Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I'm Sorry but this movie is not good.

Page: 1 of 1
 Baal Fett
05-17-2002, 6:45 AM
I want to like it, I really really do. It seemed awakward and disjointed. It didnt flow well at all (where is he? whats he doing again? oh yeah....) to a non Star Wars Disciple really ahrd to follow. A Casual fan gets way lost. I didn't really find myself hoping and yearning that they go save Obi-wan...like Luke did with Han Solo for example...The characters just didn't seem compelling...The Yoda scene came to late and was too short even thou it was well done...

Ask yourself this If you were not a Hard core fan would you like this movie? The thing about the first triolgy is that it took Sci-Fi mainstream...this movie shoves back in the closet...

somebody help me....convince me this movie is good!!
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 6:57 AM
When I went to the invite-only 9pm screening on Wednesday night, a friend of the person who invited me was there but had never seen any of the Star Wars movies before. She sat in her own corner of the lobby, except when she was being introduced which she'd always end by saying: "I've never seen a Star Wars movie, I hope this is worth my time."

After the movie, she was quite possibly one of the most vocal about how "awesome" the movie was. Granted, outside a group of us had to get together and school her on the overall history of Star Wars, but, in her words: "This movie kicked ass! I'm going to have to go and watch the others now."

So I guess it's a matter of degree. Yes, I am a hardcore fan so I had no problems with the movie, sans the two minor issues I wrote in a different thread; however, I don't see why a casual fan would have been lost. A casual fan would know the minimal basics of the Star Wars universe and should have easily been able to see the references - the building up, so to speak - to the original trilogy. I will admit that I felt the movie got 'jumpy' at points, seeming to not staying on one location for more than a few minutes, but I don't think it was disjointed at all.

Then again, I also read the book beforehand, so perhaps that is influencing my judgement.
 Wossname
05-17-2002, 7:20 AM
I don't see anything in the movie that would require a huge amount of in-depth knowledge of the Star Wars universe to understand.

All the intercutting is between locations and events we never knew about before anyway, so being a hardcore fan wouldn't help. Personally I found the intercutting easy to follow.

I don't know if I'd qualify as a casual fan or a hardcore fan. I own all the movies on video/dvd, but I never read any of the books.
 Baal Fett
05-17-2002, 8:16 AM
Ya I guess maybe what I am saying is this might be a good Sci-fi/Star Wars movie....but is it a good movie in general...at this point a maybe to the first and a no to the second
 Wraith 8
05-17-2002, 8:25 AM
well my brother.... doesnt like star wars at all... or lets say.. he doesnt care for it.. he came anyway... nad he said:

WOW... THIS WAS AWESOME...

and he started to ask all kind of questions about the other parts and he wants to see the other movies aswell...... i thought this movie ROCKED !!! ;)
 ldeviator
05-17-2002, 12:27 PM
Just my 2 cents...

I think that one had to be a fan to really appreciate the so called "boring" political intrigue as to where everything was going. I didn't find it boring, rather very important, but I guess I could see where non-fans might.... But the thing starts with an explosion.. and a really good one at that... I loved it.
 Yaten
05-17-2002, 12:34 PM
I don't think you have to be a hardcore Star Wars fan to love this movie. My best friend brought his girlfriend to see it with us... at 12:01am thursday morning. And while she doesn't hate Star Wars, she doesn't exactly love it like most of my friends and I do, immediately after the movie she told us it was on her top 10 movies of all time list. I'm pretty sure that when we go see it again... and again... and again... continued... that she'll be coming with us... she loved it.
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 12:34 PM
Whether or not it is a good film depends on personal taste.

Is it 'Citizen Kane'? No. Is it worse than 'Citizen Kane'? Who can say?

Critics raved about 'The Shawshank Redemption'. Personally, no thanks.

Cinema is an art not a science, and as an art is open to personal interpretation.

As far as AOTC is concerned, it made TPM make sense and has improved that, and it sets Episode III up nicely. I thought it was a great film.

And to all the critics after TPM - George knew what he was doing all along. Watch all six and eat humble pie
 Swoosh
05-17-2002, 12:50 PM
When I was watching it for the first time, I found a lot of enjoyment by thinking about all the foreshadowing and how well this film ties together with the rest of the trilogy. You can see Anakin is spiraling out of control, but you still hope that he retains some goodness. It's interesting to see all the actions and events that turn Anakin to the dark side. I kept looking at Hayden and trying to imagine him with the helmet on...he would do great at that too.
Now, I am a film major, so I can definitely see where people are upset about the movie is confusing if you aren't a fan boy, and I can definitely agree with them...but wouldn't Empire be the same way? There was no way that this movie could stand alone because of the whole concept behind it. You just have to understand its part in the series.
Oh yeah, I loved the film because I actually felt attached to some of the characters this time (as opposed to TPM). I could see myself as Hayden (haha) and I could feel some of the love they were sharing. I was definitely touched when Padme said she loved him as they were on their way to death. Given, there was some problems with their developing love, but all in all it was very effective. Anyways, just give the film a few weeks and go see it again after you forget some of the details...perhaps you will love it then.
 fido4fox
05-17-2002, 12:55 PM
I agree with the premise of this post on one issue only. The movie seemed disjointed and rushed, and there was too much love story. BUT, and thats a big BUT!! That was a requirement for the story. Those small points aside, it is far and away the second best SW movie, after ESB. We went to a bucnh more planets, saw more creatures, and new faces that actually were cool and didnt die!!

TPM did not do that. Naboo is great and all, but I liked how you got to see FOUR systems in this one, plus the interior of the jedi temple, etc.

The intercut scenes were many, and they did get things a little disjointed in a spot or two, but the overall reaction to the film has been good so far!!

IMHO

Fido
 Xx_Mentimus_Xx
05-17-2002, 1:34 PM
I just saw the movie. In a way, I wanted to see more 'clone war' fighting.

The story line was weird...the relationship between Senator Amidala and Anikan was to funkified, one moment they decide not to be in love secretly, and the next thing you know they are getting married, wtf!?!

But oh well, this is where Luke and Mrs. Organa come into view.

One thing I don't understand is that Jango Fett is a bounty, bounties hunt down Jedi, he gets raped by Mace Windu...not cool...he was bad ass lol.

Oh well its life, but we know he won't be getting a-head in life...

Overrall, I liked the movie. I love the wars and Jedi fighting, it amazings me, and Yoda fighting was even better lol....he is so agile!
 K_Kinnison
05-17-2002, 3:38 PM
Was it a good star wars movie? IMHO it was better then the last one.

I was certainly entertained by it. ANd i cold nitpick it A LOT if i really wanted. but then, why would be the point/
 Screed
05-17-2002, 5:34 PM
If you found the movie "jumpy" id hate to see ur reaction to Total Recall or The Matrix. Maybe you should go back to the G rated movies, btw this movie ROCKED, the whole theater i was in loved it, the love scenes WERE needed to depict Anakins fall to the dark side, and as for the political scenes were needed also for the sake of how Palpatine was seducing the entire senate. So if you didnt like this movie you need help. Even if the rest of the movie DID suck which it didnt, the whole Yoda fight scene redeemed it:D
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 5:51 PM
Originally posted by Xx_Mentimus_Xx
One thing I don't understand is that Jango Fett is a bounty, bounties hunt down Jedi, he gets raped by Mace Windu...not cool...he was bad ass lol.

What? A bounty hunter hunts down bounties, hence the occupation title Bounty Hunter. They are not bounties themselves. They do not exist to hunt down jedi. They hunt whoever they are paid to hunt. They are simply guns for hire. In fact, it would be a little far fetched for a bounty hunter to go after a jedi. They will lose 99 out of 100 times in a fight.

It was a testament to Jango's skill that he had a draw with Obi Wan and managed to shoot another. The head of the Jedi Council is the one who finally smacked him down.
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Screed
If you found the movie "jumpy" id hate to see ur reaction to Total Recall or The Matrix. Maybe you should go back to the G rated movies,

Wow, how intelligent. You took one word from my post and turned it into a flamefest.

Here's an idea: How about you learn to read an entire post before you open your mouth and generally make yourself look like a jackass?

I stated that the movie was very good, but a bit jumpy for my tastes. I was not a big fan of Total Recall (mainly because I thought the acting was poor), but I loved The Matrix. The Matrix was not jumpy, quite the opposite, actually. The Matrix flowed perfectly; in fact, The Matrix had only two real locations: Inside the Matrix and outside of the Matrix. Episode 2, on the other hand, near the middle of the film, seems to barely stay at one location for more than two or three minutes. We go from Kamino to Naboo to Kamino to Coruscant to Naboo to Kamino to Geonosis to Tatooine, so on, so forth. I can fully understand when someone complains that they felt the film was disjointed - though the movie isn't "disjointed" because everything makes steps in logical sequence - but it is jumpy toward the middle. I do not recall any of the movies crossfading from place to place with the same frequency.

While the book does go from place to place, it doesn't do so with the same frequency the movie does. THAT, my misguided friend, is what I mean by saying the movie is jumpy. You, however, just seemed to want an excuse to flame people who have a different opinion of the movie and dismissed the rest of my post.
 darthVADER
05-17-2002, 6:40 PM
this movie is 10 times better then episode 1
it has much more story in it then in episode 1
and i know that the love stuff with ani and padme is not believeable but no picture is perfect
 Moses
05-17-2002, 8:17 PM
I personally loved the movie.

I didn't think the love scene was unbelievable at all! They haven't seen eachother for 10 years, and though it probably didn't keep Padme up at night, Anakin thought about her every day since then. Not only can that build up someone in your mind to the point of perfection, but you have to think about Anakin's life. He is always angry and being rediculed. This memory is one of the few things that's pleasing to him and unchanging. When Padme arrives again he can't help but to love her. Padme is a little more difficult, but understandable if you think about it. Both Anakin and Padme spend all that "quality time" together on Naboo. She got to know him again. He's not angry around her, but calm. He's powerful and can do things with the Force that she can only dream of. He sacrifices his life multiple times to save hers. They both went through the same traumatic experience and shortly afterward they got married. Makes sense to me. It may seem a little rushed, but it still checks out as feasible. It may not be probable, but it's nowhere near impossible.

On another note. My favorite scene in the movie is when Anakin is telling Padme about how he killed the Tusken Raiders. Hyden Christensen definitely won my respect with that scene.
 Yaten
05-17-2002, 9:04 PM
Its not often when I go to the theatre that the entire theatre cheers uproarously, and claps numerous times during the film... oh, and before and after as well...

Actually... this NEVER happens. Apart from the times that I've gone to see a Star Wars movie... those being the Original Trilogy SE, TPM, and now AotC.

And no audience got as excited as for Clones.

After the movie was over, the majority of the audience stayed until the credits were done scrolling, and then out in the lobby, the majority of the audience hung around to discuss just how cool it was. The theatre I was at was playing it in two auditoriums, with 130 people each. I don't know about the other theatre, but in the one I was in, I didn't get the impression that very many, if any, people didn't like, or in fact, LOVE the movie.

Those of you who say it sucked are among a small minority, I feel. And so, while your disappointment is unfortunate, it doens't really matter, since most of us think this movie bloody rocked :D

I don't think it was perfect, by any means... but it lived up to my expectations of a Star Wars movie... none of the movies were perfect... but this one is up there with the original trilogy for sure.

In my opinion, this is the second best Star Wars movie yet.... second only to The Empire Strikes Back.

Go Empire!
 Da Real Jedi
05-17-2002, 9:25 PM
This movie its great!! totally worth it the line I had to make, yea people cheering and liking it its amazing... mm the Yoda fight, I'm glad to see him in the fight though after the fight where he grabs his baton or what he uses to walk, I mean c'mon he just kicked ass he doesnt need that.. but it all has a reason...

Bottom line..... Great movie ;)
 SickOfJumping
05-17-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Baal Fett
I didn't really find myself hoping and yearning that they go save Obi-wan...like Luke did with Han Solo for example...The characters just didn't seem compelling...

This REALLY struck me as bering the absolute problem with this film. Even in Episode 1 I felt it when Qui-Gon got killed, I cared what happened to that character. With this cast I could have cared less really.
 SickOfJumping
05-17-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Screed
If you found the movie "jumpy" id hate to see ur reaction to Total Recall or The Matrix.

LOL, you cannot compare it like that, those movies were that way BY DESIGN.
 dorain8
05-18-2002, 8:03 PM
i think people cared more about quigon
because we have never heard of him b4 ep1

but with obiwan
you know he was going to be fine just because you see him in ep4
 Lime-Light
05-18-2002, 10:27 PM
I liked the movie. True, it skipped around often in the middle, but I followed it fine. What REALLY pissed me off abou the movie was the pathetic and un-needed comic relief with C3P0 and that head switching thing. "I havent got my head on straight," "I'm beside myself," (his head sitting beside his body) there were a few of them, and it really bugged me. When did 3P0 become Jar Jar?

Aside frfom that, and the (for the most part) crappy acting, it was entertaining, if not brilliant.
 WookieJedi86
05-19-2002, 3:57 AM
:fett: Well, that was fantastic. I had no trouble with the flow of it. The "Jumpy"ness of it as Pers put was fantastic. Keeping it in one place gets boring and repetitive. Kept the action flowing. Where Yoda pimps on Dooku was probably my favorite scene. I have a 36 inch life replica of yoda, and now im proud to say I will be adding a lightsaber to his right hand, along with his cane. I believe that, if you just listen to each of the movies, that a little kid could get the plot and tie it together. I believe that the non-obsessive SW fans might be having problems with the fact that the movies didnt chronologically come out. I think that he did a wonderful job with foreshadowing and the climax was spectacular. If you look at Yoda's eyes when Palpatine says, "Senator Amidala should stay here." You can see yoda getting suspicious. I think that Yoda knows that "Bringing balance to the force" means. Im sorry to burden you with an opinion that might upset the balance, I just couldnt help it when i saw the debate. Well Im gonna go read some more books, i cant wait for the next Yuuzhan Vong book to come out =). Chow, and always remember, Chewbacca owns everyone! lol.
Page: 1 of 1