Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Music from AOTC

Page: 1 of 1
 sid
05-17-2002, 6:57 AM
Nice to hear more of John Williams music from the original trilogy..

Luke's theme for Anakin outside the Lar hut on tatooinne.
The imperial march for the clone army towards the end.
Duel of the Fates while Anakin is on his bike searching for Shmi. (originally from Phamtom menace)

..and not including the rest of the music which to this day still sounds fantastic. Not too sure if either Luke's theme or the imperial march was in Phantom.

:angel:

Was there any music from AOTC released as a single like Duel of the Fates was for Phantom?
 dvader28
05-17-2002, 9:58 AM
I believe they're releasing the love theme "Beyond the Stars" as a single. The music throughout is great...JW has outdone himself!
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 10:33 AM
yes just as expected another masterpeice, and of course magnificently played by the london symphany orchastra.
 ben_k
05-17-2002, 12:59 PM
The video is called "Across the Stars" and already debuted on MTV I think in April. You can watch it at Starwars.com in Quicktime format.
 Yaten
05-17-2002, 1:03 PM
The Imperial March was played A LOT in AotC. Which rules. I also liked the use of the droid invasion music from Episode 1, even though it was used for the Clone Army. The only musical mooments I didn't like was the part where Anakin and Padme are about to kiss... and then don't... and the music slouches really cheesily... and the part that really aggravated me, Duel of the Fates in the desert.
 Jedi_Prophecy
05-17-2002, 3:13 PM
I thought the music rocked. Just to mention Yoda's theme was played aswell and the imperial march is also known as darth vader's theme. I know one of the guys in the London Symphony Orchestra and he gave his friends a sneak preview of the music by calling them on his cell phone and leaving it on for the rehearsal. It was also the first time John williams didn't end the soundtrack with a huge orchestral climax but with a very soft pp chord. Really cool. Johnny does it again!!!!!!!!!!!
 Naphtali
05-17-2002, 9:09 PM
Actually Darth Vadars theme is slightly slower tempo, and not the same instruments
 Yaten
05-17-2002, 9:12 PM
According to the original Empire Strikes Back soundtrack, the title for the Imperial March is

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)

But its used not only for Lord Vader, but to put emphasis on anything 'Imperial' happening.
 RichyBoy
05-17-2002, 11:59 PM
I have to say that the music was the only thing that really disappointed me about Episode 2. While the music in Episode 1 was virtually all new (aside from a few clever references such as the brief statement of the Imperial March at the end of Anakin's Theme), the only really new theme in Episode II was 'Across the Stars'. I know there was some new material, such as that in the lengthy chase sequence on Coruscant, but that music was underscoring rather than presenting new thematic material. All the other Star Wars films have at least three or four new themes in them, but to me the score of Episode II just felt like it had been hastily knocked together from all the other films. I know JW likes to use lietmotifs (character related theme music that reoccurs) throughout the SW films, but this just score just felt like it had been knocked together with a hammer and nails.

Don't get me wrong, I normally love John Williams' work, and I thought the music that was reused matched the cinematic moments perectly. I even liked the use of DOTF in the desert as it perfectly captured the anger and adrenaline flowing through Anakin, but it just struck me that JW would normally use new music in a place like that. He must have been too busy with scoring Harry Potter and conducting the orchestra at the Oscars to make a huge effort for this film. I also thought that the LSO weren't playing quite as well as they normally do. The string instruments were EXTREMELY dodgy in the link between the Star Wars theme and the opening sequence of the movie. There were also a few other bits where the orchestra didn't seem to be quite together (but then, while JW is a brilliant composer, he certainly isn't the worlds greatest conductor).

Anyway, don't flame me for this - just my 2 cents!! Even a bad JW score is a million times better than most of the rubbish that gets used in other movies.

Oh yeah, I really liked the addition of the electric guitar in the "Zam the Bounty Hunter" sequence. Unfortunately I couldn't actually here it over the noise of the speeders in the scene itself.
 sid
05-18-2002, 2:12 PM
Thanks for that dvader28, ben_k...going over to the main starwars.com site to listen/possibly even download? :p

Cheers
 The Vehicular Jedi
05-18-2002, 2:57 PM
Gotta say that the music in AOTC was awesome. As mentioned earlier in the post, one part i found somewhat strange was the quick dropoff when anakin and padme stop kissing. It struck me as a comedic thing to do. Evoked too many thoughts of bad Jar Jar jokes from Phantom Mencace. *shudder*. Ah well. In all though, some good stuff JW cooked up.
 Jedi_Prophecy
05-18-2002, 7:31 PM
I can see why ppl would be disappointed with this soundtrack. What most ppl are looking for is an energetic in your face soundtrack. This was more underscoring in this soundtrack(music to go with dialogue). With the original SW and ESB soundtracks, a lot of concert pieces emerged from the music that were played as one piece. Only one emerged from ep1(Duel of the Fates). There's more dissedence in the soundtracks since ROTJ.

I disagree with JW not being a great conductor. I've seen him in action and he knows what he wants and how to get it, which is possibly the greatest trait a conductor can have.
 TegSkywalker
05-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Yaten
and the part that really aggravated me, Duel of the Fates in the desert.

OMG! That part was not only one of the best uses of music in the movie, but in the entire series....
Page: 1 of 1