Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

When Leia and Vader meet in ANH

Page: 1 of 1
 Stealth_Shot
05-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Since they are members of the same family, and the force is stong in their family, dont you think that Vader would feel strange being around Leia? He didn't seem to mind torturing her. I know that he never found out about her, but I still think Vader would feel just a slight disturbence in the force... :vadar:
 Zaarin
05-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Girls are weak, that's why.
 Topdan
05-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Well the honest answer to that is that wasn't planned yet in Lucas' head.

But to stay in the SW universe, I would say that as Leia is not even aware of this power and that she never developed it so Vader didn't feel it. Ok, now you are going to ask me why in TPM, Obi-Wan sense a disturbace in the force when he lands on Tattoine, and that young Anakin is responsible for the disturbance. I would reply that the force is so strong in young Anakin that even if it's not developed in him, jedis can feel it.
 dorain8
05-19-2002, 3:50 AM
and that young Anakin is responsible for the disturbance. I would reply that the force is so strong in young Anakin that even if it's not developed in him, jedis can feel it.

anakin was using the force
he uses force reflexes while podracing
 Topdan
05-19-2002, 4:04 AM
Originally posted by dorain8

anakin was using the force
he uses force reflexes while podracing

Not sure about that. For sure, if he used them, he wasn't aware of it...
 Leagle
05-19-2002, 6:46 PM
They have to be using the force. Vader notices Luke, as he has opened his mind to the force, and is *aware*.

Leia isn't.

Anakin uses it, tho he is not really *aware* of it.
 Natty
05-20-2002, 4:03 AM
Also- because at least Obiwan and later Yoda were training Luke to use the force blah blah blah, so therefore Vader could sense Luke around. I seriously doubt that if Luke had just rocked up to Vader and said 'hi I'm Luke' then Vader would have had no way of knowing that Luke is a jedi- much less his own son.

Also- if you think back to Phantom Menace, and Empire Strikes Back (I think) Yoda tells Anikan AND Luke they're too old to begin the training- hence there must be some sort of training involved to use the force. That's why Vader doesn't suspect Leia since she hasn't had any training in the powers of the force, but Luke has, even if it was very minimal
 Bylak
05-20-2002, 9:34 PM
I'm pretty sure the only reason why Yoda said they were too old was because (now i could be wrong here) children are preferribly taken from birth if found force sensitive (via medi-chlorien count) and trained as jedi, so they have no emotional attatchments to family, keeping them safe from the dark side. I think that Qui-Gon says something about this in episode 1 to back this up too.

Again, most of this is speculation.
 3toedtreesloth
05-20-2002, 11:29 PM
k, in ANH when luke is trying to destroy the death star, darth vader says "the force is strong with this one", i think this is cos luke is using the force while he is flying, even though he isnt really aware of it. When vader meets leia, she is not using the force, which is why he doesnt sense it.
When jedi are trained they are always using the force, to 'sense' things, which is why vader can later sense luke even when he isnt obviously using the force. Just my opinion.
Remember qui gon doesnt immediately sense anything about anakin until he hears about the podracing and stuff.
Page: 1 of 1