Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Hyperspace...how does it work?

Page: 1 of 2
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 10:24 AM
I'm wondering what all the calculations are doing for them. Can you turn and manuver while in hyperspace or is it just a straight line kinda thing? If it's just a straight line then what are they calculating? You can only go straight and you don't ever see them making more than one jump in the movies. I just don't get it. If you can turn while in hyperspace then why would you ever make more then one jump? You don't have to throw people off if you can turn. AHHHHHHHHHH!:explode:
 JEDI_MASTA
08-29-2001, 10:29 AM
dude their calculating so they dont run into o planet or a star but its a strait line
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 10:32 AM
So they calculate and say well yep we are gonna run into a star no hyperspace for us. What? They do all these calculations and then go in the same straight line that they were gonna go in anyway. I've never seen them have a star in their way before. It doesn't make sense. Think about it.
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 10:52 AM
They calculate the jump to hyperspace so they don't run in to everything. They calculate the movement of stars, astroids, and planets so they do't run into them and vaporize. Sure there is always a chance on running into a rogue astroid or something but I'm the benefits outway the consequences :)
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 11:10 AM
I understand what they are calculating I just don't get why. If they calculate all that stuff why do they always go in the same straight line no matter what? That's the part that doesn't make sense.
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Dorsk8199
I understand what they are calculating I just don't get why. If they calculate all that stuff why do they always go in the same straight line no matter what? That's the part that doesn't make sense.
They go in a straight line because a straight line is he fastest way between two points.
They calculate all that stuff to see whats the safest straight line to travel in. :)
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 11:38 AM
Ok you are a genious. I want you to do something for me. Get out a piece of paper. Draw two dots a few inches away from each other. Now draw two different straight lines that connect the two points.
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Ok you are a genious. I want you to do something for me. Get out a piece of paper. Draw two dots a few inches away from each other. Now draw two different straight lines that connect the two points.
Listen, I'm only trying to help you. If you are going to be an ass about it then forget you! :mad:
BTW When ships travel in space it's 3d not 2d :rolleyes:
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to find an answer to my question. Not just some quick spat out thing that doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry if you got upset but I think even you can see how little sense your post made. Hopefully someone will come along who does know the answer.
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 12:08 PM
I'm trying to find an answer to my question. Not just some quick spat out thing that doesn't even make sense. I'm sorry if you got upset but I think even you can see how little sense your post made. Hopefully someone will come along who does know the answer.
Well i don't what you want to know. Masta and me told you they do all that calculations so they don't run into a Star or something. They go in a Straight line because it is the fastest point and because moving in hyperspace is too tricky.
 Boba Rhett
08-29-2001, 12:09 PM
*comes in and blows a whistle*

Alright you two, seperate corners, now!

Let's not turn this into a fight guys. :)

I see what Dorsk is getting at. Say if the falcon was jumping from Endor to Coruscant, they always end up right in from of Coruscant. Now, how could they make a straight line right to it if there was things they could hit? So they obviously must be turning somehow in hyperspace.
 Paragon_Leon
08-29-2001, 12:11 PM
cool down, folks.
Han Solo gave what was to be the 'official workings' of hyperspace calculation when they were chased out of Tatooine in Ep. 4. He basically said that without the proper course-setting (which had to be calculated), they could run into a star or something. If a star happened to be in the way of your ship and you had to make the jump to hyperspace, in the books they made several jumps to compensate. In the films they only showed the first jumps, always. Doesn't mean there weren't more jumps after that..
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
cool down, folks.
Han Solo gave what was to be the 'official workings' of hyperspace calculation when they were chased out of Tatooine in Ep. 4. He basically said that without the proper course-setting (which had to be calculated), they could run into a star or something. If a star happened to be in the way of your ship and you had to make the jump to hyperspace, in the books they made several jumps to compensate. In the films they only showed the first jumps, always. Doesn't mean there weren't more jumps after that..
Yeah they could make more jumps, but they could also make a jump at a different angle so to avoid hazards.
 Wraith 5
08-29-2001, 12:26 PM
has any one read the xwing book???

They say in there, they do all of thouse calculations so that they can find the fastes strait line with out runing into anything. Also they say that they make more then one jump, even if they could travel to the planet or place they want with only one jump.

space is a big empty thing. Most of the time if you want to you could draw a strait line in space to get from one place to another with out runing into anything, but that is not always the case, in which case you would have to make another jump. You can't turn in hyperspace, they say they travel in strait lines and make more then one jump if needed.

Yes Dorsk8199 if you travel in a strait line you would only need to calculat the jump once, that is way there are very highly used trade routes. And would you want to make sure nothing was in your way if you woun't be able to see it until you die. Please try to make more sence out of your question before you ask it to.
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 12:38 PM
That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks Wraith. What is the X-wing book you refer to. Is that to a game like X-wing vs Tie fighter or is there a game just called X-wing? Thanks for the help.
 Young David
08-29-2001, 12:44 PM
X-Wing is an old game ... but also a book series written by Mike Stackpole and Aaron Aalston
 Wraith 5
08-29-2001, 12:48 PM
it is a set of books writen by Mike Stackpole and Aaron Aalston like yd said.

Dorsk next time just try to be a little clearer on what you are trying to say ;)
 dvader07
08-29-2001, 12:50 PM
Ok, you guys, lets think about this. You are moving too fast in hyperspace to turn so that means you have to go straight. Secondly, the planets and comets, and all other sorts of space debris move in some sort of orbit or drift. There really isn't anything that is stationary in space (except stars, and they might be rotating around bigger stars). This means that if you are going to make the jump to lightspeed, you need to calculate the orbit and movement of all these things to make sure that there wouldn't be anything in your path. Now, you are right borsk to say that there is only one way to go from point a to point b in a straight line, but a planet or a system is not a tiny little point. You could jump to the right of the planet, the left of the planet, above the planet, below the planet, and if it is a system then there a lot more possiblities for where to end your jump. I don't think that they would be against using their primary drives to get from the end of their jump to their final destination if it wasn't that far. And then in the end, if you could'nt find a straight path (or if you were worried about someone following you) you would just have to make multiple jumps. That is how it works.
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by dvader07
Ok, you guys, lets think about this. You are moving too fast in hyperspace to turn so that means you have to go straight. Secondly, the planets and comets, and all other sorts of space debris move in some sort of orbit or drift. There really isn't anything that is stationary in space (except stars, and they might be rotating around bigger stars). This means that if you are going to make the jump to lightspeed, you need to calculate the orbit and movement of all these things to make sure that there wouldn't be anything in your path. Now, you are right borsk to say that there is only one way to go from point a to point b in a straight line, but a planet or a system is not a tiny little point. You could jump to the right of the planet, the left of the planet, above the planet, below the planet, and if it is a system then there a lot more possiblities for where to end your jump. I don't think that they would be against using their primary drives to get from the end of their jump to their final destination if it wasn't that far. And then in the end, if you could'nt find a straight path (or if you were worried about someone following you) you would just have to make multiple jumps. That is how it works.
YES!! Thats what I was meaning when I said you can jump from different angles! (I just didn't want to type it all out like you did :D)
 God
08-29-2001, 2:29 PM
is hyperspace some sort of parrell deminsion or something or is it going really fast? where do the swirls in hyperspace come from?:confused:
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 2:31 PM
Yeah Hyperpace is in another dimension. It makes it posible for ships to go much faster then the speed of light.
 Dorsk8199
08-29-2001, 2:45 PM
Do you know which X-wing book specifically? I've read Rogue Squadron through the Bacta Wars. I also read one Wraith Squadron (the one where face gets his scar fixed) and I've read I, Jedi.

About the different angles, that would be like less than 1% of a degree when you think about the distance they are traveling the angle would be very minute and to go at angle to get around a star you would have to make two jumps becuase you would be pretty far away from your system by the end. That is unless the star was very close to your final destination.
 Kvan
08-29-2001, 2:49 PM

About the different angles, that would be like less than 1% of a degree when you think about the distance they are traveling the angle would be very minute and to go at angle to get around a star you would have to make two jumps becuase you would be pretty far away from your system by the end. That is unless the star was very close to your final destination.
That is true. But you have to remember this is SW, don't take it to seriously :)
 Tie Guy
08-29-2001, 4:35 PM
Do you know which X-wing book specifically? I've read Rogue Squadron through the Bacta Wars. I also read one Wraith Squadron (the one where face gets his scar fixed) and I've read I, Jedi.

Ok, Dorsk, draw a 1 degree angle....and then stretch it to be millions upon millions of miles long, and you will see how much of a change there is. Of course, a 1 degree change doesn't make any difference over an inch, or even a mile, but we are dealing with many, many lightyears, where it does make a huge difference.

Also, Hyperspace is entered by twisting realspace, and its gravity. That is why a mass shadow pulls you out, your hyperdrive can not handle that much gravity, and it has to revert back to realspace. That is why it can damage your hyperdrive, a large amount of gravity strains the generator. How you go faster in hyperspace i do not know, but i think it is because space is compressed, but i'm not sure. Its just a movie after all.
 darthfergie
08-29-2001, 4:39 PM
www.stardestroyer.net)
(sorry about the bad link there:( It is fixed now)

A great place to go for ANY technical SW info.:D
Good site even has a comparison between ST and SW that is really cool.:)
 Admiral Odin
08-29-2001, 6:30 PM
my one question about hyperspace is. Can you see other ships in it or not.
 Darth_Rommel
08-29-2001, 6:58 PM
You would be moving way to fast to see any other vessels ;)
 Tie Guy
08-29-2001, 7:16 PM
Wellm, you can talk to people in hypersapce, and you can send transmissions with a hypercom unit. I'm not sure whether you can see each other, but you can talk to them.
 Admiral Odin
08-29-2001, 8:32 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Rommel
You would be moving way to fast to see any other vessels ;)

speed is realative. If you are going at the same speed you will see the other one just fine.
 oninosensi
08-29-2001, 9:54 PM
Ah, just let the R2 droids handle it.

:r2d2:
 Kavam1
08-31-2001, 9:49 AM
Just to clear up a little it is possible to maneuver in hyperspace but only a Jedi can do it (Courtship of Princess Leia) to put it in layman’s terms the person use the force to fly around mass shadow, and it’s not possible to talk in hyperspace (Black Fleet Crisis)
If any one doest understand what I’m talking about just say it and ill type a long post about it just say the word
 Kvan
08-31-2001, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Kavam1
Just to clear up a little it is possible to maneuver in hyperspace but only a Jedi can do it (Courtship of Princess Leia) to put it in layman’s terms the person use the force to fly around mass shadow, and it’s not possible to talk in hyperspace (Black Fleet Crisis)
If any one doest understand what I’m talking about just say it and ill type a long post about it just say the word
Well, actually the Hound Tooth can change directions in Hyperspace :)
 Young David
08-31-2001, 1:02 PM
Hyperspace ...

Just hit 'N' on your keyboard and target the Nav Buoys. Go that way and when you're within 5.5 clicks hit spacebar and you're on your way in hyperspace ...

Yes, I have a new computer and am currently very addicted to X-Wing Alliance ... Die TIE-Fighters ... DIE DIE DIE !!!!!
 Gamma732
08-31-2001, 1:23 PM
I don't think you can turn in hyperspace. Remember Han bragging about making the Kessel Run in less then 5 parsecs? He did that by flying straight down a line that was closer to the Maw cluster then is thought to be safe....if they were able to turn, wouldn't you think they'd just 'steer' around the black holes?
 Kavam1
08-31-2001, 2:18 PM
Kvan guess I shouldn’t have strong manned that argument now should of :) ? Well there could be other exceptions that break the “only Jedi can navigate in hyperspace with out being nav computer assisted” rule

Gamma I’m probably wrong but I’m pretty sure there are no Jedi smugglers that worked the Kessel run and if I remember correctly Jedi don’t usually use the to navagate hyperspace to taxing on there bodies or some thing haven’t read that book in a couple years
 Tie Guy
08-31-2001, 2:23 PM
Here's another argument for why they can turn in hyperspace. If yuou could, why would you need a nav computer. the point of having a nav computer is to go directly from one point to the next without stopping to reconfigure the new coordinates.
 Young David
08-31-2001, 3:20 PM
I think it was in the Rogue Squadron novel ... but you can turn you craft without changing your vector. So you can even fly backwards in hyperspace (Don't ask me how .. cause I wonder how hyperspace is propulsed then .. or are craft catapulted?)
 Tie Guy
08-31-2001, 4:00 PM
hmm, maybe it has something to do with the different gravity fields in hyperspace. Maybe they are pulled through hyperspace by gravity. Only a guess.
 Kavam1
08-31-2001, 8:25 PM
Tie Guy if you go at light speed at .00001 degrees off will be probably a light year off of target or so that could put you in a grav well of a sun, planet, etc so to change angles in hyperspace would probably be suicidal if you weren’t sure of what the margin of error was plus hyperspace isn’t a exact science IIRC (if I remember correctly) when a war fleet goes into hyperspace it looses up its formations so that when it comes out they won’t crash into each other when they come out

And from the X-wing books you get catapulted into hyperspace from your engines, but I don’t really understand it ‘cuse then how does a hyperspace engine matter you just need large real space engines to go really really fast
 Tie Guy
08-31-2001, 8:56 PM
That's what i was saying, that it would make a big difference since the distance is so great.

Oh, and what a hyperdrive generator does is twist realspace using gravity. If you look at the hyperdrive in Eps I then you will see that its not a propulsion device, it simply changes gravity, allbeit on a small scale. The drive is used to open up a different "realm" that has a much different gravity field, and somehow allows the ship to go faster than normal using some form of propulsion.

That is also why larger ships generally have a slower hyperdrive rating, cause they need to change the gravity in a much larger area than a ship the size of an X-wing, and they have to keep it up throughout the flight or they will be reverted back to realspace. therefore, larger ships taker larger generators that take up more power, and are often times slower.
 Gamma732
08-31-2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Kavam1
Kvan guess I shouldn’t have strong manned that argument now should of :) ? Well there could be other exceptions that break the “only Jedi can navigate in hyperspace with out being nav computer assisted” rule

Gamma I’m probably wrong but I’m pretty sure there are no Jedi smugglers that worked the Kessel run and if I remember correctly Jedi don’t usually use the to navagate hyperspace to taxing on there bodies or some thing haven’t read that book in a couple years

Jedi smugglers?? :confused: I said Han did that....and he did, he even says that in the movies.
 Kavam1
09-01-2001, 9:06 AM
I understand what you are saying but hyperspace isn’t real space or anything like real space it’s another dimension where FTL (faster then light) travel is possible and larger ships need stronger hyperdrives because they have more mass so it’s harder to build up the inertia needed to move
 Tie Guy
09-01-2001, 9:49 AM
Yes, you are correct that Hyperspace is another dimension. Just read the "Black Fleet Crisis" and it says that something dropped in hyperspace can neer be found again. But you are wrong that they generator are when build up the inertia and makes larger ships slower. The hyperdrive generator is not a propulsion device, you saw it in TPM, its inside the hull with no outlets. If you read the "Black Fleet Crisis" you will read that the hyperdrive generator twists realspace until hyperspace opens up. hyperspace doesn't open up magically when you go fast enough or something like that.
 Admiral Odin
09-01-2001, 1:07 PM
I think about it this way. Speed of Light may only be a constant, and things can travel faster, except we can't detect them. So far man has yet to reach the speed of light so we don't really know...
 darthfergie
09-01-2001, 1:11 PM
stardestroyer.net
GO THERE FOR ALL YOUR SW HYPERDRIVE

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/index.html)

go to technology and click on the hyperdrives for SW and look.
 darthfergie
09-01-2001, 1:14 PM
Hyperdrives

Our Star Destroyers can easily traverse our galaxy in a matter of a few weeks, with travel speeds of over 1 million times the speed of light. However, hyperdrive does have some limitations; a ship travelling in hyperspace cannot fly through a star, and it can be affected if it passes by high-energy events such as supernovae ("without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"- Han Solo, ANH). Entry into hyperspace and travel through hyperspace are accompanied by interesting visual patterns, as seen below:
 darthfergie
09-01-2001, 1:15 PM
Some Federation cultists have taken to claiming that Star Wars Imperial ships need months to traverse the galaxy, but it must be noted that Darth Vader summoned bounty hunters from the core worlds (including IG-88 who always worked in the core sectors) to the isolated Outer Rim Hoth system and those bounty hunters arrived, all while the Imperial fleet was still in the asteroid field. To travel from the core sectors to one of the outer rim sectors would be a journey of at least 30,000 light years, and the bounty hunters must have made the trip in two or three days maximum. This works out to a speed of 3.65 million times c. Further evidence for this scale of hyperdrive propulsion speed comes from page 145 of the ROTJ hardcover novelization:

"The vast rebel fleet hung poised in space, ready to strike. It was hundreds of light-years from the Death Star --- but in hyperspace, all time was a moment, and the deadliness of an attack was measured not in distance but in precision."
This scene takes place after Skywalker is captured by Vader (in the wee hours of the morning, just before dawn), and the Rebel fleet arrives shortly after Skywalker enters the Emperor's overbridge. This means that the Rebel fleet covers at least 200 light years (hence the term "hundreds") in the approximate time interval required to transport Skywalker from the surface of Endor to the Death Star in orbit. We know from ANH that a typical starship can easily achieve orbit in much less than half an hour, because the Death Star was 30 minutes out of position during General Dodonna's briefing and the X-wing crews had manned and prepped their ships, achieved orbit, and then circumnavigated several hundred thousand kilometres around Yavin to attack the Death Star before it was in position. Therefore, even if we include the time required to load Skywalker aboard the shuttle, land aboard the Death Star, and travel to the Emperor's overbridge, Vader could not have taken longer than 30 minutes to make the trip. This means that the Rebel fleet must have been travelling at speeds of at least 200 light years per half-hour. This works out to 3.5 million c. Here is a quote from Dark Force Rising, pg. 212 hardcover:

"From the labored sound of the engines, [Mara Jade] could guess they were pushing uncomfortably far past a Victory Star Destroyer's normal flank speed of Point Four Five. Possibly even as high as Point Five, which would mean they were covering a hundred twenty-seven light-years per hour."
 darthfergie
09-01-2001, 1:17 PM
127 light years per hour works out to roughly 1.2 million c, which is somewhat lower than the estimate based on the events of ROTJ, but it is always possible that Vader dallied around on the surface for a while before taking Luke to meet the Emperor. Some sources seem to indicate much lower hyperdrive speeds, including one quote from Heir to the Empire, pg. 35 hardcover:
"It took the Chimaera nearly five days at its Point Four cruising speed to cover the three hundred fifty light-years between Myrkr and Wayland."
This indicates that .4 hyperdrive is equivalent to a mere 26,000c in this region of space (only 8 times faster than a Federation ship), as opposed to the 1.2 million c speed of .5 hyperdrive factor, which is more than 400 times faster than a Federation ship. It is possible that this indicates an extremely steep exponential increase in speed with hyperdrive factor, but it is more likely that it is merely a region of space in which navigational conditions such as obstacles, space-time distortions, etc. slow down local travel (keep in mind that Federation warp drive is also affected by certain regions of space, as we found in "The Omega Directive" when it was revealed that there was an entire sector of Federation space in which warp travel was impossible). The speed chart from BTM (see below) clearly indicates that the speed of hyperdrive travel varies dramatically depending on where you are going. One final quote comes from the most original source of all:
From Star Wars IV: A New Hope, pg. 118 softcover: "Navigation computer calculates our arrival in Alderaan orbit at oh two hundred."
 darthfergie
09-01-2001, 1:22 PM
 Tie Guy
09-01-2001, 6:43 PM
That may say how fast it goes, but it doesn't answer the ever so important question of HOW it does it. Oh well, thanks anyways Ferg, that was really interesting.
Page: 1 of 2