Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question

Page: 1 of 1
 Ascari
05-18-2002, 4:44 PM
He, I'm thinking of purchasing a b-wing

But I was wondering how in the world do u land such a ship?

I haven't seen any pics with a landing gear or anything.

may not be the most important question ever but he :)
 MikeC
05-18-2002, 5:29 PM
I doubt you will be able to buy one. I don't think they were invented until after the time in which SWG is set.
:bwing:
You can see them land in X-Wing Alliance and a few other places. The wings fold in and the cockpit rotates. It then lands on its side.
 Ascari
05-18-2002, 6:12 PM
Originally posted by MikeC
I doubt you will be able to buy one. I don't think they were invented until after the time in which SWG is set.

Hmm, i'll check into that.

I really want my b-wing u know

:bwing: owns :)

edit:

I clearly saw a b-wing in the 23 minute footage! theyre in allright!
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-18-2002, 6:49 PM
I think B-Wing is only after Space Expansion.
 Ascari
05-18-2002, 7:00 PM
Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3
I think B-Wing is only after Space Expansion.

But arent all the other ships after the space expansion?
 Gaalgoth
05-18-2002, 7:05 PM
yep. All but the swoop and speeder.
 Ascari
05-18-2002, 7:26 PM
Originally posted by Gaalgoth
yep. All but the swoop and speeder.

But u cant fly in space with a swoop or a speeder,

well u can try but i already guarantee that it wont be a succes :)
 Jan Gaarni
05-18-2002, 7:50 PM
Hey, Ascari. You're not ScaryDewd over at the Galaxies board on the Station, are you? :D
 Ascari
05-18-2002, 8:35 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
Hey, Ascari. You're not ScaryDewd over at the Galaxies board on the Station, are you? :D

yeah I am! how'd u figure that out ?

For some strange reason I picked Scarydewd as a handle!

Ascari was already taken, so i set up an account as Ascary, and as handle Scarydewd..

ow well, guess it isnt that big of a deal :)

but does anyone know what the big advantage is of the:
The B-wing's command pod has a unique gyroscopic control system. The pilot can orient it so that it always stays level with a pre-designated horizon line. No matter which way the B-wing may maneuver laterally, its pilot remains upright.

that the b-wing has?

Jan Gaarni
05-18-2002, 9:07 PM
Just a hunch. :D
You posted the exact same post over at the Station. ;)

This is all my own personal view on the matter:
Well, the B-Wings main advantage, as you said, is less G-forces.

Let's say you're gonna make a tight turn to the left. What you need to do is flip the ship 90 degrees to your left, then pull the stick towards you. That's the fastest way to make a turn.

But in doing so, you push lots of blood down into you're feet, thus you can only withstand a certain amount of G-forces before you pass out.

By leaving the cockpit in the same horizontal position and only turn the rest of the ship 90 degrees, when you pull the stick towards you your body experiences a sideway's force instead of a downwards force, thus you would be able to make a tighter turn.
Not much, but enough to make a difference.

Another advantage is that you can rotate and spin without being distracted by the G-forces that you normally would experience, and you won't be confused what way is 'up or down' and 'left or right'.

Of course, you need more training in flying such a craft, cause there are bound to be some disadvantages aswell. For instance knowing exactly how the rest of the ship is lined up compared to the cockpit.
But once you handle this disadvantage, you'll be a dangerouse pilot. :p

As for the B-Wing being in the game or not, hope not.
It will just confuse the fans, and people that arn't as involved or informed might start to think that it was a fully working model at the time. :rolleyes:
 setsuko
05-18-2002, 9:24 PM
Then setsuko comes with the question:

Why bother with G-forces, when you are in space? Oh, and I hope to see some B-wings. They are a good heavyduty bomber. However, they might have been prevalent at the time setting.
 Jan Gaarni
05-18-2002, 9:51 PM
G-forces still apply in space. :p
 setsuko
05-18-2002, 9:53 PM
And, I ask you, by what source of gravity?
"- Oh no, wing leader, I am experiencing ten times normal gravity!"
"- You mean, ten times nothing?"
"- Yes! And I believe it will be the end of me!"

;)
 Gaalgoth
05-18-2002, 10:03 PM
Personally, I don't really care what ship I fly in. I'll be all tactical on the ground, but when I get in space whooo doggy I'm just gonna blow stuff up. That's the best way to play flight sims; shoot everything.
 MikeC
05-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by setsuko
And, I ask you, by what source of gravity?
"- Oh no, wing leader, I am experiencing ten times normal gravity!"
"- You mean, ten times nothing?"
"- Yes! And I believe it will be the end of me!"

setsuko, you don't understand what a G force is. It's just the amount of force a person experiences compared to the normal force of gravity. Please note that it is compared to gravity on earth, not immediately around the person.

The G-forces in alomst any case (fighter planes for instance) aren't caused by gravity but by thrust, turns, and other forces. They could measure them in newtons or pounds, but for an easy reference they compare them to the force of gravity.

I don't think the rotating cockpit is the biggest advantabe of the :bwing: If you have ever flown one in any of the X-Wing series of games you find that they can take a serious beating and keep going. They also pack a LOT of firepower.
 Ascari
05-19-2002, 4:56 AM
Originally posted by MikeC

I don't think the rotating cockpit is the biggest advantabe of the :bwing: If you have ever flown one in any of the X-Wing series of games you find that they can take a serious beating and keep going. They also pack a LOT of firepower.

Are they any good in fighter vs. fighter?

Or do I have to make some adjustments :)
 Jan Gaarni
05-19-2002, 8:48 PM
I don't think the rotating cockpit is the biggest advantabe of the B-Wing
I'm sorry, I meant the main advantage of the Gyroscopic System. :D My bad.

The B-Wing's MAIN advantage is the ship itself.

It's weapons armament is greater than the Y-Wing, consisting of 3 auto-cannons, 3 ion cannons and 2 torpedo launchers, each holding up to 4 standard or advanced missiles/torpedos.
In addition, external launchers can be fitted on the side, raising the total of missile/torpedo load to 16.

And it can easily be configured.
You want just ion cannons? Give the technicians a few hours and it's ready for action. :D

The shielding and armor plating are equally as good, or even better than the Y-Wing, making it a though target to destroy.

The speed is not that great, however. It's somewhere between the X-Wing and the Y-Wing. 90 MGLT I think it was, while the X-Wing is 100 and the Y-Wing 80. But what it lacks in speed it makes up for with manouverability.
 Ascari
05-19-2002, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

The speed is not that great, however. It's somewhere between the X-Wing and the Y-Wing. 90 MGLT I think it was, while the X-Wing is 100 and the Y-Wing 80. But what it lacks in speed it makes up for with manouverability.

So your saying the B-wing has good manouverability?

Hmm.. I'm beginning to like this ship better every day. Now if only I could get my hands on a B-Wing E
 setsuko
05-19-2002, 8:56 PM
It is not meant as an interceptor, the Alliance has A-wings for that (and X-wings, since the X-wing is a superiority fighter). B-wings are meant to take care of larger wessels, and as chock attackers. Since they have hyperspace capacity, they can arrive, blast a capital ship with a bombardment of photon torpedoes, and then vanish before being overcome by imperial interceptors.

For longer staying power, a bunch of A and X-wings can support them, and keep Imperial Ties busy for a second bombing run, which should take care of most things less than a Star Destroyer.

However, I would not like to sit in a B-wing in a duel with a Tie Interceptor.
 Jan Gaarni
05-19-2002, 9:10 PM
Yes, the B-Wing's primary mission is to blast the crap out of capitol ships, but it still has a good chance against other fighters.

When you shot at a fighter, you tend to fire at the center of the ship, but since the ship can rotate around the cockpit, which is NOT in the center, it can evade the laser fire.

Still, if it comes down to a dog fight, use something else, just to be on the safe side. ;)
 setsuko
05-19-2002, 9:22 PM
Well, the downside is that much power goes to your shields, since you have to be able to take some stray shots from turbolasers and other weapons mounted on the capital ship that SHOULD be your target. That means that you won't scare someone with your magnificient speed, or maneuverability.
 Koffin
05-20-2002, 4:53 AM
screw the B-Wing...I want a Death Star.

I mean balence the issues.

Good Points:
B Wing: all the stuff yall said
Death Star: Its a Death Star!!

Bad Points:
B Wing: all the stuff yall said
Death Star: Its a Death Star!!

Any questions?
 Darth Maxx
05-20-2002, 11:40 AM
I'd rather have a Tie Fighter, will prolly be hard to steal one, but I'll try.
 Zendjir
05-20-2002, 11:55 AM
The B-wing is used to blast capital ships, like you all said, but in XWA it handled really well against fighters too. That's because it has the ability to obliterate an enemy fighter in one (all-cannons-linked) shot. But I rather have an A-wing when facing fighters, it's impossible to outrun enemy's in a B-wing.

Oh, and about the g-force issue; in star-wars ships use somthing called 'alluvial dampers' or something wich negates the g-forces by providing an equal amount of 'counter-force' so that the g-forces are cancelled out. Without that...what would happen with the pilots if the ship went into hyperspace? SPLAT!
 Jan Gaarni
05-21-2002, 12:05 PM
Oh, and about the g-force issue; in star-wars ships use somthing called 'alluvial dampers' or something wich negates the g-forces by providing an equal amount of 'counter-force' so that the g-forces are cancelled out. Without that...what would happen with the pilots if the ship went into hyperspace? SPLAT!
I'm not sure if the Inertial Dampers, or Inertial Compensators if you will, are active all the time in fighters.
Yes, all hyperspace capable ships must have them installed, otherwise you would die from the stress created by the immense acceleration.
Ships that you can walk in, upright, also have them on all the time in normal space, which is apparent when watching the movies (The Falcon scenes for example).
But I'm not sure if they are on in fighters, as the pilots are strapped into their seats during combat anyway. This saves power, aswell, to be directed to other more vital components during combat such as shields, engines, thrusters and/or weapons systems.
 Zendjir
05-21-2002, 12:44 PM
I read somewhere that the pilots from rogue squadron adjusted their dampers (or whatever they are called) so that they would have a sense of G-forces when they did battle. This indicates that dampers can be turned on or off but that they are mostly on. Maybe they don't use that much power?
 MikeC
05-21-2002, 12:52 PM
My fighter will beat any of yours!

:tied:
 Jan Gaarni
05-21-2002, 1:36 PM
Well, I could be wrong, but since it needs to work on each and every single elementary particle for it to work, I would imagine it would draw a considerable amount of power.
 Ascari
05-21-2002, 3:05 PM
I think every single ship has them turned on.

If u turn them off, u would die because of the stress your seatbelts put against u.

However, u could make it 80% dampening. To have a sense of flying or something.
 Zendjir
05-22-2002, 5:43 AM
Yeah Ascari, that's what I said ;)

And yes, Jan, it will probably cost alot of power to use them but then again, power cores deliver a huge amount of energy. For example, blasters, shields and engines take on huge amounts of energy compared to dampers.
 Wraith 8
05-22-2002, 6:23 AM
*cough*

ok... ill share my insight.
The dampers that keeps you in your seat ar on at all times.
and it isnt a damper, it is a compensator. X-wing Book number 5, Wraith Squadron. the neice or niece or however you say it of Admirla Ackbar, Jasmyn Ackbar's compensator was shot to bits and she could reach the controlles anymore and crashed into a meteor. that is how she died. well that explains the compensator

The B-wing in XWA could shoot a fighter with all lasers linked?? All fighters in XWA could do that... well except for th A-wing cause he had more speed than blasters. if you hitted the craft right you could do it. now the B-wing has much more storage for torpedo's and ,missles. and can take a beating from capital ships and small fighters. the advantage of B-wings vs Capital ships is that a B-wing ccan hit a sip easaly and a ship cant hit a B-wing easaly.
For the fighters it is a different thing. That is why every squad of B-wuings was protected by a squad of X-wings.

Now a Tie defender could easaly atke on many ships... it is a tough fighter to deal with.... but not invincable.

did i leave somethin out? i think not
 Zendjir
05-22-2002, 6:33 AM
Yeah, I know all fighters could link their lasers in XWA but for the B-wing this was more effective than for other craft (a-wing). A B-wing could fire 6 lasers/ion bolts in one shot, thats what I meant.

Oh and you left out the power issue of compensators/dampers/whatever. :D

And I seriously doubt that the tie-defender will be in the game, or playable. I don't know when it was designed, but the Tie-advanced was created just after the battle of Yavin (vader flew a prototype), you will be able to fly one of those perhaps.
 Zendjir
05-22-2002, 6:33 AM
Yeah, I know all fighters could link their lasers in XWA but for the B-wing this was more effective than for other craft (a-wing). A B-wing could fire 6 lasers/ion bolts in one shot, thats what I meant.

Oh and you left out the power issue of compensators/dampers/whatever. :D

And I seriously doubt that the tie-defender will be in the game, or playable. I don't know when it was designed, but the Tie-advanced was created just after the battle of Yavin (vader flew a prototype), you will be able to fly one of those perhaps.

---------ACK! double post!
 Wraith 8
05-22-2002, 6:43 AM
wow double post :D

euh... you are forgetting one thing that the B-wing and the A-wing were both intruduced in return of the jedi.... and not before.... as we know is that jan dodonna designed the a-wing.. and ackbar the b-wing... but if your stating that the tie defender isnt there yet... so id the B and the A....
 Zendjir
05-22-2002, 10:38 AM
Yup, that would mean just that indeed :)

I heard somewhere that there was a B-wing in a space-addon trailer somewhere, if this is true than maybe the Tie-D and the A-wing are in the game too. It would not be right though, becuz the B-wing was designed just before the battle of Endor.

But it would be great to fly an A-wing in SWG....

*floats away, on a cloud in the sky....dreaming of his A-wing

:D
 Ascari
05-22-2002, 1:24 PM
Another question:

Is it possible for a fighter to attach itselve to a freighter?

Because it would be mighty handy if u were in a freighter with some people and u got in a fight and some1 can slip in the fighter and detach itselve from the freighter and fight with it.
 MikeC
05-22-2002, 3:50 PM
It would have to be a freighter specifically designed to carry a couple of fighters. I think in one of the Wraith Squadron books they also attached a couple of Tie Interceptors to the escape hatches.

As far as the A-Wing, B-Wing, and Tie-D go - given the timeline of the game none of them should appear.
 Koffin
05-22-2002, 4:30 PM
After the E3 video, I got my eye on that Corellian Corvette. Can you say "modification"?

Now if it could be modified to store a couple of X-wings.......
:deathii:
 MikeC
05-23-2002, 3:14 AM
There are several EU sources (including that Wraith Squadron book) that show Corellian Corvettes modified to carry fighters.

Now the real question. Can we do that in the game?
 Wraith 8
05-23-2002, 5:56 AM
Dont you just love the Wraith Squadron books?? :D

Wraith squadron captured a coreelian corvette and they had 4 tie fighters in the hangar. now in combat they put the TIE fighters on the escape hatches (like mike said) so they can get into battle faster... but another reason was because the actual hangar was filled with X-wings. and the Corvette 'rolled' into battle shooting out X-wings. called the 'Loran Spittball' it helped them in getting the x-wing harmless into battle and at the same time protecvt the corvette :D

just some info :D
Page: 1 of 1