Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What Lucas should have done with Darth Maul

Page: 1 of 1
 Zealot888
05-17-2002, 12:01 PM
Somehow Obi should have fled from the duel of fates leaving Darth Maul alive for Ep2. Lucas should have had Palpitine pimping two apprentices without there knowlege. Since Tyranous was a more ambitious political type and Maul was more of a loyal assassin type he could possibly inform maul of tyranous's existance. Once he was done with him he could have sent maul to dispatch him. That would have been awesome to see two sith duke it out.

But can you imagine in that huge jedi fight if Maul jumped in and started to slay jedi's left and right like it aint no thing. Dead jedi's everywhere with a fast ass with a duel saber. They could have killed him off way better than EP1 too. They could have had like 10 jedi surround him and slice him to bits, many many bits. At least then we could think that he died not because Hollywood wanted him dead, but because he was just overwhelmed.
 HertogJan
05-17-2002, 12:30 PM
They could have done that but hey, then EPI shouldn't have a happy end, and that is what SW is about, happy ends :)
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Since the time of Darth Bane, there have only been two Sith at one time, a master and an apprentice.

As much as I loved Darth Maul, it is clear from the events of Episode II that his usefulness had come to an end, and that given his history as Dooku, Tyranus was needed.

Perhaps Sidious realised this and sent Maul into a situation that he knew would probably result in his death...
 Yaten
05-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Its difficult to say whether or not Lord Sidious wanted Darth Maul to be killed there, because no matter how angry with things 'going wrong' he gets, he always says that everything is proceeding as he has forseen... but it sounded to me like he wanted Maul to kill the Jedi...

'Move against the Jedi first... you will then have no difficulty in taking the Queen to Naboo to sign the treaty'

'You have been well trained, my young apprentice... they will be no match for you...'

If Darth Sidious wanted Darth Maul dead so that he could train another Sith Lord, I think he could have managed that himself... wither by Force LIghtning... or Lightsaber... which, I must say would be pretty awesome... I wonder if the Emperor will have a lightsaber duel at any time..
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 1:06 PM
If you look very carefully, Palpatine/Sidious does nothing by his own hand. He would not kill his own apprentice then. The whole point about everything proceeding as planned is that he has all angles covered.

If Maul kills the Jedi, that's two less in his way. Maul would have been taken out by other Jedi eventually. If Maul did die, his objective of becoming Supreme Chancellor has been achieved in any event. The time had come for a new apprentice, and Sidious couldn't lose either way.
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 1:09 PM
Maul was used as a pawn just like Dooku. Remember, he is the Sith master. That is the badest of bad or darkest of the dark jedi. He has no more allegiance to his apprentice as to the rest of the world. That is the way of the darkside. He didn't send Maul in to take care of the Jedi and be able to get the treaty signed. He didn't want it signed! That would have made his rise to Chancellor impossible. The entire trade federation thing was for him to rise to Chancellor. He is the master manipulator.
 DarthNoodles
05-17-2002, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by Vader10
He didn't send Maul in to take care of the Jedi and be able to get the treaty signed. He didn't want it signed! That would have made his rise to Chancellor impossible. The entire trade federation thing was for him to rise to Chancellor. He is the master manipulator.

My thoughts too.

Sidous\Palpatine obvisously played both sides in EP2. He manuevered things to cause the conflict so he could install the army and eventually the rise of the empire.

BTW, Star Wars: Episode III: Rise of the Empire is a decent title, or something similar.

The whole Palpatine \ Sidious \ Sifo-Dyas will be worked out in ep3, which is mighty confusing right now.
 Zealot888
05-17-2002, 3:29 PM
I still think Palpitine is slick enough to have had two apprentices working for him at the same time (unknowingly). There is no universal rule that limits the universe to only two sith at one time. It's just a smart code that is followed to keep them from destroying themselves for power.

I still wish maul got in on that huge jedi scene. Oh and another wish for episode 3 is that Anakin is manipulated by palpitine to think that the jedi were responsible for what ever happens to Padme. That way it's Anakin that does some hard core jedi slaying. I have a feeling Episode 3 will be full of saber fights and force powers.
 DarthNoodles
05-17-2002, 3:42 PM
Thinking some more about it...

Darth Maul really wouldn't fit into the EP2 story very well. Maul was a warrior, pure and simple, a fighter.

Tyranus\Dooku is a charismatic former Jedi, much more reserved and in control, better suited for persuading systems to join the cause.

If Maul had lived into EP2 then there would have been the extra story of Tyranus\Dooku taking out Maul. People have already complained that the story was too caotic and jumping arouns too much in EP2 so it would have only made it worse.
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 3:51 PM
Take it how it is, better than I could ever write it. There's too much hype about darth maul yeah he was a good fighter but not good enough. He wouldnt have fit anyways. I like the story how it's going. All is being revealed just need to be patient.
 Raktiel
05-17-2002, 4:15 PM
I am so eager to see episode III because I feel that lucas has the whole thing going great!! i think at the end of episode three we are all gonna be totally stunned by the story taking in the whole story in our heads and realizing how well it was written.

One thing that makes me mad is seeing these people who review the movie and critisize (not sure if spelled right) it saying it pales to the first 3, i think thats very unfair, He SET the standard and now they expect him to blow away his own standards? I seen movies around the same era as episode IV like Flash gordon?? plz lol movies have come along way AFTER episode IV, so I personally applaud Lucas and all his efforts. ok enough of me on my soap box.
 dorain8
05-17-2002, 4:51 PM
dooku left the jedi order 10 years prior to episode 2
(right after episode 1)

no such thing as more than 2 sith not for a 1000 years

oya another thing that started 10 years prior
the order to build the clone armies that no one knew about

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i lived in ep1 how they fit ET in
which shows that we are out in the outer rims somewhere

:D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

maul was cool
but so was jango
 wildheart73
05-17-2002, 8:56 PM
dont forget yoda! when he removed his cloak and drew his lightsaber,then blipped about-all at the ripe old age of 780 odd years-now thats cool:o)
Page: 1 of 1