Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The voice from beyond the grave... a.k.a. Was Leam Neason <sp> in the credits?

Page: 1 of 1
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 2:34 PM
All die-hard fans will have heard Qui-Gon Jinn's exclamation Anakin, no!, after Anny slaughtered around a little bit. Did anybody see Leam Neason's name in the credits (maybe under special thanks?).
 spacelord
05-16-2002, 3:17 PM
went to www.imdb.com) and found nothing in the credits there
 IRG_GhostBear74
05-16-2002, 3:58 PM
which part was that?
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 4:25 PM
After Anakin killed the Tusken tribe, there was a cut to Yoda's face and we heard Qui-Gon Jinn screaming Anakin, no!.

(It could have been someone else, but I dare to doubt that the Tusken chief would scream: Anakin, no!)
 Hannibal
05-16-2002, 4:34 PM
It was Qui-Gon in the novelization.
 AKPiggott
05-16-2002, 5:09 PM
It sounded like they cut the "Anakin" out of the "Anakin, drop!" line in TPM... which was kinda cheap really.... plus I thought Jedi have to disappear when they die in order to become ghosts....
 JR_Incubus
05-16-2002, 7:36 PM
In ROTJ, when Anakin dies they burn his body (or it could be just his suit) like the did Qui-Gon and he's standing off to the side as a ghost with obiwan and yoda. So, I don't think you HAVE to fade away to become a ghost =\
 Natty
05-16-2002, 7:40 PM
I heard it too...I dunno who it was though :confused:
 Wossname
05-16-2002, 8:01 PM
What did it say about it in the novelization? It seemed to me to be just quotes from Episode 1, which implies Anakin remembering, rather than a Qui-Gonn ghost.

I also remember after Ep 1 came out, people were asking why Qui-Gonn didn't appear as a ghost at the end like other slain jedi have, and it was said (By who I don
 Wossname
05-16-2002, 8:06 PM
What did it say about it in the novelization? It seemed to me to be just quotes from Episode 1, which implies that it's just Anakin remembering, rather than a Qui-Gonn ghost.

I also remember after Ep 1 came out, people were asking why Qui-Gonn didn't appear as a ghost at the end like other slain jedi have, and it was said (By who I don't recall) that the reason would be revealed in the next one.

I was wondering if it had something to do with the imbalance in the force. It was quite interesting to learn that the jedi powers are not as strong as they once were. Anakin is supposed to restore balance to the force - if he does that before turning to the dark side (Or more likely, by the act of turning to the dark side itself), then it would explain why there are ghosts in the later movies.

Or maybe Qui-Gonn is a ghost, but can't fully manifest himself because of the imbalance in the force.
 Neon Vampyre
05-16-2002, 8:12 PM
It was regurgitated from one of two things: I couldn't make up my mind whether it was from the line "Anakin, DROP!" or When Qui-Gon tells Anakin to stay in the Naboo starfighter just before the duel. I'd probably put my money on the first instance! ;)
 Mr. Sleep
05-16-2002, 9:31 PM
I was reading the screenplay and it has Qui-Gon saying that. They might have left it on the editing room floor... or perhaps the sound guys got too carried away with the swish of the sabers.
 xen0rse
05-16-2002, 9:54 PM
Guys, remember, when Obi wan is killed he doesnt appear to be a ghost until the next movie, hes just a voice. Maybe well see qui gon in ep III.
 aieljafar
05-16-2002, 10:51 PM
My theory is that jedis who die in battle do not disappear. However, those who do not disappear. Obi stops fighting and disappears, Yoda simply disappears, while vader, qui gon, and the host of others that die in the gladitorial fight do not.

I figure that is the most rational solution for the disappearing idea.

However, Xenorse, to refute your idea, Anakin showed up as a spirit at the end of Jedi while his body was burning. So that really doesnt hold true.

Also, it can't be Anakin's memory for two reasons

1. Yoda hears it (BIG REASON!)

2. Qui Gon doesn't use the line Anakin, No in Ep 1
 GidionTheDead
05-16-2002, 11:27 PM
Taken from a Lucas quote at "TheForce.net":

All dead Jedi can reappear as ghosts, although those, who give up their mortal shell willingly can do this far more easy than the others.

The technique to give up the own body is tought to Obi by Yoda.
 Wheelchairboy
05-17-2002, 12:48 AM
spoiler.
it was yoda finally seeing the future again, the anakin, no was spoken by obi wan at the final battle. that is why yoda went to help them, he forsaw it in that vision, he made sure the clone armies were winning then he went to help obi and anakin. the anakin no was obi wan's voice.

hope that clears things up
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 1:07 AM
I know he said anakin no at the end but that voice was distictly liam neeson's for that part i'm sure of it.
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 7:07 AM
Originally posted by Wossname
What did it say about it in the novelization? It seemed to me to be just quotes from Episode 1, which implies that it's just Anakin remembering, rather than a Qui-Gonn ghost.

In the novel - and unfortunately the book is making its rounds right now so I can't quote it verbatim - it is said that as Anakin goes into his fit of rage, slaughtering Tuskens, Qui-Gon yells out "Anakin, no!" from beyond the grave...

Anakin, blinded by his rage, does not hear Master Qui-Gon, but a meditating Yoda senses it and is visibly shocked. This is the first time ever a Jedi had spoken from beyond the grave, as Jedi who die are to become one with the Force collectively, losing all individual identity.

It goes on for a paragraph or so in the book and while I was glad to hear the 'yelling from beyond the grave' in the movie, I was really hoping some of the small bits behind this startling post-death yell was left in.. it does, after all, set the precedent for Jedi ghosts because, as the book points out, a Jedi speaking from beyond the grave was not supposed to happen and, as far as Yoda knew, had never happened in the history of the Jedi.
 GamerStryfe
05-17-2002, 7:19 AM
Yeah, it was a fairly big deal in the book. I think the whole point was that Anakin was once again defying the laws of the Jedi, and there was always somewhere there to try to guide him...
 Verbatim
05-17-2002, 11:21 AM
Why isn't anyone talking about the fact that you can hear clearly hear Darth Vader’s “breathing” at the end of the "Anakin, no!"?
 AKPiggott
05-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JR_Incubus
In ROTJ, when Anakin dies they burn his body (or it could be just his suit) like the did Qui-Gon and he's standing off to the side as a ghost with obiwan and yoda. So, I don't think you HAVE to fade away to become a ghost =\

I read somewhere (I think it was StarWars.com) that Anakin's body faded away just after that shot where Luke bowed his head down. What we see being cremated was just the armour.
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 3:29 PM
It's still been confirmed they don't need to fade away it just makes it easier to become one with the force.

Oh and for all those who doubted it, That is Liam neesons voice nobody elses who say anakin no, they didn'T get someone else to say it for him.
Page: 1 of 1