Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jedi Powers

Page: 2 of 2
 Keiran Halcyon
05-24-2002, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by Vestril

They don't fall asleep, they just get pushed back into the wall and the camera cuts away. They presumably just decide to leave him be. Also, Keiran--from your name I would think that you would no better than to try and resolve the Force into all of those separate things ;).

Tha is why i put the '.....' things :D, to use common names for that actions. But i got lazy and left many commas :p
 Vestril
05-24-2002, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by Keiran_Halcyon

Tha is why i put the '.....' things :D, to use common names for that actions. But i got lazy and left many commas :p

Hee hee hee, oh well :D
 xfractal
05-24-2002, 5:28 PM
what about obi-wan deflecting doku's lightning with his saber?

was that a separate force-power or just enhanced light-saber handling?
 Rajess MoDuron
05-24-2002, 5:38 PM
Well, if a lightsaber can block another saber, or lasers, why couldn't it normally without enhancement block lightning?
 xfractal
05-24-2002, 5:48 PM
you are right, but obi-wan's saber seemed to attract the lighting,
as doku emited it in a wide arc, but only hit the lightsaber, IIRC.
 DarthHitts
05-24-2002, 6:04 PM
Hello All:
This is the first time posting on this site and i wanted to say hi. A few things from the top of my mind.......

1. Yoda redirects Lord Dooku/Darth Tyrannus's lightning as it is a quote"dark side teqnique" but that isn't entirely true, as I see it the force is the same in either dark or light it is just the way a jedi chooses to use it....sooo theoretically yoda can shoot lightning but as a light jedi he chooses not to.

2. Obi wasn't able to pull his lightsaber to him because it takes a certain amount of concentration to harness and use the force, but as he was probably a little preoccupied in the fight with Jengo he couldn't concentrate hard enough before Jengo saw his opprotunnity to take the upper hand.

3. To all you naysayers out there this movie..albiet some of it was a little slow...this movie renewed my faith in Lucas and the star wars franchise, I thought Lucas was turning it into a glorified kiddie flick after Ep.1, but the end war battle was enough to (hopefully) buck that trend.

Well thanks for listening to my psychobabble on this.....I'll be posting later:D :atat: :confused:
 Frumpus
05-24-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Darth Matrix

Sith can just use the Force easier, cause they use the Dark Side.

Wha--?? Huh? What makes you say that?!

I seem to remember something in the orgiginal movies about the Dark Side being "quicker-to-advance" in force use; is that what you meant?
 MotionMan
05-25-2002, 1:14 AM
Originally posted by Keiran_Halcyon
Lets see a complete thing:

Anakin Skywalker:
Enhaced reflexes (with lightsaber)
'Force Jump'
Force telekinesis (pull and push)
Force relaxation/meditation (in padme's retreat, in the balcony after nightmare)
'Force phantom'
Future visions

well may i have left something, so post it! :)

You forgot Mind trick for anikin:D
He does it on zam wessel.

-Plus im glad one of you didnt miss Qui Gons mind trick on boss nass, when they are talking to him about giving them a water speeder and stuff.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-25-2002, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Rajess MoDuron
Oh I know that, but it doesn't slump unconsiously. It moves over to where it was and falls back asleep.

I saw ROJ yesterday, When Luke grips the Pigs, we can heard the same sound (bass sound) Darth Vader does when using grip.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-25-2002, 5:48 PM
Updates on the List:

Palpatine:

Force Telekinesis (opens Luke's hand-restrain)
Future Visions
 Ewok Hunter
05-26-2002, 2:20 AM
in one of the books, think it is crystal star, Jaina uses the force to melt the bars in her cell and to freeze the swamp so that they can cross when they excape.
so 2 more force 'abilitys', "force heat" and "force freeze" or just one, "force chage temp."
 Vestril
05-26-2002, 6:24 AM
Originally posted by ewok hunter
in one of the books, think it is crystal star, Jaina uses the force to melt the bars in her cell and to freeze the swamp so that they can cross when they excape.
so 2 more force 'abilitys', "force heat" and "force freeze" or just one, "force chage temp."

*strangled voice* They're...not...abilities...she's...just...using.. .fine...control...of...telekinesis...yearghhhhhhhh h
 cig
05-26-2002, 10:23 AM
Nobody remembers this one-

Luke-
Dark Rage( Return of the Jedi)

When he finishes off Vader. And the Emperor compliments him on his power that was released with his anger and hatred. Definitely Dark Rage.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-26-2002, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by ewok hunter

we are talking about the movies, not anything else.
 Bluezman
05-27-2002, 5:50 PM
I don't think this is making sense. All Jedi improve their lightsaber skill by using the force. Espacially when they deflect laserbolds. (See Luke practicing with the drone in ANH)
Without useing the force they would be not more than a good skilled fencer.
But nowone can reflect bolds, without using the force. I think he needed it to strike down a whole tusken-clan.

This was obviously a second, important step towards the dark side.
Not only would they only be a good fencer. Without the force they weren't even able to wield the weapon at all. You need basic skills in the force to even fight with it. It is stated on several occasions that a regular guy with a lightsaber would be quite likely to get himself hurt rather than inflict damage on an enemy.

My two cents on that Force Powers issue:
I think this whole classifying thing "dark side powers", "light side powers" comes from video games. As stated before, the force is simply used to manipulate the enviroment. Remember the training Luke received from Yoda? He was standing on his hands, letting several objects float about. Now what kind of force power was that? Force Float? BULL. He simply used the force to feel the stones etc. and then lift them up. It's not like pressing a button like in JO.

Being light side or dark side is much more about how you use the force, what are your intentions, what is your attitude? The force shall be used only for healing, wisdom, seeing the future, defence.

Lightning and gripping is pretty much offensive by nature. A true light side Jedi wouldn't make use of the force in such an aggressive way, unless maybe to defend himself. For instance I wondered about the scene where Yoda casts Dookus lightning back at him. Probably he couldn't absorb it or something, it seemed to me that absorbing the force cost Yoda more of an effort that to reflect it back. However using lightning against Dooku (even if it was Dookus lightning that was cast back)obviously doesn't make him Dark Side.

I believe that being mindless about the force like Anakin does (playing with the little metal ball in Padmes room on Coruscant or playing with that fruit on Naboo) also leads to the dark side, although he only uses it for playing or to woe a woman. It is mindless and arrogant. The force shouldn't be used like that, just like you don't play football in a church.
 dorain8
05-28-2002, 1:10 AM
I THINK HE REFLECTED IT CUZ...
he needed to show dooku he couldnt win a force battle with yoda

there was some " cant rememeber the exact words
that somewhat proves this
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 2:16 AM
"For example, in the novels, the Jedi can sense almost every single lifeform around them (easily, too!). In the film, Obi and Ani only sensed those poisionous bugs last minute. If they were like the Jedi from the books, they would be able to sense those bugs the second they entered the room (if not sooner!). "

In AotC, the Jedi point out amongst themselves that it's grown more difficult to see things through the Force. So these are *NOT* Jedi at full power in that aspect, at least.
 Cow_JK:O
05-28-2002, 3:24 AM
Originally posted by Bluezman
[B]
Not only would they only be a good fencer. Without the force they weren't even able to wield the weapon at all. You need basic skills in the force to even fight with it. It is stated on several occasions that a regular guy with a lightsaber would be quite likely to get himself hurt rather than inflict damage on an enemy.

I dont thinks thats necessarily true. The force is certainly what allows them to block blasters and do saber fights, but otherwise its basically just like a VERY sharp sword. Han has little trouble picking one up and cutting through that animal (forget its name) so..
 Redwing
05-28-2002, 3:40 AM
I believe Boba Fett said it best...

Jedi lightsaber doesn't make you a Jedi.

And it's a tauntaun. ;)
 Bluezman
05-28-2002, 5:52 AM
Quote from StarWars.com(...)To carry a lightsaber is an example of incredible skill and confidence, dexterity and attunement to the Force. (...) Although use of the lightsaber is strictly reserved to the Jedi -- the only ones capable of handling the difficult weapon -- it is also used by their sworn enemies, the Sith.

Hmmm... I can't find any better quote.
I do think that to really fight with the saber you need knowledge of the force. Han just activated the saber, made one cut and put it down again. I'm not saying the saber goes all crazy in your hand if you are not strong with the force but you can't really fight with it either.
 dorain8
05-28-2002, 3:29 PM
(dont scream if i use force powers by name like jk2 its just easier people)

when han was handling the saber
1. he never used a weapon like that
2. he was struggling cuz he didnt know how to turn it on at 1st
3. he knew the power and didnt want to chop something off

about jedi powers to weild a saber
not needed

however if someone with no force abilities
uses a saber he is more likely to chop an arm off or hit himslef with it

jedi's perception and reflexes allow them to control their muscles well enbough so they can stop the blade before they hit themselves

ex. obi vs maul when he blocks the saber from behind.
 Cow_JK:O
05-28-2002, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by Bluezman

Hmmm... I can't find any better quote.
I do think that to really fight with the saber you need knowledge of the force. Han just activated the saber, made one cut and put it down again. I'm not saying the saber goes all crazy in your hand if you are not strong with the force but you can't really fight with it either.

I would stand by my argument that if two fencers (no skill in the force) went at each other, something could happen. Granted, you'll never block bolts and you'll never be able to duel a Jedi, but really its just a sword with a weightless blade (much like many fencing weapons, though there is SOME weight to the blade) that would be easy to cut yourself on (like any other sword).

I dont really see any limitations to the lightsaber design to make it significantly different to any other fencing weapon (other than the weight, which is relatively minor)
 Darth Matrix
05-29-2002, 11:41 PM
*kills everybody for using Jedi Outcast names*

I feel better.

I seem to remember something in the orgiginal movies about the Dark Side being "quicker-to-advance" in force use; is that what you meant?Exactly What I was talking about.
 coldsun22
05-31-2002, 3:30 PM
I appears that force lightning can only be a Dark side thing. But not force grip, as Luke used it too.

Luke could use force grip because he was not fully dedicated to one side of the force yet. After he defeated Darth Vader, though, he completed his path to the light side and could only use the lightside's force powers.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-31-2002, 4:16 PM
About Luke's 'force choke', IT IS REAL.
I have the novelization of ROJ in my hands by now and it says:

(i got it in Spanish so do not expect perfect translation :D)

Luke rised his hand to the guards. Before any of then could raise their blasters, they fell on their knees, choking and gripping their throats with the hands.
Luke lowered his hand and continued his way. The guards, available to breath again, falled to the ground without trying to stop Luke.
Page: 2 of 2