will end up payin less than $10 a month most likely
 Koffin
07-12-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Exar Kun II
Well, some of you people will just have to end your subscription to some of those. . .*cough*. . . other sites. :D

NEVER!!!!
 Wraith 8
07-15-2002, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Koffin

NEVER!!!! hahhahahhahahahahah
 D@rth M@ul
07-25-2002, 9:27 PM
lol paying for pr0n.
hah
 Mandalorian iTi
07-25-2002, 11:14 PM
well i just looked at the FAQ on swgalaxies.net and it stated the it will most likely be 10$ a month:D
 Mandalorian iTi
07-26-2002, 12:19 AM
i dont really want to pay more than 10$, i mean look at it this way: There will be soo many people playing this game, more if the price is low, i mean just look at how many post are in the forums, i know that doesnt mean how many people are actually in here, and people tell friends about this game. SO IF THE PRICE IS SAY.......8$ thats not bad considering how many times they will get 8$ from so many ppl!;)
 jaybiggspr
07-30-2002, 6:38 AM
Is LucasArts nuts??? Do they really need to charge so much? I mean come on, there must be nearly a billion Star Wars fans out there. Probably about 83% of those fans have a computer, and probably 55% of THOSE fans probably have broadband. That leaves about 3 or 4 hundred MILLION people who are capable of buying this game. The game servers really cant cost 40 million dollars a year (or month for that matter) to run and operate. I think they will lose more if they charge soooooo much because not only do these people have to have a computer that can run this massive game, they need cable t.v., and not to forget the 30-40 bucks a month to have broadband!! Also, they need to pay the $74.99 (Canadian) just to own the game and a working serial no. Above all of that, they need about 20-30 hours a week of free time just to get there money's worth.

It just seems........well, stupid.

Thanks, I got a lot off my chest with that one.
 Gaalgoth
07-30-2002, 4:46 PM
no, they aren't nuts, because they will get the money. look at games like everquest. see how successful they are/were? sure, some people will be turned off by the monthly fee, but what the hell does lucasarts care? they will still get plenty of money. Sorry dude, but even if a million of your 4 million possible clients deny to buy this game, they'll still be making 30 million from your 3 million that will by the game. they're going to charge money, and that's just what it's going to be.
 jaybiggspr
07-31-2002, 7:36 AM
Well thats exactly what I'm saying, Everquest, although very popular, does not even get close to the amount of subscribers that SWGalaxies will get. I mean come on, the graphics in that game are very outdated and so is the play mechanism. Therefore, they WONT need to charge as much as they did and STILL double or triple the profit that everquest has generated.
 jaybiggspr
07-31-2002, 7:38 AM
Oh, and by the way, I wasnt suggesting it to be free or anything.
 Ewok Hunter
07-31-2002, 4:20 PM
EQ has bad graphics, what about UO. it is five years old and they cancelled the plans for coming out with a 3D sequel. instead they want more sprites. serriously, they can only increase the specs for an established game by small increments to aviod alienating existing users.
 Mandalorian iTi
08-01-2002, 12:25 AM
like i said before, 10$ is reasonable, dont u think?

Originally posted by Mandalorian iTi
well i just looked at the FAQ on swgalaxies.net and it stated the it will most likely be 10$ a month:D
 Kylco Cotam
08-03-2002, 11:28 PM
I have a feeling that it will depend on how popular the games gonna be prices may change for one to another over time because the more ppl playing the more servers are gonna be needed and so will money so prices may vary.
 Ewok Hunter
08-03-2002, 11:47 PM
the key is working well, a few people won't cause too much lag, past the # of people required to be able to pay enough to maitain the basic servers they proably don't need the full $10 to keep up each additional person
 Kylco Cotam
08-04-2002, 1:08 AM
Thats probly true but you cant be positive i mean this stuff can be pritty expencive i mean we dont know and plus you have to remember these companies r alwasy looking to make a huge profit and thats put aside from all the expences of making the game from employees to materials it all adds up.
 Ewok Hunter
08-04-2002, 7:14 PM
yeah, they got the beta one people to pay $6 for the disk, think how much the later betas will cost
 D@rth M@ul
08-06-2002, 1:22 AM
send me 29 dollars and I will give you the beta.

C'mon I would like a real lightsaber, So I need your funds :D
 Ewok Hunter
08-06-2002, 8:47 PM
the actors only get hilts with colored sticks to use for the movie, what do you want? ;)
 12thMonkey
08-10-2002, 7:35 PM
$10 sounds like the highest price i am willing to pay cos i do understand the costs of running the game online.

I just hope that it will be $10 not Ј10.
 Ewok Hunter
08-11-2002, 12:51 AM
well, I checked and sony online entertainment came up at verant.com, so it assume that they're the same company. anyway their mailing contact address is in San Diego, CA. I livein the Suburbs near San Diego, and I have never noticed too many people paying with British currency arround here. so yes, it will proabably be in $s.

*see a nice, logical explanition why it isn't going to be pounds, not flaming;)*
 setsuko
08-11-2002, 4:30 AM
For everyone comparing the amount of subscribers in EQ and UO and SWG; there's one REALLY big difference: When UO was released, there was one MMORPG on the market. When EQ was released, there were two. When SWG arrives, hopefully this autumn, there will be dozens. And within one year, over a hundred. Most will crash and burn pretty bad, yes, but they will still take away a lot of subscribers. One million players? Yes, and santa's my uncle! :D
 Tyrion
08-11-2002, 4:55 AM
Originally posted by setsuko
For everyone comparing the amount of subscribers in EQ and UO and SWG; there's one REALLY big difference: When UO was released, there was one MMORPG on the market. When EQ was released, there were two. When SWG arrives, hopefully this autumn, there will be dozens. And within one year, over a hundred. Most will crash and burn pretty bad, yes, but they will still take away a lot of subscribers. One million players? Yes, and santa's my uncle! :D

Oh goody can I ask him for a SW galaxies with no pay-per-month?

:D :D :D
 Jan Gaarni
08-11-2002, 5:26 AM
Well, lets look at it this way, Set. ;)

UO isn't SW.
EQ isn't SW.
Hell, nothing out there is Star Wars. :p

But yeah, seriously, 1 million seems alittle too much, even for a Star Wars game. :)

EDIT: Errr, what am I replying to again? If I'm not making sense, just ignore me here. :p
 setsuko
08-11-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

EDIT: Errr, what am I replying to again? If I'm not making sense, just ignore me here. :p

You can say THAT again, mr. Garrisson! :D I'm not the best sensemaker around here, either. But thinking that every SW fan on earth will play a PC game because, well, it's about SW, is very naive.
 Jan Gaarni
08-11-2002, 12:18 PM
Ah, then I was replying to the right thing. :D

And that first part was a joke. ;)

1 million seems abit too much to me too. :)
 Ewok Hunter
08-11-2002, 2:12 PM
Set, are you saying that yoda stories didn't break any selling records, the blasphamy :p
 setsuko
08-12-2002, 11:13 PM
Not even it's incredible cuteness made it a big seller, strangely not. I mean, who could NOT play a game with a wobbling head running around, pretending to be Luke? Aaaaaww.... :)

(Though, the ewoks in that game were cute fo' reel!)
 "thA dekMan"
09-04-2002, 4:06 PM
hmz well i would obviously perfer to play $10. but thats not gonna happen so it will prolly be around $15. But thats USD... and I'm from CANADA so yeah! 20-25 dollars yeah! That sucks lol. I hope they take other countries into consideration because that can spell a lot for people from say, new zealand (i think.)

And there will be so many people, they wouldn't really need it high because they will be making tons because of all the costumers. I just hope they don't think "oh we have so many people, lets make it higher and we will make more and if people can't pay to bad!"

They did say that they it would be competitively priced with other online games. But does this mean they will make it lower, so more people want to play it instead of others cuz its cheaper... or just the same? :confused:
 Ewok Hunter
09-04-2002, 7:44 PM
tsk, tsk dek;)
anyway, now that i's back does anyone have any info on how the other MMORPGS are priced to other coutries? just $10 Us converted to the other form of currency?
 "thA dekMan"
09-04-2002, 10:18 PM
yea I kno man, I looked at the date and I thought oh what the hell, its better than starting a new topic lol.

It was like 3 or 4 threads down lol. Its not my fault no one posts :p

personally i think they it should be $15 bucks in EVERY country,in there currency. Its not like we make more money up in canada than you guys do in america to make up for our crappy dollar. Its not our fault our dollar sucks.
 Ewok Hunter
09-06-2002, 6:30 PM
so in japan it would be arround the equvilent of 15 UC cents? i don't think so
 "thA dekMan"
09-07-2002, 5:51 PM
yea that wouldn't work, i just hope they take stuff like that into consideration when deciding pricing. Like they could charge canadians 15-16, because I mean its still the same, but in a country where there money isn't worth crap like yen... then it would be more.
 ibballin
09-15-2002, 2:39 PM
i think im willing to pay 10-15$ it seems fair and i think that can make them a big profit and be able to upgrade servers.
 Murashu
09-21-2002, 12:37 PM
I expect the price to be between $12.95-15.00.

Online games have been charging $10+ for many years now and have huge followings. They have proven that people will pay well for a great game.

I was spending $300+ a month for racing online back when we had to dial up long distance to boston, ma. Thankfully when T.E.N came out the prices dropped back to $9.95 but as many people witnessed, people will pay to play.
 Thew Rydur
09-21-2002, 4:14 PM
300 a month for a game? That seems a bit much.
 ibballin
09-21-2002, 5:18 PM
$300 a month:eek: is that US currency? thats a brand new console with games. and if you have consoles already thats a new video card. :D
Page: 1 of 2