Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Yet another Professions rant...plus info!

Page: 1 of 1
 JekRendar
05-19-2002, 1:02 PM
I got the following information at http://www.swg-de.com) and here it is...

Professions in Star Wars Galaxies are handled differently than any other MMORPG before it. There will be a total of 27 separate, titled professions ready for launch, with new ones being created and discovered by devs and players alike.

A profession is basically a collection of skills that you've learned. If you learn the correct skills to cut hair, then you will have earned the Hairdresser profession (yes, that's a real profession in the game). Certain simple professions can be started during the character creation screen. This is basically more or less a starting template for your character, with the six or seven skills that fit with the profile of someone in that profession.

Starting out in a profession doesn't mean that your character is stuck in that role for the rest of his existence. You can choose to 'lose' skills so that you can learn something new, starting a new career. Anytime you have the required skills for a main profession, your character gets a title, like Bounty Hunter for example. You can pick up multiple titles in other professions by learning the prerequisite skills. You will also have the option of revealing some or all of your titles to other players in-game, which is handy for when you want to sell your skills.

Related skills in SWG are grouped together into "disciplines". Disciplines range from Linguistics (all language-based skills) to Evasion Tactics (skills that help you avoid damage in combat). Even further, disciplines are grouped together into three "discipline categories". There are: Social Disciplines (Linguistics, Dancing, etc.), Commercial Disciplines (all the crafting disciplines, farming, etc.) and Adventure Disciplines (basically anything dealing with combat and exploration). A profession might draw upon skills from several disciplines.

Likewise, a "profession category" is, like the discipline category. In fact, the categories have the same names: Adventure, Commercial, and Social. All professions have at least one combat-related skill, regardless of their category (I wonder what combat skill a hairdresser requires?).

An "elite profession" is a profession that becomes available through exploration of the other professions and disciplines. At launch, there will only be a handful of elite professions, like bounty hunter.

In all, there will be:

27 professions
41 disciplines
Over 450 skill boxes (not including titles)
The devs promise that the profession/discipline/skill system is so flexible that it can only continue to grow.

The following is a list of professions that have been announced by the devs:

Bounty Hunter
Slicer
Hairdresser
Politician (certain leadership skill will also help when you group with other players!)
Smuggler
Medic or healer
Jedi (not exactly your average profession, but it is a collection of skills)
Miner
Mechanic
Linguist
Dancer/Entertainer (who can also heal)
Pilot
Animal Trainer
Military Officer
Chef
Manufacturer of goods
Sniper
Botanist
Explorer
Marksman
Chemist
Barkeeper
Droid Engineer
Musician
Tattoo Artist

Author: bspence

Please, take this information to heart, it's the closest this we have to word from the Devs!
 Ascari
05-19-2002, 7:01 PM
hairdresser combat skill:

Mad scissor cut!! :P

Btw, are u limited to 1 profession?

Cause i want to be a pilot but do other stuff as well...
 Gaalgoth
05-19-2002, 7:04 PM
I think it depends on how many skill points your chosen professions recquire. Also it depends on how skilled you are in those professions, cause I know you can be a jack-of-all-trades. Besides, you can be good at flying ships and not necesarily be a pilot by profession....It all just goes with your choices in skill points.
 setsuko
05-19-2002, 7:45 PM
As I understand it, professions will work more like in real life. For instance, most plumbers knows plumbing, of course. But they propably also know a lot of other things. Still, we think of them as plumbers. A profession seems to be more of a name to sum up what you are best at, rather than "the only thing you can ever be".

...and yes, I think it is superb. Thumbs up!
 MikeC
05-19-2002, 7:50 PM
Again, this is pretty much all REALLY old.

I can see the chemist's attack now. Throwing acid filled beakers.
 Darth Maxx
05-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Droid Engineer
Tattoo Artist

So I can decorate my Droids? Wicked :D
 Ulic Quel Droma
05-20-2002, 12:30 PM
i wanna be a jedi but also be a part of Ascaris b -wing squadron :D

:bwing: :bwing: :bwing: :awing: :slave: :tied: :r2d23:
 Talain
05-20-2002, 4:35 PM
I wonder what skills you need for Jedi, eh?
 MikeC
05-20-2002, 5:33 PM
Originally posted by Talain
I wonder what skills you need for Jedi, eh?
The Force silly. :p
 Ascari
05-20-2002, 9:14 PM
Originally posted by Ulic Quel Droma
i wanna be a jedi but also be a part of Ascaris b -wing squadron :D

:bwing: b-wings roel!

But since it's a bomber we need fighter vs fighter planes as well u know :)

Unless i can get myselve a b-wing E which has a rear turret. Then no ship will stand a chance against me and my co-pilot :)
 JekRendar
05-20-2002, 11:15 PM
*BUMP* It doesn't bother me if you guys post which jobs you want! ;)
 Koffin
05-21-2002, 4:05 AM
K...can I have yours? Doesnt seem to require to much...
 Wraith 8
05-21-2002, 6:21 AM
well.. im gonna be a trader..., its not there right now... but i think it is under smuggler :D
 JekRendar
05-21-2002, 8:07 PM
I love it when people flame others that say, "I want to be a Jedi." But yet the dozens more that want to be smuggler get away scot free!
 Gaalgoth
05-21-2002, 8:12 PM
Jek, the jedi-wannabees get flamed mostly because they have no idea what is going to be involved in becoming a jedi and they seem to think that all one must do is click "Jedi" from the professions list at character creation. Becoming a smuggler is much more plausible, and while they can be flamed for doing the mainstream thing they're not going to be flamed for the same reasons. I'm surprised not many have ragged on bounty hunters....there's alot more involved in becoming one of them then most think. Bounty hunter is an elite rank and you have to dabble around a lot before you can become one. It's not a pre-made class that you can choose.
 Arallu Bokatur
05-22-2002, 12:31 AM
I find that being an explorer you would have pilot/engineer/smuggler/crafter and possibly many other skill types that will fall under your profession.
I am really curious how this is going to work. As for now I shall be an explorer with other abilities.
Such a big universe, so little time.
Arallu Bokatur,
Explorer Extraordinaire
 Talain
05-22-2002, 1:52 AM
I figure I'll take Linguist/Diplomat to start with and slowly work my way towards Jedi. Logical progression, ya see.
 gavor
05-22-2002, 2:34 AM
You can't 'work your way to toward jedi'. Please admin, can we have a sticky topic explaining what we know about the jedi so people will stop posting such stuff.

I know everyone has the right to hope they become a jedi, but if we don't inform people whats its all about, we'll have a forum full of 'i'M goNna bee the R0ckZ0r jeDi from H3ll. w00t' posts.

Moving right along to Gaal's point about BH's. I'd love to have a go at all the BH wannbe's who'll give up after 1/2 hour when they don't see the 'Be Boba Fett' button. But thats not fair, you CAN become a BH if you try hard enough.

However, you can't just start studying The Force and become a jedi. You'll have to hope you're lucky enough to become force sensitive. Even if you are I don't think most people will have the patience to train or the fortitude to be one once they realise its not all beer and pretzels. IT'S NOT GOING TO BE A GLAMOUR PROFESSION FOR KIDDIES TO BOAST ABOUT! Can we put that at the top of the forums somewhere?

Lastly, for Arallu. Thats the second time i've seen you talk about exploring. Drop me a message, sounds like you're headed down the same path I am.
 Pallas Athena
05-22-2002, 2:54 AM
Hey they left off Sanitation Engineer!

Whos gonna clean up after all the blasters go off?
 Ascari
05-22-2002, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by Pallas Athena
Hey they left off Sanitation Engineer!

Whos gonna clean up after all the blasters go off?

NPC's ufcourse!

Lol ;)
 JekRendar
05-22-2002, 3:27 PM
Now you have to ask yourself which will be easier to obtain...Jedi or Bounty Hunter (and/or Smuggler)? Think about it, Jedi, you have to study hard and have patience, BH's and Smug's you have to 1) have a fairly good ship and 2) You have to have some great social skills.

Too many people are going to jump in, and get all the weapon and tough-guy (maucho) skills and they won't be able to convince anyone to give them jobs and will end up as a bum in the cantina!
 MikeC
05-22-2002, 3:43 PM
Well, that sticky on Jedi would be the FAQ.
 gavor
05-22-2002, 10:49 PM
While that may be true Mike, it's clear no-one reads it before coming to the forums.
 Vicious
05-22-2002, 11:51 PM
the films show plenty of jedi piloting, but imagine what a jedi sniper could do.:charric:
 Gaalgoth
05-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Yeah, just imagine...they could focus really really good! I think the force could be used to better potential, no offense.
 MikeC
05-23-2002, 3:07 AM
Better yet, they could use the force to guide their bullet/projectile around corners and hit somebody that isn't even in sight!
 Wraith 8
05-23-2002, 6:00 AM
why use bullets?? just force chike or.. like a sister of the night did in 'courtship of princes leia' just pop a feign[sp?] in the head
 Ohn Ruukon
05-25-2002, 12:35 AM
:fett: :deathstar Hey Im a BOUNTY HUNTER ALL THE WAY !!!!
Page: 1 of 1