Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ep III 18 years before Ep IV ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Morph
05-17-2002, 9:31 AM
When do you think, will Episode III exectaly play ??
I mean, in "A new hope" Luke and Leia are about 18 or so. This means, that they are born around 12 years after Episode II, which plays 30 years before Episode IV. So Episode III will surely play around Luke's and Leia's birth. But what happens during this 12 years ? They are quite iportant for Anakin's developement, I guess. It will be rather difficult for George Lucas to bring it all into one film of 2 and a half hour. But I'm sure, he'll make it ;)
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 9:52 AM
The 12 years or so, which will encompass most of the Clone Wars, will be referred to in the scrolling intro, and we will jump into the conclusion of the Wars.

First third of film : Conclusion of Clone Wars - Anakin in space battle - Mandalorian warriors a plenty

Middle Third : Birth of Luke and Leia - Anakin turns to the Dark Side - Amidala killed (by Dooku, Palpatine, or perhaps by Anakin after he has turned) - Anakin fights Obi Wan

Last third: Anakin now Vader - Jedi Purge - Obi Wan rescues children - loads of stormtroopers
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 11:07 AM
12 years after episode 2? that would mean they were already 6 years old at the end of episode 2 am i missing something?
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by thelegalbeagle

Middle Third : Birth of Luke and Leia - Anakin turns to the Dark Side - Amidala killed (by Dooku, Palpatine, or perhaps by Anakin after he has turned) - Anakin fights Obi Wan

Last third: Anakin now Vader - Jedi Purge - Obi Wan rescues children - loads of stormtroopers

Don't really think this is the way it will go. if you remember, in ROTJ, Vader didn't know about Leia at all. He found that out from Luke's emotions. In fact, I don't think he knew about Luke either. I think Palapatine told him in ESB or he figured it out sometime between ANH and ESB on his own.

I think Palapatine tells Dooku to kill Padme at some point in the movie. Prior to that happening, she has the kids, but Anakin doesn't know because he is off on assignment. Palpatine then tells Anakin that Dooku killed her, and he goes off on completing is path to the dark side.

I am curious on how Palpatine gets him to go track down and kill all the other Jedi. Remember, he is sent to kill not only the council, but ALL jedi including dark jedi. When the killing is done, Palpatine only wants the Sith (him as master and vader as lord/apprentice) to exist.

I know one thing for sure. It is going to be a kick a$$ movie. It has to be with everything that has to happen. My only concern is how is Lucas going to cram it all in 2 1/2 hours without being shallow on some important plots. I guess we have to wait 3 years to find out. :(
 Kylilin
05-17-2002, 11:40 AM
I'm guessing that the marriage between Anakin and Padme gets found out, causing Anakin (who I'm sure will be a full fledged Jedi Knight or even a master by then) to get thrown out of th Jedi order. Leaving him to be scooped up by Sidious and the Sith machine.
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 11:45 AM
Even if Anakin goes off on some mission, how on earth would he fail to find out that his wife is pregnant??!!
 HertogJan
05-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Hmm yeah Ep IV is 18 years later than Ep III... But in the end of EpII, you see that they are beginning to build the Death Star... WTF!! They build the first Death Star in say 20 years, but the second one was build in a much shorter time, somewhere during EP IV...

That doesn't make sense...
 Reb Starblazer
05-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Actually, the supposed timeline is:
Episode 1: 32-30 years before Episode 4
Episode 2: 10 years after episode 1, thereby, 22-20 years before A New Hope
Episode 3: 20-18 years before Episode 4

The reason I have put a time lapse of two years in Episode placement, is because we are never actually told how old Luke and Leia are. I've heard they are 18, but I've also heard thay they are 20, so I am unsure as to which one is right.

Also, another thing that is somewhat off topic, but does relate to the whole time that the events take place. How old is Count Dooku!!?? Jeez, if he was Qui-gon's master, and Qui-gon was fairly old(around 60!) that means that Dooku is at least what, 80?90? And that's if Qui-gon was Dooku's very first padawan! Yes, I know Yoda was 900 years old, but Yoda wasn't human. This guy is like 80-90 years old, and whoops Obi-wan and Anakin. Perhaps experience is the most valueable ally :D
 fettsdealer
05-17-2002, 12:45 PM
Hmm yeah Ep IV is 18 years later than Ep III... But in the end of EpII, you see that they are beginning to build the Death Star... WTF!! They build the first Death Star in say 20 years, but the second one was build in a much shorter time, somewhere during EP IV...

don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed, it pales into insignificance compared to the power of the force.

:jawa

ooteeni
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by HertogJan

That doesn't make sense...

Sure it does. They didn't start building the deathstar in Ep II. The only mention was that of the design or plans for the deathstar. Also, remember that it is always much quicker the 2nd time around. The first time they built it, I am sure they had to make modifications along the way. The initial blueprint is almost always never 100%. Also, the emporer was a little more forceful ( remember Vader arriving in ROTJ) on the timeline in ROTJ.
 DarthNoodles
05-17-2002, 1:12 PM
I think this is what will happen:

Anakin knows Padme is pregnant but doesn't know it's twins. I say this because I think Vader knew all along about Luke, but oviously not Leia.

Anakin goes bad during Padme's pregnancy so he's not around at the birth.

Padme dies giving birth. I can't see Lucas haivng Anakin kill his wife.

My gut feel is that Anakin\Vader never sees Luke until ANH, but does know about him.
 Reb Starblazer
05-17-2002, 1:15 PM
Well, let's look at it this way. Suppose the Death Star begins construction at either the beginning or the end of Episode III(At the end is more likely). It takes a long time to build., about 18 years. Then there is a second Death Star, but remember that there is about 4 years between Episodes 4 and 6. Also, who's to say that they didn't start building the second Death Star while still building the original. The only thing better than one moon sized super Battlestation( except two torpedoes fired in the exhaust shaft of course:D) is two moon sized super Battlestations. They just learned from their mistakes, and made the second one better, more powerful, with (supposedly) less weaknesses.
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 1:21 PM
Vader knew about Luke, from

"Sister, so, you have a twin sister. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me"

This implies that only the sister came as a surprise. His references in TESB to 'the son of SKywalker' simply emphasises that the name Anakin Skywalker 'no longer has any meaning' to him.

Did Palpatine know of Luke from birth or only after ANH? If he knew right away, would he not have wanted him eliminated in the Jedi Purge, since it would be obvious that he would be Force sensitive?
 deean
05-17-2002, 1:27 PM
Padme doesen't die in birth and looks after leia for a small amount of time at least, as I read somewhere that leia remembers a little about her mother!

so there

implies that she is killed

deean
 Vanor
05-17-2002, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by DarthNoodles
Anakin knows Padme is pregnant but doesn't know it's twins. I say this because I think Vader knew all along about Luke, but oviously not Leia.

I don't think Vader or Palp could of known about either of the twins, Luke or Leia...

In ANH Vader seems surprised at how strong the force is in Luke durning the trench run. And Vader never comments on sensing Lukes presence when he's on the DS, but he does sense Obi-Wan's.

And in ESB, the Emperor makes a statement along the lines of "If the son of Skywalker could be turned, he would make a powerfull allie" If Vader knew about Luke, why did he let him be rased on Tattoone, rather then taking him to be rased on Courscant as a dark jedi?

Anakin may know that Padme is pregnat, but I'd say he thinks she dies either durning or before she gives birth.

And to the "how would he not know?" Well if he was sent out on a lenthy assignment, he may not of gotten word of it. It takes about a month or two before a woman knows she's pregnant, so it's very possable she found out but never had a chance to tell him... No one is supposed to know about the two of them after all.
 tardka
05-17-2002, 9:47 PM
Padme does not die at birth and probably not until luke and leia are like 3 at least in my guess. in ROTJ luke asks leia if she remembers her mother she said she was beatiful, but sad. She is sad that anakin turned to the dark side obviously , but this hints that she lived for a while after thier births and that she might have left on her own and stayed away from anakin since he doesnt know about leia he obviously never went back to see Padme and see the kids as well unless she sent them away after they were a few years old and before anakin finds her. It also can imply that ep 3 may span a few years since her death seems as if it would be integral to the plot. My guess is obi-wan re-locates the children sending leia to Alderan and luke to Tatooine with his half-uncle where Anakin doubtfully would expect him to be.
 Zanatos99
05-17-2002, 11:37 PM
I would just like to say that Padme does not die in ep 3.Simply because Leia remembers her when she's a little girl.She describe's her as being beutiful and sad in ROTJ.
 Kylilin
05-20-2002, 11:40 AM
I think Padme's pregnancy will be totaally hidden from Anakin because he goes bad before Padme finds out that she is pregnant. I also think it possible however highly unlikely that Padme kills herself because of her sadness.
 Topdan
05-20-2002, 11:48 AM
HELLO ????????????????

I AM YOUR FATHER....

How can you say that Vader wasn't aware that he had a son...
 Jedi_Monk
05-20-2002, 6:25 PM
Vader didn't know he had a son until he had his men investigate the person who destroyed the Death Star.

Here's a nice question: Leia thinks that Bail Organa is her father. Now, Amidala's already married Anakin, so what happens? Is the marriage anulled? Does she marry Bail Organa? Is she a handmaid to the Alderaanian royal family? Did she just THINK that Amidala was Bail's first wife? Those're some major questions that SW3 will have to deal with.
 pnags
05-20-2002, 9:31 PM
Topdan, I laughed my ass off at your post. that was hilarious (seriously, i'm not ripping on it i really did laugh out loud :)! i totally agree with you.
Page: 1 of 1