Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why doesn't Vader know Luke is at Owen's?

Page: 1 of 1
 SickOfJumping
05-17-2002, 11:22 PM
Obviously we saw Anakin meeting Owen and all, why wouldn't Vader think to seek out Luke there. And why wouldnt Obi Wan remember R2D2 after all this stuff, in ANH "I don't seem to remember ever owning a Droid". I know he isn't the owner but wouldn't he at least remember him being the keen Jedi he is? And why doesn't C3PO remember any of this as well, he says he and R2 have not been through anything really exciting in ANH doesn't he? Hopefully they explain this in episode 3.
 Yaten
05-17-2002, 11:32 PM
Perhaps he didn't know Luke existed to search for in the first place. Obi-Wan also probably tells Beru and Owen that Anakin is dead as he tells Luke. Owen probably blames Ben for Anakin's death, and thats why he seems pissed off with him in Episode IV.

Though I don't think with an actual family member is the best place to hide him....
 Stealth_Shot
05-17-2002, 11:37 PM
Yes there are some small discrepencies throughout the film, Ill try and make excuses for them as best I can.

First who knows that Vader even went looking for Luke? He was on a Star Destroyer right above Tatooine, surely he would ahve remembered meeting the Lars there. My guess is that Vader left his son and forgot about him only to find out he was becoming a powerful Jedi. About Obiwan, it was 20 years since he last saw R2D2, and Obiwan was probably so use to being around driods he completly forgot about R2D2. All astromech droids look very similar, I sure know I would have forgotten about one in 20 years. C3PO most likely had his memory erased before being given to a new owner. He would have completely lost all memories of everyone in the 3 new movies. Hope that clears a little of it. Remember, this is all speculation :atat:
 kaptaintrips
05-17-2002, 11:44 PM
I'm sure Anikin's insight to the birth of Luke and Leia will be revealed clearly in the upcomming installment. Enjoy this one for what it is ... the link that makes you question the'end'.
 SickOfJumping
05-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Yaten
Owen probably blames Ben for Anakin's death, and thats why he seems pissed off with him in Episode IV.

I remember the aunt saying "he's got too much of his father in him" or something, cannot remember exact words but refering to owen needs to let him go. Then Owen says "thats what I'm afraid of". To me this said he possibly knew who anakin had become?
 Aka
05-18-2002, 1:24 AM
Anakin was adventurous and Luke wanted adventure. Anakin was impatient, so was Luke according to Owen in that scene.

Both were whiny too.

Maybe Owen was pissed at Anakin for braking his swoop.
 Natty
05-18-2002, 1:36 AM
Anikan probably got so caught up in his hatered for everyone he forgets he even has a son and daughter. Although, hmmmms, I'm trying to think how to explain it. OK, Amidala gets pregnant (duh) but during the pregnancy, Ankian and Obiwan fight, and Anikan turns into Darth Vader, so Amidala flees Naboo or Corosant or wherever the hell they are to Aldaran (maybe Amidala has relatives there? don't know) and she has Luke and Leia there, but now that Vader is on the loose, Obiwan seperates Luke and Leia, sending Luke to Tattoine to live with Peru and Owen, while Leia stays with Amidala on Alderan? Amidala is heartbroken at what Anikan has become- so that could explain why Leia says she remembers her mother always being sad? I don't know- damnit Lucas hurry up will ya? I'm gettin impaitent :mad: :D
 Zindell
05-18-2002, 1:49 AM
See I think obi-wan recognized R2, I just think he responed to the comment about owning him, But they way he talks to R2 saying not to fear him and such is as if he'S trying to remind who he is. As for C3PO not remembering that's just wrong. didnt know what planet he was on, didn't know who obi-wan kenobi was.
 doc_holiday106
05-18-2002, 1:49 AM
man...i dont get it...in the movie Portman isnt at all a slut..
and Anakin is so horny for her. Yet she does get pregnant, so my guess is that he stuck it to her when she wasnt looking.

you know....stealth Defcom 6 stylez.
 Phaedout
05-18-2002, 5:15 AM
Easy answer to the question that began this thread. Vader/Anakin doesnt know that he has a son or a daughter yet.
 Phaedout
05-18-2002, 5:18 AM
R2D2 and C3P0 exchanged owners many times between the end of part 3 and the beginning of part 4. Their memory is wiped between each owner.
 RichDiesal
05-18-2002, 5:25 AM
Originally posted by doc_holiday106
man...i dont get it...in the movie Portman isnt at all a slut..
and Anakin is so horny for her. Yet she does get pregnant, so my guess is that he stuck it to her when she wasnt looking.

you know....stealth Defcom 6 stylez.

Well, perhaps she is pulled to him by destiny... remember, Anakin is "destined to bring balance to the Force." My perception of this was that Anakin's destiny was to allow Luke to be born, who would eventually defeat the Sith and start the new Jedi Knights of the New Republic.

So along those lines, it was both Padme and Anakin's destiny to have children... they couldn't avoid it if they wanted to (and I think Padme did want to avoid it, hehe)
 hogl
05-18-2002, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by RichDiesal

My perception of this was that Anakin's destiny was to allow Luke to be born, who would eventually defeat the Sith and start the new Jedi Knights of the New Republic.

Well, if you think about it, anakin himself destroys the emperor, not luke, thereby bringing balance in the force (that's how i see it anyways)
 Cracken
05-18-2002, 3:47 PM
"To protect you both from the Emperor you were hidden from your father when you were born" -Obi-Wan ROTJ
 Leagle
05-18-2002, 6:46 PM
Ok.

Vader doesn't know he has kids, in fact, if he does he probably thinks they went into hiding with his wife. He wouldn't know where she went, and would have thought little about much else.

Luke could have been a trap originally, to lure Vader out alone, so Obi-Wan could cane him, but it never came to pass.

I think Owen knows about Vader. While Beru says, "You gotta let him go sometime", he doesn't want him to leave. (And he knows there are more than enough droids.;))

I think Luke would go to train with Ben, but Owen is trying to hold it off for longer. He knows Luke can't become a TIE pilot.

If he doesn't know, like Ben says he just doesn't want Luke involved. He is trying to hold onto Luke as long as possible -maybe the Rebellion will be crushed and it will be safer for Luke to join the Navy.

Owen thinks of Luke in either case, and would rather Luke stayed with him than fight the Empire, or fight for the Empire. He might get killed, and he hates it anyway.

I hold more stock in the 1st tho, it shows why he is so brooding on the subject of Luke leaving, while Beru knows it would be unwise, she believes Luke can't be held back. I'm guessing she doesn't know the whole story.
 dorain8
05-18-2002, 7:11 PM
at the end of the movie anakin and padme get married

(was i the only one to see this)

and what do maried couples do
 Av8tor
05-18-2002, 11:26 PM
thank you, I was about to ask if that poster thought his mom was a slut.
 UnrealJedi
05-20-2002, 6:05 PM
First off, Vader never knew he had kids at the time they were born. If you read "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry, you'll come across a passage where Vader recalls sending out agents to discover the identity of the Rebel pilot who destroyed the first Death Star. Imagine his amazement to learn the pilot's name is Skywalker. Vader puts two and two together and realizes Luke is his son and who hid him (Obi-Wan obviously). This means Anakin must turn to the dark side before Padme tells him she is pregnant (so there's a few months in between Anakin's fall and the birth of the twins). I would guess Obi-Wan takes Padme and the twins to Alderaan and then takes Luke to the Lars homestead. This would explain why Leia remembers her mother but Luke doesn't.

I also think that Owen didn't want Luke to go to the Imperial Academy because if he did become a member of the Imperial Navy Vader would eventually discover him. Owen was trying to protect Luke, but he couldn't tell him why. There is a scene in ANH where Beru says "Luke just isn't a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him" to which Owen replies "That's what I'm afraid of", so Owent and Beru are aware of Anakin's transformation into Vader.
 arghh29
05-21-2002, 12:15 AM
I would think that Luke was hidden on tatooine because that is the last place in the galaxy Vader/Anakin would want to go. After his mother dies I am sure that he would want that to be his last visit to that planet. He doesnt exactly hide his hatred for the place.
 adam123
05-21-2002, 2:22 AM
About Obi commenting that he doesn't remember owning a droid in ANH...of course he remembers C3PO and R2D2. As someone pointed out, he is probably intentionally being ambiguous to protect Luke. Isn't this the exact same scene where Obi tells Luke that his father is dead? Obi is speaking methaphorically, not literally. Luke is young and naive. Telling the history of Obi's relationship to the droids will invariably bring up Anakin, which Luke is not ready to hear.
 COJ
05-21-2002, 2:36 AM
I doubt Anakin/Vader will be looking for Luke in Episod 3, only thing he'll do is kill al Jedis in the Universe, that's why Sidious wants Anakin, to help him kill every Jedi, now, Since Ben is on Tatooine in Episode 4, I think he went to Alderaan in Episode 3 with Amidala, got Luke and ran off with him to Tatooine, maybe to find his grand mother, (Obi-Wan doesn't know that Anakin's mother is dead, since Anakin never told him) then when he get's there, he finds Owen and gives him Luke, so that if he is ever caught, Luke would be safe...also, maybe Ben gets a message from Yoda to stay and protect Luke, because of Anakin killing all the Jedis...oh well, I think I spoil lots of thing here
 BlackDove
05-21-2002, 3:57 AM
Originally posted by Griswold
oh well, I think I spoil lots of thing here

You mean, you know that is what is gonna happen?
 COJ
05-21-2002, 2:19 PM
No, I think I said lots of stuff that could be true
 DarthNoodles
05-21-2002, 5:07 PM
Originally posted by UnrealJedi
First off, Vader never knew he had kids at the time they were born. If you read "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry, you'll come across a passage where Vader recalls sending out agents to discover the identity of the Rebel pilot who destroyed the first Death Star. Imagine his amazement to learn the pilot's name is Skywalker. Vader puts two and two together and realizes Luke is his son and who hid him (Obi-Wan obviously). This means Anakin must turn to the dark side before Padme tells him she is pregnant (so there's a few months in between Anakin's fall and the birth of the twins). I would guess Obi-Wan takes Padme and the twins to Alderaan and then takes Luke to the Lars homestead. This would explain why Leia remembers her mother but Luke doesn't.

Pure speculation and, my guess is, not what happens, the books are not canon. They mean nothing to George.
 bornskir
05-21-2002, 6:33 PM
Here's a thought. In ATOC, Anakin and Padme said that they would have to keep their relationship secret. Even though they were married, Anakin still had Jedi stuff to do, and Padme was still a Senator. My guess is that they "did it" on their wedding night and she got pregnant. Then they went their separate ways. A lot can happen in 9 months and maybe they never saw each other. Also, 2 years passes between Episodes 2 and 3.

My Theory: Padme has Luke and Leia before Episode 2. In the 2 years between 2 and 3, Anakin turn more and more to the dark side and fearing for the twins, Obi-one hides them before Anakin/Vader knows that they were even born. Also, I heard a rumor that Vader actually kills Padme. Maybe Vader found out that she hid his children from him, or something like that, and he kills her. By the end of Episode 3, you figure 2-3 years pass. That's enough time for a child to have some memory. That's why Leia couldn't really remember her mother except for feelings.

How's that sound?
Page: 1 of 1