Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kind of a stupid question.....

Page: 1 of 1
 StealthFox
05-17-2002, 11:22 AM
But why is it that all the Sith have the title Darth? I've been thinking about it a lot lately and I just don't know the answer. Can someone fill me in on this?

God, I feel like such a dumbass.
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 11:25 AM
It is simply how you title them. For instance, people who belong to the U.S. senate are called Senator "InsertNamehere".

Remember, not all dark jedi are sith. There are only 2 at any given time. I believe the Darth nomenclature goes with the Sith, not with all dark jedi.
 Jaster21801
05-17-2002, 8:24 PM
See, the thing about the whole sith thing is kinda funny.... Sith are dark jedi... everyone knows that... but this is the key.... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when, during the golden age of the sith, there were millions of Sith... NOw this is the problem cuz where does the dark side come from? Corrupt, greedy individuals... So all teh greedy lil bastards set out to kill the opposition in the sith ranks..... Now this was all gravy until all of em frickin wiped out each other.... With the exception of ONE.. I think I read that he went into hiding and that it was Darth Bane... but I can't remember... Anyway, Darth (insert name here) trained one other sith, but was smart and mandated that only 2 sith lords be present at any given time... This way, there's always a balance of power and no uprisings will occur... That's why it's
Darth Sidious ->Darth Maul in Ep 1, then 10 years later it's:
Darth Sidious ->Darth Tyrranous...
THEN, it's obviously Darth Sidious ->Darth Vader until the end of the original trilogy...
 Keiran Halcyon
05-17-2002, 8:37 PM
Darht Tyrannus is official?

I thought it was, but in the movie it didn't appear (at leat i do not remember)
 Cracken
05-17-2002, 11:42 PM
He's called "Darth Tyrannus" by Jango, I believe.
 StealthFox
05-17-2002, 11:57 PM
I understand how it all works, I just don't see why they're called Darth "Name". Maybe cuz it's a badass sounding word or something.
 BCanr2d2
05-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Thank the dutch for the name Darth - obviously Lucas found it and used it. It is dutch for Dark. If we convert Darth Vader, we see it is actually Dark Father in Dutch.

As we see in most of the movies, there is an alter ego to those that are Sith - Dooku/Tyrannus, Palpatine/Sidious. That to keep themselves hidden when doing their underhanded dealings with many people. Bit obvious if people were dealing with Darth Palpatine, everyone would assume he was the senator from Naboo....

Why Darth Bane set up the naming convention, I am not sure, but probably to do with the way the Sith deal with deception and ambiguity.
 drallvekk
05-18-2002, 12:16 AM
there couldn't have been more than 100 sith in the entire history of the sith... bane (the original sith) defected from the jedi ranks
taking with him 50 out of the jedi ranks (which happens in two weeks), now the heads that obi was looking at in the library place were fallen jedi (he was looking at dooku) and their are 20 of them (so not all the jedi bane took to the dark side were jedi some were apparently padawans), anyway... eventually banes band of rouge jedi turn on each other a kill themselves off (which is why bane mandates that their only be two sith in existence at a time) now all that took place 2000 years ago. so you take the 20 heads in the library (we'll count all of them as sith) and then figure how many sith their could have been from then till now (if the average life span of a sith is around 200 yrs depending on his race) let's see... 2000 divided by 200 = 10 x 2 (because their are always two) = 20 plus the 20 from the library = 40 (and if u want to throw in the other 30 padawans from banes rule = 70)

and so even if u kill of a few thru duels and what not their would still never have been more than 100 sith
 BCanr2d2
05-18-2002, 12:24 AM
drallvekk,

Then how come so much of the EU stuff of the time way before any of the movies, ie the upcoming game Knights Of The Old Republic, just one amongst many, all mention that it was a time when the Sith and Jedi were almost in even numbers. This claims to be based 4000 years before the movies.

Since there has always been a large Jedi presence, we can easily assume that at one stage there were a lot of Sith, numbering in the thousands. The fact that the Sith deceive and are underhanded lead to their downfall, each one trying to kill another to rise higher in the ranks. Then Darth Bane set the doctorine of only two, so that there would never really be such a problem with keeping the Sith going
 drallvekk
05-18-2002, 12:33 AM
bane was the original sith, the original sith reign only lasted two weeks (according to george lucas), their were no sith before bane video games are not cannon and i don't see anything about the sith in knights of the old republic
 drallvekk
05-18-2002, 12:35 AM
scratch tat last part i just read the kotor story line (lol.. definately not cannon)
 Zindell
05-18-2002, 12:39 AM
rgr
 drallvekk
05-18-2002, 12:53 AM
this is info from the official site:

[An ancient order of Force-practitioners devoted to the dark side and determined to destroy the Jedi, the Sith were a menace long thought extinct. The current incarnation of the Sith is the result of a rogue Jedi dissident from the order. Two thousand years ago, this Jedi had come to the understanding that the true power of the Force lay not through contemplation and passivity. Only by tapping its dark side could its true potential be gained. The Jedi Council at the time balked at this new direction. The Dark Jedi was outcast, but he eventually gained followers to his new order. Awakening beliefs from the dark past, the new Sith cult continued to grow. With the promise of new powers attainable by tapping into the hateful energies of the dark side, it was only a matter of time before the order self-destructed. Internecine struggle by power-hungry Sith practioners dwindled their numbers.

One Sith had the cunning to survive. Darth Bane restructured the cult, so that there could only be two -- no more, no less -- a master, and an apprentice. Bane adopted cunning, subterfuge, and stealth as the fundamental tenets of the Sith order. Bane took an apprentice. When that apprentice succeeded him, that new Sith Lord would take an apprentice.

Thus, the Sith quietly continued for centuries, until the time of Darth Sidious and his apprentice, Darth Maul. By that time, the galaxy at large had believed the Sith to be extinct, a fabled threat from the past. ]

their was a race of people called the sith whom the fallen jedi subjugatted and took on their name but they are not really sith but they did number in the thousands
 The Rocket Man
05-18-2002, 1:40 PM
Darth = short for Dark lord of the Sith

edit:

Oh, and BCanr2d2: Darth ISN't Dutch for 'dark'. At least I've never heard of it, but then, I only live in Belgium.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-18-2002, 3:09 PM
Originally posted by Cracken
He's called "Darth Tyrannus" by Jango, I believe.

Yaeh, i think that i remember now.

But how about Bail Organa? :confused:
Page: 1 of 1