Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Continuity Broken

Page: 1 of 1
 Twinstar02
05-22-2002, 11:55 PM
Ok. Im pretty impressed how they have tied up most of the loose ends between all the movies, but one occurred to me.

In ANH why does Owen Lars not recognize c-3po if he owned him only 20 years or so ago? Dont tell me because he wasnt gold or something. No excuse. Do you speak bocchi indeed! He should have known.

-TS02
 Jedi_Monk
05-23-2002, 2:10 AM
In ANH why does Owen Lars not recognize c-3po if he owned him only 20 years or so ago? Dont tell me because he wasnt gold or something. No excuse. Do you speak bocchi indeed! He should have known.
The C3PO model is mass-produced all across the galaxy! The Trade Federation had one, there were several aboard Leia's ship when it was captured and there were also some on Hoth! There are billions of them!
 Skyro
05-23-2002, 2:53 AM
That explains Owen's lack of recognition well enough for me, but I hope it'll be explained in Episode III how C3PO manages to not recognize the homestead, Owen, or even the planet of Tatooine. I know people are saying that his memory will be erased, but does C3PO not say "No more adventures, R2!" and a rash of other things during A New Hope that indicate that he had not had his memory erased because he remembers everything he's been through?

If his memory is erased, then there would be an inconsistancy. If it wasn't, there would still be an inconsistancy. I really want to see Episode III!
 Jedi_Monk
05-23-2002, 3:06 AM
I know people are saying that his memory will be erased, but does C3PO not say "No more adventures, R2!" and a rash of other things during A New Hope that indicate that he had not had his memory erased because he remembers everything he's been through?
Doesn't he say "No more adventures" after they've landed on Tatooine? More likely than not, he's referring to the attack on Leia's Blockade Runner and R2 stuffing him into an escape pod, not to the battle of Geonesis.
 Skyro
05-23-2002, 4:25 AM
Yeah, it seems like it could go either way, doesn't it? The way they said it sure seemed like they meant more than just that one experience, though.
 MotionMan
05-23-2002, 6:30 PM
some part in Episode3 c3po may get repaired by someone or bought/stolen. Then he gets the gold coverings and gets his memeory erased. Somehow he gets reunited with r2 and the gang and joins them in some adventures before episode 4.

thats the best I can come up with.:)
 Keiran Halcyon
05-23-2002, 6:35 PM
Gold coverings? i thougt it was paint, or crome... (with gold or something)
 MotionMan
05-23-2002, 6:43 PM
Im not 100% sure they are solid gold. I think they are just gold colored. I dont think thay are just paint. I mean his old coverings are all dented and rusted. So i think they are totally new gold colored coverings. I could be wrong though...
 Jedi_Monk
05-23-2002, 6:50 PM
My thinking is--3PO and R2 are with Amidala when she flees to Alderaan to escape her psychotic husband. Amidala becomes a handmaid of the Alderaanian Royal Family so she can raise Leia. She dies of a "broken heart" (very fairy-tale ending) when Leia is, maybe, three to five years old. Since gold is an indication of wealth, the 3PO interpreters of the Royal Family are given gold plating. There is at least one other 3PO unit seen on Leia's blockade runner and it, too, is gold (if a slightly lighter hue than 3PO).

3PO is willed to Leia after Amidala dies as an interpreter on diplomatic missions. 3PO knows everything, knows Amidala's true identity, knows the real father of Leia, knows the whereabouts of Ben Kenobi--can't have that as 3PO seems like the kind who would blab everything. So his memory is wiped.

The radio drama indicates that R2's memory was wiped, as well. Leia programmed him to take the message to Ben Kenobi, gave him the coordinates as to where to locate Ben and to stop at nothing until it was delivered. Leia never knew Ben, but heard about him from her "father", Bail Organa, who told her that they had fought together in the Clone Wars and that if Alderaan was ever in danger again, that Old Ben was the person to go to.
 Twinstar02
05-24-2002, 12:56 AM
Jedi-Monk,

Your theory of Amidala as the heartbroken maiden has one problem with it.

Anakin kills her in episode 3.

-TS02
 Taximes
05-24-2002, 1:36 AM
Originally posted by Twinstar02
Jedi-Monk,

Your theory of Amidala as the heartbroken maiden has one problem with it.

Anakin kills her in episode 3.

-TS02

Theres no way he kills her...if anything, she dies and thats why he turns to the dark side.
 Skyro
05-24-2002, 4:14 AM
A friend of mine commented on the idea that Padme dies in Episode III. He reminded me of the scene in Return of the Jedi where Luke asks Leia about her mother. Leia says that she doesn't remember much, because her mother died when she was very young. "She was very beautiful [and] kind, but... sad." My friend suggested that to remember that much, you'd have to be around three years old. Also, Padme was "sad." We belive that she was sad because of Anikin's turn to the dark side or some other event known to take place in Episode III.

We're thinking that she doesn't die in Episode III, but between III and IV because of the years she would be caring for Leia on Alderaan. This seems to be the only time Padme would be "sad" and have Leia be alive at the same time. This time period would last several years, according to our calculations, so it would probably not be covered, beginning to end, in a single episode (the only one we have left to look forward to).

If she were to die, though, maybe it would be the Trade Federation's Viceroy, who's been trying to kill her all through Episode II, that would end up succeeding. He seems to be the most likely person to do it. However, I still doubt she'll die in Episode III at all.
 Frumpus
05-24-2002, 6:53 AM
At first I thought Ep3 would see Padme just finding out she was pregnant near the end of the show, so Anakin/Vader wouldn't know - otherwise I'd NEVER understand why Vader or the Emperor wouldn't have looked on Alderaan and Tatooine for the two kids to kill them.

But, the "kind, but . . . sad" bit made me rethink: Leia at least must have spent some time with Padme (perhaps on Alderaan), but I think Padme has to die some time in Ep3. So, either Padme, Anakin, Luke and Leia together all hide out for a few years from the known world (and from Palpatine) until the events of Ep3, or. . . . . hmm, I dunno what. It doesn't seem to fit just yet. It would seem pretty tough to hide from the Emperor the fact that Anakin and Padme had two children - else he would have searched, and searched, and hunted them down! (so says Obi-wan in "Ep6 I think)

I actually would rather that we don't even get to see the twins in Ep3 at all (just a "hint" that they're in-the-oven), but I'm not sure WHEN else Lucas could address these outstanding issues - he's only got one more movie to tie it all up! I'm pretty sure we'll at least see them born (maybe Padme dies in childbirth, and Leia actually "knows" her mother only by the Force in the womb? Actually, it's wierd but I've heard of events during pregnancy having SIGNIFICANT effects on children later on! Or retro-hypnosis (sp?) going back even that far!)

Why doesn't Owen Lars remember 3P0? He is a crusty old fart who must have spent too much time soaking it up in his oil bath. . . . . (Yeah, I know, there really isn't a good explanation for this. Spending ten YEARS with a droid and you forget "him"?? hmm.)

P.S. Oh, don't forget 3P0's silver leg!

P.P.S Oh, another thing. I noticed this after Ep1 came out: In Ep4-6, Vader/Anakin NEVER comes into direct contact with R2 or 3P0! (Am I right?) I thought this VERY peculiar, but totally perfect to fit with the plot!
 JK_Morovski
05-24-2002, 7:55 AM
the way i see it, padme, yoda and obi wan will escape at the near end of Ep3. Padme already preggers.

they go to dagobah, the kids are born, bail takes padme and leia to alderaan and obi takes luke to tatooine.

if padme can have a decoy mistaken for her and killed in two films, she could hide out on alderaan
 Darklighter
05-24-2002, 8:26 AM
But surely somehow Padme must die so the viewers can see how. I'm not say I want Natalie Portman out of the picture, she's brilliant, but look at this direct wuote from ROTJ:

Luke: Leia, do you remeber your mother, your real mother?
Leia: Just a little bit, she died when I was very young.

I don't know, it will be left a bit unfinished if Lucas does not explain how/why.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-24-2002, 9:58 AM
Well C-3PO and R2-D2 could have their memories wiped when the child are born and delivered to their places, so they would not know anything about luke, tatooine, owen and then could not tell anyone about it.

I think that we'll see the twin been born, but maybe we only hear a child cry, so we don't know how many are (it would be an spoiler to ROJ for future generations) and maybe we do not see anakin becomig darht vader, to evade the spoiling again, we only see him falling and maybe getting of the pit, but nothing more.
 Skyro
05-24-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Keiran_Halcyon
...and maybe we do not see anakin becomig darth vader, to evade the spoiling again, we only see him falling and maybe getting of the pit, but nothing more.

What pit are you referring to? You think that Anikin gets injured enough to wear all that machinery by accident?

I always thought Obi Wan would slice Anikin's lungs with a lightsaber, myself. Obi Wan would stand over Anikin's torn-up body, ready to kill him, when he remembers the prophesy that Anikin will restore balance to the force. Then, Obi Wan realises he cannot kill Anikin or the prophesy won't come true. Thus, Obi Wan doesn't finish Anikin. Somehow, he's rescued and put in Darth Vader's suit.

Anyway, I still think that Padme doesn't die in Episode III. The way she dies could still be explained in the movie (Padme loses all Jedi protection, and the Trade Federation Viceroy goes after her, or she gets diagnosed with cancer or something), but it wouldn't actually happen until years afterward because of the time she would have needed to raise Leia.
 RichDiesal
05-24-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Darklighter
But surely somehow Padme must die so the viewers can see how. I'm not say I want Natalie Portman out of the picture, she's brilliant, but look at this direct wuote from ROTJ:

Luke: Leia, do you remeber your mother, your real mother?
Leia: Just a little bit, she died when I was very young.

I don't know, it will be left a bit unfinished if Lucas does not explain how/why.

If Leia remembers anything about Padme at all, she must've been at least three or four years old, far after the timespan that Episode III will likely take place in... I mean really, do YOU remember how your mother treated you when you were 1 year old? :p
 Keiran Halcyon
05-24-2002, 3:43 PM
What pit are you referring to? You think that Anikin gets injured enough to wear all that machinery by accident?

I was refering to the supposed melting pit where obi-wan and ankin duel over it ( i suppose in a catwalk), as told in the Novelisation of ROJ.
 Jedi_Monk
05-24-2002, 6:39 PM
a) The RotJ novelization is suspect since in it Obi-Wan said Owen was his own brother, and now we know that this is not true.

b) Vader does come in contact with 3PO once on Bespin. When Boba Fett raises his blaster to blast Chewie in the Carbon-freezing chamber, Vader knocks it down--it's been suspected that this is because Vader recognized 3PO and didn't want him to be destroyed.

c) While there is a small chance that Vader recognized 3PO since he is the most powerful Force-user ever, it is most unlikely Owen would recognize him. Last time he sees 3PO, he has junk-heap coverings, not the gold plating--and the 3PO is an extremely common model of Protocal Droid. There are at least three other 3PO models in the original trilogy alone, and one more is seen on the Trade Federation ship at the beginning of Episode I.
 MotionMan
05-24-2002, 8:49 PM
Originally posted by Skyro

I always thought Obi Wan would slice Anikin's lungs with a lightsaber, myself. Obi Wan would stand over Anikin's torn-up body, ready to kill him, when he remembers the prophesy that Anikin will restore balance to the force. Then, Obi Wan realises he cannot kill Anikin or the prophesy won't come true. Thus, Obi Wan doesn't finish Anikin. Somehow, he's rescued and put in Darth Vader's suit.

I think that anikin kills off alot of jedi. Then in the battle with Obi wan, Anikin is winning the duel. Obi wan somehow manages to either trip or drop some thing on anikin to injure him or drop him into something. I think by the time anakin fights obi wan , anikin is much more powerfull than obi wan. Since he has killed alot of the jedis. The only way obi wan beats him was by using some kind of other tactic like being sneaky(ex. luring him into a hole or whatever).
It will be like the Darth Maul vs. obi wan, Qui Gon fight. Darth Maul was clearly winning the fight. He should have won it , but he was too confident and obi wan tricked him and killed him.

Thats what I think will happen:)
 Frumpus
05-24-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Monk
b) Vader does come in contact with 3PO once on Bespin. When Boba Fett raises his blaster to blast Chewie in the Carbon-freezing chamber, Vader knocks it down--it's been suspected that this is because Vader recognized 3PO and didn't want him to be destroyed.

c) While there is a small chance that Vader recognized 3PO since he is the most powerful Force-user ever, it is most unlikely Owen would recognize him. Last time he sees 3PO, he has junk-heap coverings, not the gold plating--and the 3PO is an extremely common model of Protocal Droid. There are at least three other 3PO models in the original trilogy alone, and one more is seen on the Trade Federation ship at the beginning of Episode I.

b) Ahh, thanks, Monk!

c) Hmm, yeah, I know about all the MANY 3P0 units in the galaxy, but I was referring more to C-3P0's voice, gesturing, and personality. It just seems too odd that Owen doesn't even HINT at remembering him in Ep4, after spending SO MUCH time with him earlier.
 visualTK
05-25-2002, 12:03 AM
What if... Padme *never* gets pregnant?

What if Yoda and Obi Wan take a sample of Anakin to the cloners and clone a couple of kids off of him? They alter the sample to make one boy and one girl (to make her presence easier to hide)?
 Jedi_Monk
05-25-2002, 12:14 AM
Frumpus: the voice and gestures are probably just part of the programming of the 3PO unit (yes, I know Anakin built 3PO, but I don't think the kid constructed and programmed the droidbrain), in which case all 3PO units of a certain class would have the same voice and manerisms.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-25-2002, 6:13 PM
I think all protocol droids are pedant :D

I don't recall reading in the novel of ROJ that Owen was Obi-wan's brother....
 Cow_JK:O
05-25-2002, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by MotionMan

I think that anikin kills off alot of jedi. Then in the battle with Obi wan, Anikin is winning the duel. Obi wan somehow manages to either trip or drop some thing on anikin to injure him or drop him into something. I think by the time anakin fights obi wan , anikin is much more powerfull than obi wan. Since he has killed alot of the jedis. The only way obi wan beats him was by using some kind of other tactic like being sneaky(ex. luring him into a hole or whatever).
It will be like the Darth Maul vs. obi wan, Qui Gon fight. Darth Maul was clearly winning the fight. He should have won it , but he was too confident and obi wan tricked him and killed him.

Thats what I think will happen:)

That'd make a good deal of sense because we see Obi-Wan more as cunning than skilled, unlike Anakin who is rather..less than intelligent.
 razorace
05-28-2002, 2:18 AM
Well, we don't know how much time Owen spent around C3PO.

I don't think C3PO or R2 have been mindwiped. Originally, Lucas stated that the story is suppose to be told by 3PO. Just because 3PO was at a location when something happened doesn't mean that he understood what was happening. (3PO always seems confused.) Plus, many people in Star Wars don't treat droids like people; It's likely that 3PO would not be told secret information.
It should also be noted that C3PO mentioned that his first job was rather similar to moaster avaporater binary code....
Page: 1 of 1