Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Topic #1,425,795

Page: 1 of 1
 JekRendar
05-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Topic #1,425,795: Latency and Hacking.

Latency: due to increase of number of persons on a server (ahem 1,000) Would this not create lag for the dial-up users? Would not the player-made modifications create even more?

Hacking: due to most personal modifications NOT being seen in the item which is being modified would this not create an open window for hacking? People would think, "Hey, I'll tell them it's modification, but it's really, a hack!"

Please, share your thoughts and opinion.
 Gaalgoth
05-19-2002, 1:18 AM
Well you know, in this day and age dial-up is becoming obsolete. Normal phone lines weren't meant for the internet, and when that much data is pushed around problems arise. But the developers aren't going to sacrafice the power that they can put into the game because it will lag up dial-uppers. It shouldn't be that bad though...just keep an eye on the resolution and graphics settings. deial-up users will probably end up fine. As for hacking, They're going to have plenty of security measures to prevent it.
 Saiyan22
05-19-2002, 1:20 AM
i bet you wouldn't have lag due to the whole population of the server at once...probably only the people on the same planet as you...my guess is that when you are in hyperspace you are downloading the new world ... those people won't really effect you on your world...sort of like entering a new game on diablo2 ...where as a server in SWG is equivelant to say, USWEST realm on diablo, and each planet would be like joining a seperate game in diablo...this would still be a great deal of people on each planet, but at least not the entire server at once...
Page: 1 of 1