Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Count Dooku

Page: 1 of 1
 thelegalbeagle
05-16-2002, 7:45 PM
Christopher Lee definitely moved well for a man well into his 70s.

A worthy successor to the magnificent Darth Maul
 Natty
05-16-2002, 7:53 PM
Has anyone else think they've pulled off the 25year difference really well? You look at Jedi, and his makeup, and he looks like, I won't say great, but it's really good (if this makes sense? Sorry got 5hours sleep last night I was so excited over seeing it!) and yet even though he's 25odd years older now, he's managed to look younger :)

Which you think is the better? Sideous of now or Sideous of Jedi? My tip is now- coz what a dodgy, sneaky guy ;)
 thelegalbeagle
05-16-2002, 8:02 PM
What are you on about? Christopher Lee plays Count Dooku/ Darth Tyranus.

Ian McDiarmid plays Darth Sidious/ Emperor Palpatine, and it is a matter of supreme serendipity that Episodes I-III were/will be filmed 20-odd years after ROTJ, since Ian McDiarmid will have actually aged to the extent that he starts looking as old as he did in ROTJ.

BTW, nothing comes close in any of the films to the scenes in ROTJ with Emperor Palpatine, especially with his theme playing on the soundtrack.

Ian McDiarmid, I salute you.
 JediDante
05-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Man Dooku totally rocks! he witheld all of Yoda's attacks! Was a great movie to me! Don't care what critics or other people say! If you like Star Wars thats all that matters!
 eastcoast2895
05-17-2002, 11:15 AM
just a question, is dooku a dark jedi or a sith, it seemed to me he came off as a dark jedi, or did i miss something that says he was a sith?
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 11:24 AM
Dark Jedi is a sith?

He is the apprentice of Darth Sidious, his name being Darth Tyrannus So he is a sith. But he was an EX-Jedi so he is also a dark Jedi aswell.

Hope that answered your question, I know it probably just perplexes you more but I think Dark Jedi and Sith are the same thing.
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Zindell
Dark Jedi is a sith?
Hope that answered your question, I know it probably just perplexes you more but I think Dark Jedi and Sith are the same thing.

no no no. Sith are absolutely different from dark jedi. A dark jedi is simply a normal jedi that has fallen to corruption from the light side. There can be many dark jedi. There are only 2 Sith at any one time; a master and an apprentice. Ep I had sidious as master and maul as apprentice. Ep 2 has sidious as master and dooku (tyrannus) as apprentice. We will have to see who it is by end of Ep III. In Ep Iv- Vi, it was sidious and vader.

I believe there are a couple of EU books that explain the origins of the Sith. In a nutshell, way back before Ep I, there was a great battle between light and dark and most of the dark were vanquished to some planet. That is where the sith was first established. Little fuzzy on the exact origins, but there are only 2 sith.
 Kylilin
05-17-2002, 11:36 AM
no, dark jedi and sith are not the same thing.

Dark Jedi
term used to refer to those Jedi Knights who have fallen from the Light Side and become seduced by the power and ease of the Dark Side of the Force. Many of them were Sith masters as well, drawing strength from both sets of lore.

Sith
this ancient brotherhood of Jedi Knights split from the ranks of the "lightsiders" when access to the ancient Sith lore was forbidden. The Jedi Council feared that the knowledge of harnessing the Dark Side of the Force would be twisted and used to perform many evil acts. The Sith brotherhood was founded some 2,000 years before the Battle of Yavin by a rogue Jedi Knight who yearned to learn more of the Dark Side of the Force. Together with about 50 followers, this rogue fled the Old Republic and established his own Sith order. With galactic domination on their agenda, these new Sith Lords quickly became distrustful of each other and abusive of their dark side powers. In a short time, they had nearly wiped themselves out again. One Sith Lord remained, a man by the name of Darth Bane. He swore that the Sith would never again vanish from the galaxy, but also made certain that they never grew beyond their means. He established a rigid code by which there could only be a single Sith Lord and a single Sith apprentice. When the Lord finally expired, his current apprentice was promoted and allowed to take his own student. This pairing continued for the next several centuries until Darth Sidious rose to power as the Sith Lord. Sidious eventually took Darth Maul as his apprentice, and hoped to take control of the galaxy by bringing the Old Republic down from the inside. However, Maul was destroyed by Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Sidious' plans were thwarted. Decades later, Emperor Palpatine established Darth Vader as the last Dark Lord through the rigorous training he gave Vader. Following the deaths of Vader and Palpatine at the Battle of Endor, and with the destruction of Palpatine's clones on Byss, the order of the Sith was exterminated.

I got those from here (http://www1.theforce.net/CUSWE/default.asp)
 Zaarin
05-17-2002, 11:51 AM
I believe that I read that Palpatine gets cloned sometime after Ep6 and starts the whole good v's evil thing for 7, 8 and 9 (which George Lucas says he will not be making).
 K_Kinnison
05-17-2002, 3:26 PM
spacemonkey, the "Emporer Clone" thing is covered in the Dark horse comic series: Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empires end

btw waht was the point of Dooku's curved hilt?
 HBK
05-17-2002, 3:30 PM
I think Dooku was great. After talking to Kenobi "It may be difficult to get your release" something like that . That was great.

I LOVE seeing Palpatine as Senator and then Chancellor. More so then Palpatine as Emperor.
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 3:37 PM
I always know my answer is gonna be wrong yet I continue to post anyways.

So there are only ever 2 sith at a time at all times, there can't a sith lord and his aprentice and another sith lord and his apprentice. Then what are these sith masters in which you speak of? Was Dooku A dark Jedi Or A Sith now. He was the apprentice of Sidious but he also was an ex-jedi who succomed to the easier power of the dark side. I think I've gotten confused somewhere.
 DarthNoodles
05-17-2002, 3:49 PM
Originally posted by K_Kinnison

I read somewhere that the cureved hilt is better for Lightsabre battles where as the straight hilt of typical Jedi is better for deflecting blasters etc...
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 4:03 PM
Originally posted by K_Kinnison

Here's a repost of what I wrote in the Dooku's Lightsaber (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54698) thread:

"Anyway, in the book, during Obi-Wan's visit to the Jedi Archives to locate Kamino, he speaks at length with Jocasta Nu regarding Count Dooku. Unfortunately, this was completely lost in the movie. She explains that there are two types of saber fighters - classic fencers and modern sword style, but the former is all but dead because it does little to block current day conventional weaponry. Dooku, however, preferred the classic style and stubbornly held on to it, hence the shape of his lightsaber hilt."
 Vanor
05-17-2002, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Kylilin

Sith
this ancient brotherhood of Jedi Knights split from the ranks of the "lightsiders" when access to the ancient Sith lore was forbidden. The Jedi Council feared that the knowledge of harnessing the Dark Side of the Force would be twisted and used to perform many evil acts.

That's close, but doesn't match up exactly with what's said on www.starwars.com) And I think the offical site would take presidence over a fan site.

What they said was pretty much right, but the Sith were actualy a race of people who had a inate connection fo the dark side of the force. They used the dark side to power their spells, and didn't function anything like Jedi did.

At some point, a few dark jedi found the sith homeworld and combined their ablities with the dark side, with what the Sith did, adventualy all the sith race died out.
 Vanor
05-17-2002, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by Perniciosus
Dooku, however, preferred the classic style and stubbornly held on to it, hence the shape of his lightsaber hilt."

I don't doubt that, that was said in the book, but it doesn't make much sense to me. No weapon that I can think of, let alone swords have ever had a bent hilt. I know these are lightsabers and not swords. But I have trouble buying that a bent hilt sword would be more effective for fighting in that style then a stright one.

But that's purely IMO.
 stretch522
05-17-2002, 4:16 PM
Anyone else think that Vader/Aakin will kill Dooku in Ep3 to take his place at Sidious' side?
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by Vanor

I don't doubt that, that was said in the book, but it doesn't make much sense to me. No weapon that I can think of, let alone swords have ever had a bent hilt. I know these are lightsabers and not swords. But I have trouble buying that a bent hilt sword would be more effective for fighting in that style then a stright one.

But that's purely IMO.

I can see the point - it does seem more clunky, but it does fit with the style. While fencing swords are not bent, the manner in which one is held is consistant with the shape of the 'blade' of Dooku's saber. Theoretically, and this is just what I gather from reading the book and seeing it in action, the way it's constructed makes it easier to parry other lightsabers in a fencing style.
 DarkPraetorian
05-17-2002, 4:25 PM
Most definately. The whole idea behind the Sith Order is an unquenchable thirst for power, which is why there can only be 2 at a time. Palpatine will corrupt Anakin (from what I saw in Episode II, he doesn't have much more to do in that aspect), and then Anakin will end up killing Dooku to replace him.

Zindell, Dooku is a Sith. Simply because he was a Jedi Master to begin with doesn't mean he can't be a Sith. Ideally, the Sith Apprentice is raised from birth by the Sith Lord, as in the case of Darth Maul, making it easy for the Sith Lord to control the Apprentice. Since Dooku was turned rather than raised in the Sith, that further supports the idea that Anakin will kill him in Episode III. Even though Anakin wouldn't be raised in the Sith either, he definately has a greater potential for power.
 Vanor
05-17-2002, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by Perniciosus

I can see the point - it does seem more clunky, but it does fit with the style. While fencing swords are not bent, the manner in which one is held is consistant with the shape of the 'blade' of Dooku's saber. Theoretically, and this is just what I gather from reading the book and seeing it in action, the way it's constructed makes it easier to parry other lightsabers in a fencing style.

But the blade really isn't any different then any other lightsaber blade. And he doesn't use his saber in a rapier style fighting. He slashes and moves more or less like all other Jedi do.

And I've done a little fencing, the handles on foils are not bent, they're slightly different then a normal sword, but not bent like that. The book may say that, but it's not realisitc IMO... Not that what's realistic means much :)
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 4:50 PM
I misspoke: I didn't mean the 'shape' of the blade, rather, I meant that the "angle" of the blade was more fitting of a fencing style. Better for parrying..

However, to be honest, I imagine what happened was someone said to George: "Hey, I have this idea of making a curved lightsaber hilt".. and George said: "Hmm. Sure, why not." And hence the curved Dooku saber was born. :D
 HBK
05-17-2002, 7:47 PM
Originally posted by stretch522
Anyone else think that Vader/Aakin will kill Dooku in Ep3 to take his place at Sidious' side?
I agree. Just like Vadar and Luke fought for the place by the Emperors side, or so the Emperor thought.
 Kylilin
05-20-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Vanor adventualy all the sith race died out. [/B]

I thoght the Sith were wiped out by Exar Kun when he absorbed there lifeforces in a battle with several Jedi, but I could be wrong.
 xlXTaIXlx
05-20-2002, 4:21 PM
whats this idea of apprentice fighting master all the time
seriously,
Obi-wan fights Anakin
Yoda fights Count Dooku
crazy

oh yeah
the curved saber is foor form 2 fighting
it gives an edge against those who used straight hilts (straight hilts are meant to deflect bullets)

^that source is from the visual dictionary
Page: 1 of 1