Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How come SWGB feels laggier slower jerkier than AOK:TC? Does x-pack fix this?

Page: 1 of 1
 arthur
05-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Does anyone know how to fix the slow downs?

I'm just playing the computer, random map, 1v1, only 100 pop. But AOK is smoother and not as laggy as this on the same settings. How come.

Does the x-pack fix this?

Thanks for input.
 Koenig
05-20-2002, 12:16 PM
might be your comp, or it may be that the comp is building tonnes of stuff that although you can't see will still use up resources.
 Heavyarms
05-20-2002, 12:16 PM
it plays a bit smoother. The only problem I found is if you make something in large numbers, like clone troopers, and they all come out at once. That makes it slow for a sec.
 MAD_Attila
05-20-2002, 6:32 PM
It's because the artwork is way too detailed.

I am running a 1ghz P3, 128 MB Ram and a Geforce 2 64 MB and I still get minor scroll lag in team games.
 Tummy
05-20-2002, 10:57 PM
Turn down graphic settings for mplay games that will help alot.
 Calenstein
05-21-2002, 12:45 AM
"It's because the artwork is way too detailed."

What do you mean? That the graphics are 32bit colour instead of 16bit like in FPS games? (what is the AOE engine anyways, 16bit or 32bit?).

Or perhaps more frames of animation? I doubt that, since the animations look just as choppy as any other 2d RTS from the past 4 years to me. Unless the amount of frames is scalable and my 233mhz isn't displaying all of them.

I do notice a slight drop in performance when comparing GB/CC to AOE2. I attributed it to some sloppy programming, that's all. Programmers aren't perfect.

Maybe there's better AI, and that's using more CPU power?
 Calenstein
05-21-2002, 12:47 AM
I forgot to add:

The graphics in GB/CC don't look any more beautiful than AOE2, to me. IE same colours, no true transparencies, etc.
 Darth Windu
05-21-2002, 11:26 AM
In my normal games i play with-
8 players
200 pop limit
forcebuild cheat
highest graphics

and even my t-bird 1333MHz, 512Mb RAM, 32Mb GeForce2 MX400 gets some lag.
 arthur
05-21-2002, 11:46 AM
I would think that with an older engine, it should run just fine on my P2 400 - AOK does.

I do get the impression that it has something to do with the graphics. Maybe too many animations, or too many things moving and going on; for example Vader's crazy hoppity hip hop hip animation when he's fighting, or even all those missiles, projectiles, lasers criss crossing the screen.

I've played AOK:TC so much, and love that game. So I'm used to it's simple style. SWGB is interesting - it has a lot of fancy artistic objects on the screen I still have to figure out what is what.
 Calenstein
05-22-2002, 4:18 AM
Yea, well there are a lot of projectiles wizzing about.

And those slow moving ball projectiles with comet-like tails are probably heavy on the sprites.

That's probably what accounts for the partial slow-down.

BTW, my system is a P1 233mhz, you wanna talk about slowdown, you talk to me. Actually the game only gets bad when you have you have a whole gigantic-sized map revealed and there's massive cities and 100's and 100's of workers and units.
 polaris_crd
05-23-2002, 5:38 PM
I found that some extra SDRAM will improve your game play a ton. I have a 703mhz that was getting slow downs and now I don't get them as much on a 128 ram upgrade. Now I have about 196 and it runs just fine. Actually it runs better then aok on my system for some odd reason.
 polaris_crd
05-23-2002, 5:41 PM
If you turn off some of the programs running in the background you will get even better performance. Turn off every thing except explorer and systray. Disable your anti-virus program also. My system would crash because my virus program was causing conflicts with the game.
Page: 1 of 1