Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Start again...

Page: 1 of 1
 Zanzibar
01-24-2000, 10:07 PM
Yep, I loaded TPM and started playing it again...wow. After watching it on the Playstation for several months, it sure is nice to see it in high-res on the PC. Boy, what I wouldn't have given to do a Dreamcast port of it. In addition to fixing some of the problems, we could have put the drivable Tank and Stap back in, not to mention perhaps even throwing in a Gungan Ground Battle level between Assault on Theed and Final Battle. Wouldn't it have been fun to play as Captain Tarpals, being able to commandeer an AAT tank or a STAP, and fighting to keep Trade Federation forces at bay while the Gungan soldiers retreat? Ah well.

All in all, it's refreshing to see TPM in its glory again, faults and all.
 Qui-Gon Jinn
01-24-2000, 11:25 PM
Zanzibar, what kind of 3D Accelerator do you have? I have a Voodoo3 2000 PCI.

------------------
"Be Mindful of the Living Force." - Qui-Gon Jinn
 Hit4Cycle
01-25-2000, 12:14 AM
Qui-Gon, you have the exact same card as I do. I hope you like it as much as I do.
 Qui-Gon Jinn
01-25-2000, 10:52 AM
You do? When did you buy it? I bought mine like a week ago.

------------------
 Zanzibar
01-25-2000, 3:37 PM
Believe it or not, we're still running the original Monster Voodoo1 cards from Diamond. I'm running the game on a PII-266mhz, and while it does indeed slow down from time to time, overall the Voodoo1 does a nice job.
 Qui-Gon Jinn
01-25-2000, 9:39 PM
Whoa, Voodoo1?? I have a P200 48 MB RAM with Voodoo3, and its VERY slow, even with all "Extra" stuff turned off.

------------------
 Zanzibar
01-25-2000, 9:52 PM
It's the P200 that's killing your framerate then, not the video card. I have the same problem at home. I too have a P1-200mhz with 48mb RAM on my home machine, and I had a Voodoo1 card on there originally. Since TPM ran like a dog on it, I upgraded to a Voodoo2 card, but there was almost no difference in the framerate. My guess is that the AI stuff and the particle systems are eating up processor speed, not graphical speed.
 Hit4Cycle
01-26-2000, 10:05 PM
I run my Voodoo3 on a PII 475 and TPM looks awesome on it. Its not slow at all!
 Qui-Gon Jinn
01-28-2000, 7:41 PM
Of course! You have a PII 475 Mhz Machine! I have a PI 200! Oh, and Zanzibar, I can run Racer or Rogue Squadron fine, but the only problem is TPM. That is the only game that actually runs slow on my computer. Is there any way to fix it? I have every "detail" turned off, and its still slow.

------------------
 Zanzibar
01-28-2000, 9:11 PM
Again, it's probably terminal, because TPM requires a LOT more processing capacity than Racer or RS. The AI routines in TPM eat up a lot of processing speed - basically, well over 200 AIs per level have to be processed simultaneously. Racer is more about the map, and once you load those polys on the racecourse once, you're just rendering them at high rates of speed. There's very little AI stuff going on there. And RS is the same way, each AI (snicker) is basically area-based, so that the TIEs run in circles, but only when you get near.

So no, it's the number of computing cycles for the AIs that are bogging TPM down for you, and there's no remedy but a faster CPU.
 Qui-Gon Jinn
01-28-2000, 11:04 PM
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Now I'm stuck with the PSX Version!! NOOO!!)

------------------
 anikan_pm
02-04-2000, 7:15 AM
Hey, Well considering you lot have better spec PC than me the Games run faster each time that I play it!!!
Heres my specs: ATI XPERT@PLAY 98 4MB
32Mb RAM
P1 187MMX Processer (Overclocked)
SO as u can see its a little slower than all of yours but the games still goes!!

------------------
At last I will have my revenge.
 JeffTL
02-05-2000, 2:22 PM
My P1-166MMX/DM3DII.8mb machine runs TPM quite well, so a 200 should be real good.
 Qui-Gon Jinn
02-06-2000, 1:57 PM
Are you kidding me?? In have a Voodoo3 with 16mb, and TPM still runs like crap. Where I am supposed to slice battle droids, it takes forever to work a lightsaber. Is there anyway to make the resolution,lower than 600x480?

[This message has been edited by Qui-Gon Jinn (edited February 06, 2000).]
 Conor
02-07-2000, 3:10 PM
HA! The Voodoo 3 sucks, *snort* *chuckle* please...stop, you're hurting me... can't stop laughing. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

------------------
"There cannot be any 'story' without a fall - all stories are ultimately about the fall - at least not for human minds as we know them and have them."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
 solo_anakin
02-08-2000, 11:47 AM
I'm stuck on the tatoine level. Wher in the world is Jar-Jar (the stupid moron that he is). I cannot finish the level (I have the PC version).
 Zanzibar
02-08-2000, 4:37 PM
Try looking in the spa. As you go around Espa towards the Slave Quarters, you'll see two Eopies (camel-looking things being led by Jawas). Keep going, and the first door you see on the left past the Eopies should be where Jar-Jar is. This is assuming, of course, that you have all of Anakin's podracer parts.
 Qui-Gon Jinn
02-08-2000, 9:09 PM
Voodoo3 sucks?? FWA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!! (I'm cracking up here!)

------------------
 Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-09-2000, 4:18 AM
Okay, you can do worse than the Voodoo3, but it's not the best out there. Tell me, does it have hardware T&L support? NO! Of course there won't be many games that support hardware T&L, that will be coming out over the next year, but I would expect to gain more support in all the big titles, the next year.

I also haven't been too impressed by the picture quality, but that is of course subjective.

Another thing, the Voodoo 3 only has a dual, 32-bit texture rendering architecture, while newer cards such as the 3D Blaster Annihilator Pro, have four 32-bit 3D rendering pipelines capable of single-pass, 8-tap anisotropic filtering.

The Voodoo 3 isn't the best you could do. There are several cards already out that are much better.

Of course, the Voodoo3 3500 TV is kind of nice, but I'd go with a DDR GeForce card (faster, looks good, and has Hardware T&L support (among MANY features)).

Perhaps "sucks" isn't the right word. "Isn't good enough for my new computer" is a better term.

-UkeNuke www.monolith3d.com) (http://www.monolith3d.com)

------------------
The Darkside? I've been there. Do your worst.
 Conor
02-09-2000, 1:20 PM
Top of the line? Not quite anymore. Perfectly acceptable for playing today's games? Absolutely. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

It doesn't support some of the newer stuff, but the next 3dfx cards will undoubtably do so, and that is probably what made it so much cheaper than that ultra TNT 2 one.

I haven't missed 32-bit color anyway, and Uneal Tournament and Wheel of Time fly.

------------------
"There cannot be any 'story' without a fall - all stories are ultimately about the fall - at least not for human minds as we know them and have them."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
 solo_anakin
02-10-2000, 11:48 AM
I have a P2 400 w/128 MB of RAM and a RIVA 128 w/4 MB and I can run TPM fine will all grapihc oiptions on.
 Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-10-2000, 8:29 PM
Wow, big accomplishment. I can run the game with all graphics on with my AMD K6 200 w/64MB SDRAM and a Real 3D StarFighter PCI 16mb.

------------------
 JeffTL
02-22-2000, 9:07 PM
Serious! My 166 is capable of running TPM, but I sent for my PIII-300 on Saturday and its ETA is March 6th.
 Argath
02-22-2000, 10:22 PM
I have two major problems with your posts in this thread.

1) Your statements that the Voodoo3 sucks because it isn't the fasest card available

2) You seem to overlook the fact that Qui-Gon Jinn's CPU is causing bad performance, not his video card. A GeForce would run no better than a Voodoo3 on his system, and to tell him his video card sucks is ignorant.

Okay, you can do worse than the Voodoo3, but it's not the best out there. Tell me, does it have hardware T&L support? NO! Of course there won't be many games that support hardware T&L, that will be coming out over the next year, but I would expect to gain more support in all the big titles, the next year.
I also haven't been too impressed by the picture quality, but that is of course subjective.

Maybe if the Voodoo3 was released when nvidia released the GeForce your argument would be valid. Unfortunately, the fact that the Voodoo3 was released last April makes feature comparisons with a card released more than six months later pointless. The Voodoo3 is still a capable performer, and for the price, should be a valid choice for someone purchasing a new computer.

Another thing, the Voodoo 3 only has a dual, 32-bit texture rendering architecture, while newer cards such as the 3D Blaster Annihilator Pro, have four 32-bit 3D rendering pipelines capable of single-pass, 8-tap anisotropic filtering.

All of which is irrelevent. Actual performance scores are what matters, and the Voodoo3 performs well even compared to the GeForce. Take a look at any of the benchmarks you can find on the various hardware web sites. A Voodoo3 is quite capable of running practically anything the GeForce can run.

The Voodoo 3 isn't the best you could do. There are several cards already out that are much better.

I count very few. I'd like a bit of an explanation on what you mean when you say there are "several cards already out that are much better" than the Voodoo3. The Voodoo3 is basically a TNT2 equivalent, and both cards are still excellent performers, even when compared to a GeForce, Rage Fury MAXX, or Savage 2000.

Of course, the Voodoo3 3500 TV is kind of nice, but I'd go with a DDR GeForce card (faster, looks good, and has Hardware T&L support (among MANY features)).

It's also too expensive to justify the speed increase you'll get over buying a TNT2 or Voodoo3. If you have money to burn, buy a DDR GeForce. I don't see how that makes the Voodoo3 or anything that isn't as fast suck.

Perhaps "sucks" isn't the right word. "Isn't good enough for my new computer" is a better term

"Sucks" and "Voodoo3" are mutually exclusive terms. Due to its low price and excellent performance, a Voodoo3 is still a viable option for anyone purchasing a new computer. You can spend your money however you want, but it's foolish to tell other people the Voodoo3 sucks just because it's no longer the fastest card available.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 22, 2000).]
 Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-22-2000, 11:18 PM
"You seem to overlook the fact that Qui-Gon Jinn's CPU is causing bad performance, not his video card."

If you actually READ what I said you would have seen this statement:

"you're probably being limited by your processing power if it runs like trash at 640x480."

As for your criticism of my using the term "sucks", in reference to Voodoo 3, I don't care too much for you're approach. You come off sounding extremely argumentative, which only makes the other person become defensive. I used "sucks", merely to state my opinion of the card. I personally don't care for the Voodoo 3. That's my opinion. If you LIKE the card, then that's YOUR opinion. I respect that, even though I feel that you can do much better (I believe the features that a card comes with, such as hardware T&L support, are worth the extra money).

Please don't criticize my grammar, like you've done to others. I CAN write a coherent sentence. I just have NO TIME to check over this.

Lead Texture Artist
Phoenix Digital

------------------
 Argath
02-22-2000, 11:37 PM
Perhaps I'd be a bit more sympathetic towards your views if they hadn't been originally stated in the form of an attack. You had no reason or right to tell Qui-Gon Jinn that his Voodoo3 sucks, and the fact that his video card has nothing to do with his problems further proves how pointless it was for you to even bring up the subject in the first place.

I honestly don't care what you think of the card, but if you're not going to qualify your statement by objectively explaining the differences between the Voodoo3 and other harware, please keep your snide comments to yourself. There's absolutely no reason to tell someone that his hardware sucks just because it's no longer the fastest on the market.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 22, 2000).]
 Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-23-2000, 3:45 AM
I only brought up the video card because that's all Qui-Gon said. Here's what he said:

In have a Voodoo3 with 16mb, and TPM still runs like crap.

Do you see any mention of a processor speed, or any other specs? No. He simply mentioned his video card.

Also, I've already admitted that I was wrong and that "sucks" was the wrong word.

There, I just deleted the "controversial" post. I apologize to Argath and Qui-Gon (as well as anyone else), if I hurt their feelings.

-UkeNuke

------------------
 Argath
02-25-2000, 8:29 PM
Whoa, Voodoo1?? I have a P200 48 MB RAM with Voodoo3, and its VERY slow, even with all "Extra" stuff turned off.
-Qui-Gon Jinn

Verbally attacking a video card doesn't hurt my feelings, but misinforming people by presenting ignorant, opinionated comments as fact does annoy me. I don't want an apology, just an assurance that it's not going to happen again.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited February 25, 2000).]
 Qui-Gon Jinn
02-25-2000, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I did feel a little bad for myself. But if you apologize, Grand Admiral Thrawn, I will accept it.

------------------
http://www.JediKnight.8k.com)

Grand Admiral Thrawn
02-26-2000, 9:59 PM
Okay Qui-Gon, I apologize once again. I'm sorry. I was wrong.

As for Argath, thanks for pointing out my being wrong, but in the future, try to be less argumentative, okay? You might get a better response from people, if you don't put them on the defensive.

------------------
 JeffTL
03-02-2000, 8:53 PM
Did I say 300 MHz about my new computer? It's a 500, and TPM works!
Page: 1 of 1