Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

unit ai/comm., tech upgrade that should have been in the game

Page: 1 of 1
 Calenstein
05-20-2002, 10:06 PM
I wish there would be a command option for units that Enables/Disables personal radio communication with near-by units. Something part of the AI for attacking.

What I mean is, say if I send a group to attack (offensive mode enabled) a city and they've scattered themselves. I want it so that if some units are getting a lot of resistance that nearby units will come to aid them, as-if they have constant radio chatter locally... and they're moving about with intelligence.

This could be an upgrade in Military Research... something like "Unit-to-Unit Radio Contact" or "Smart Platoon Tactics".

I realize part of the point of the game is for you to control everything and give actions, but I think that smarter tactics for individual units on a local scale should be handled by AI, like they are already.

Here's another example: say on one side of the screen you have troopers trying to do their offensive business, but some annoying ships are flying above them taking them out. On the other side of the screen are some anti-air troops just standing around jerking off and waiting for your orders. The AI for units should be good enough so that those troopers could radio to those anti-air troops close by, to come and help out with the ships.

That sounds like something the human player should do, and that's good. But on a local scale (like 1 screen width), there should be smarter attacking AI to take care of those situations.

Hmmm, that might make such amazing offensive forces that may change the whole game balance though... doh.
 Kryllith
05-23-2002, 5:36 PM
Not sure what all you can do in the first situation, except perhaps keep them grouped closer together. What you might want to do is set them to follow or guard each other. This can work rather well in the second scenario. Stick your AA's to follow/guard your troopers, so they'll stay close to them and protect them from fighters.

Kryllith
Page: 1 of 1