Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sorry guys....another comp question

Page: 1 of 1
 Gaalgoth
05-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Ok, so I'm not buying it now, I'm waiting till after the summer, but I'm going to get a new graphics card. Best buy is selling a radeon 8500 with all the nifty geforce4 stuff for 99$.......but it's also 64mb rather than 128 mb. Here's my question: what does that extra 64 mb do? the 128 sells for like $100 or so more, so it's got to do something special.....
 setsuko
05-16-2002, 9:04 PM
RAM in a graphics card is very neat. Back in the old days, they didn't hardly exist, and now, they have more RAMs than most computers! Time flies...

Well, as I said, RAM in the graphics card is very neat. Because otherwise, it has to relocate all it does to the RAM on the computer to work. As you might imagine, having those RAM right on the graphics card means less unnecessary communication, which means that the graphics runs faster, or "smoother".

The more RAM the card has access to, the more processes can be done at the same time. Thereby, having a fast processor won't help if you don't have enough RAM to do those processes with.

Sum:

RAM is sweet.
RAM in the card itself is sweeter. The more, the merrier.
 Gaalgoth
05-16-2002, 9:17 PM
Ok, so if I'm getting a new computer next summer should i shell out the extra money to get a new card with high ram this fall?
 setsuko
05-16-2002, 9:23 PM
There is no "real" thing when it comes to things as these. It all comes down to the prices at the time, and what else you can get for your bucks by then. For instance, hard RAM prizes are like rollercoasters! Keep cool, and set a max amount of money you will pay for your computer. Then start with the necessary things (monitor, chassi, cablage and such), and then see how much bang for your bucks you can get.

And yes. You MUST make a custom computer if you want to get your money's worth. Premade computers ALWAYS have too little RAM, and costs heap more than you pay if you build it yourself. It's not that hard to do that, but speak with someone who knows hardware before trying, for instance what kinds of RAM fits with your motherboard and such.

Don't let Compac steal your money! Build it yourself! :)
 Gaalgoth
05-16-2002, 9:59 PM
Haha no no no......When I get a new comp next summer it's a graduation present and my folks are buying it for me. This fall I'm getting a new card to replace my old 32 mb geforce2. I was just wondering if it was worth spending the extra money on a 128 mb geforce 4 when I can get a 64 mb for much cheaper.
 setsuko
05-17-2002, 10:06 AM
Then you must think:

"how much is faster and smoother graphics worth for me?"

Because doubling the RAM will make a difference. For some persons, that difference is worth $100, while some would rather put that money into something else. It all comes down to how much you drool when you hear the magic words 'frames per second'.

Personally, I am doing fine with my RADEON 64mb. But that's me.
 MikeC
05-17-2002, 1:43 PM
Well, I just ordered 256 MB of RAM to upgrade my computer. I've only got 128 right now so I'm tripling the RAM on my computer for only $150. Next I plan to buy a Geforce 4, probably early next week and then install them at the same time.

:D :D :D
 Koffin
05-30-2002, 4:41 AM
honestly, I'd wait as long as I could....
then shell out money for the G Force 4 128 after the prices drop a little.
Radeon is good, but Ive always had problems with games running the Q3 engine. It might be particular to my com rather than Radeon, but....

Radeon 8500 is compared to a G Force 3 as far as capability.

Id save up, wait as long as you can.....buy yourself the latest card technology of that time, or just pay pretty decent prices for the latest technology now.

Did that make sense?

Let me rephrase:
G Force 4 is only going to get cheaper over time....the patient one will prosper.
Radeon 8500 is a great card, now....but will quickly be outdated by all the 128mb cards.
 Wraith 8
05-30-2002, 4:45 AM
my dada is getting me a great comp.

and these are just some things:

pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
80GB hard disk
512 MB RAM
Geforce 4 128

i have the feeling i will be able to play SWG with this one :D
plus i have ADSL as internet connection.. i think things are starting to go better :D
 Koffin
05-31-2002, 4:18 AM
Originally posted by Wraith 8
my dada is getting me a great comp.

and these are just some things:

pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
80GB hard disk
512 MB RAM
Geforce 4 128

i have the feeling i will be able to play SWG with this one :D
plus i have ADSL as internet connection.. i think things are starting to go better :D

If he hasn't all ready gotten it, make sure it can take DDR ram. You wont believe the difference!
 Wraith 8
06-03-2002, 8:35 AM
damn.,.. i only read your post today.... he already ordered it :(..oh well.. i think this will work aswell dont you think :D
Page: 1 of 1