Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Does anyone think they overdid special FX?

Page: 1 of 1
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 8:49 AM
There were some scenes where I just thought "oh well, Industrial Light & Magic, we all know you can do it." :rolleyes: but where the special fx didn't really add to the story.

For example the scene in the droid factory where C3PO pulls off all kinds of indiana-jones stunts, hanging off from this floating droid. How ridiculous is that?! :rolleyes: In Episode IV he can't even walk properly in the sand, now he's cliffhanging and doing all kinds of stunts. To me that seemed unneccessary.

Also sometimes it just seemed that there were just too many strange-looking aliens, distracting from the story.

I mean its great to use this technology e.g. for creating a Yoda that can walk and fight and not having to rely on Frank Oz moving a puppet from a hole in the ground. Also I liked the monsters in the arena. But in some scenes I thought, they just overdid it a bit.

Another example: Noticed the computer generated fruit that Anakin and Padme shared? I mean it was cool how he played around with the force (this scene adding a lot to Anakins character: that ist not Jedi-like, "abusing" the force to woe women! Shows his arrogance towards the Jedi codex!) but please, when it comes to eating it, make it a goddamn real fruit! When Padme bites off, everyone could tell, it wasn't a real fruit!

Your thoughts?
 Star ReaVeR
05-21-2002, 9:11 AM
well but then again my friend this is a galaxy far far away and I don't think they eat hotdogs there , instead of that they would like crappy fruit or jawa juice or bantha meat .... mmmmm yum
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 9:22 AM
Well, how do you like the parody of this all-amercian diner then, where Obi Wan asks his firend about that poisonend dart? That waitress "D'you wnat coffee, honey?".. Kind of an extraordinary coincidence, that this looks so much the same than good ol' USA, isnt it? ;)

Also, I didn't say "make it a fruit that grows on planet earth" but "make it a real fruit that Padme actually can bite off." Cause that was all blue screen. She's just biting nothing and they added the fruit on the computer and IMO you can tell way too easily.
 Sgt.BF
05-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Yeah, CG sucks, imho. It's cheap to do, fair enough, but it's lower quality than puppet work etc. and they use it way too much. I'm not a big fan of those Huge sets either (council, arena, podrace, speeder bike bit, in the 2 factories). Maybe the camera's too wide-angle or something, but it just doesn't look right. I say being forced to use real sets/props/puppets/stuntmen is way more effective at making it believable. Would have forced them to cut costs elsewhere, perhapse making the film shorter too ;' >
Page: 1 of 1