Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Palpitine is one sneeky bastage

Page: 1 of 1
 Zealot888
05-16-2002, 3:35 PM
Why is it that Anikin's first solo mission was so close to Tatooine? Why did those sand people unexpectedly take his mom? Why did they keep her alive for so long? I believe Palpitine found out where his mom was, and hired those sand people to capture and detain her while putting her through pain for a month. He knew eventually Anakin would sense it and go to her. The whole event of Anakin's mom dieing was plotted by Palpitine to start to turn Anakin. Think about what some of the stuff Palpitine says to Anakin when they are alone. Such as when he told him that once he allows himself to behave any way he wants he will become invincible. Then remember later when Anakin is talking to Padme he says he will become indestructable or capable of keeping people from dying, or something like that. hmm.

"he's already begun to turn"
"everything is going as planned"

Remember how Yoda asked Anakin about his mom in Episode one? There was something more to that and Yoda isn't a foo. Anakin was afraid of losing his mom. "fear of losing her are you" -something like that "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate , hate leads to suffering."

"they're like animals, and I hate them" -Anakin after the sand people

Palpitine, Dooku working together, man that was a bad assupmtion on Yoda's part. Yoda said "always two there are, a master and an apprentice." But actually Dooku was working with Palpitine for ten years, meaning there was a time when maul, dooku, and palpitine were all working together.

Here's a prediction of mine. If Palpitine would use his mom just to start to turn Anakin, don't you think he would use Padme his now wife in secret and it's illegality of it to the jedis to turn him further. That might even be how Kenobi and Anakin end up fighting each other. Anywho, if he used his mom, he'll use her too. Damn, Palpatine is the man for having all of his enemies fight each other and ignore him. His role model must be Satan
 Hannibal
05-16-2002, 4:46 PM
Perhaps Sidious was smart enough to have Dooku working for him without him being a Sith. Maul died ten years before this movie. Dooku's training started ten years ago. Sidous used the fact that Dooku was a Jedi to build mistrust in the Jedi. I like how Lucas is showing the fall of th Republic and how Palpatine is basicly using everyone as puppets.
 nubby
05-17-2002, 6:32 AM
Damnit, thanks for giving some insight on that whole tusken raider scene. That was puzzling me for a bit.
 eastcoast2895
05-17-2002, 11:11 AM
did anyone notice in palpatine's chamber when palpatine was talking about evil or something that hinted at a sith lord, yoda turned his head and looked at him. do you think yoda thinks palpatine is the sith lord?
 Zaarin
05-17-2002, 11:42 AM
The jedi are curious because of Dooku's statement that the senate is under the control of a Sith - which is the supreme chancellor palpatine.
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Zealot888

Palpitine, Dooku working together, man that was a bad assupmtion on Yoda's part. Yoda said "always two there are, a master and an apprentice." But actually Dooku was working with Palpitine for ten years, meaning there was a time when maul, dooku, and palpitine were all working together.

Uh, no. Maul died at end of Ep I. That is when Dooku started working with Palpatine. He became the 2nd Sithlord AFTER maul died.
 Hoowl
05-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by eastcoast2895
did anyone notice in palpatine's chamber when palpatine was talking about evil or something that hinted at a sith lord, yoda turned his head and looked at him. do you think yoda thinks palpatine is the sith lord?

I think yoda know a lot more than he has let on. There were a few times in the film where he when the camera focused on his face when he was thinking. I think he suspects Palpatine and is worried about Anakins future.
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 4:46 PM
Originally posted by Zealot888
But actually Dooku was working with Palpitine for ten years, meaning there was a time when maul, dooku, and palpitine were all working together.

I don't fully understand why everyone believes this. Here's how I understand the timeline after seeing the movie twice and having read the novelization: Dooku becomes one of the Lost Twenty shortly after Qui-Gon was killed... Qui-Gon was killed in the same battle that killed Darth Maul. So this would mean that Dooku aligned himself with Palpatine shortly after the demise of Maul, left the Order (but not without erasing Kamino from the Jedi Archives first), and then 'recruits' Jango Fett to be the subject for the clone army. Hence, Palpatine didn't have Dooku as an apprentice at the same time as he had Darth Maul as an apprentice, rather, Dooku becomes the apprentice very shortly after Maul's demise.
 Mr Tim
05-18-2002, 4:01 AM
With the Sith:

Always two there are. No more, no less.

Or so says Yoda - I think we can trust him.
 MadCowRunner
05-18-2002, 4:28 AM
Darth Sidious is one hell of an evil guy, that's for sure. Between playing with Anakin's emotions in an attempt to turn him towards the dark side, tricking the simple-minded Senator Binks into introducing a bill to give "emergency control" of the Republic solely to himself, AND basically being in direct control of both the "grand army of the Republic" and the droid armies of the Confederacy, he's managed to kill off about half of the Jedi ranks. Pure brilliance.

I love this set-up: The army of clones, all descending on Confederate worlds... and think of what most of this Confederacy is: the Trade Federation, the League of Bankers, the Machinist guilds... Basically, all the cogs of industry in society! With no doubt, the clone armies will bury all opposition in the end, and Republic systems will undoubtably suffer greatly also. So when the war ends, all useful industry and business will be ruined, society will be in shambles, and the Jedi ranks will be a shadow of their former self...

The Republic is in ruins; it's now ripe for an Emperor... and an apprentice to finish the Jedi purge.

:emperor:
 Phaedout
05-18-2002, 4:36 AM
Or not really in ruins, but under Imperial control... Palapatine is starting this war to take over direct control of all industry, so there will be no stopping his eventual total control of the galaxy. But yes, Palapatine is a very sneaky bastat'd. My question is why doesnt the jedi council feel his dark presence? Is he truly that powerful??
 MadCowRunner
05-18-2002, 5:07 AM
Mace Windu did say that the Jedi Council was losing it's ability to sense the goings-on in the force. Palpentine is a career politician, I'm sure that Darth Sidious has been under their noses on Coriscant for long enough that they can't sense him nearby. That, and as Yoda says, the dark side is cloudy, true intentions can't bee seen easily.
 Verbatim
05-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Also remmber that Qui-Gon thinks that Anikin can bring balance to the Force (EPI) and Windo and Yoda state that they are weak with the Force (EP II) so its very possable they can't sense the dark side standing right next to them when the Dark Side is so clouded.
Page: 1 of 1