Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Thief

Page: 1 of 1
 Saiyan22
05-15-2002, 3:40 PM
I know i saw a list of current possible occupations somewhere...but i can't find it know...

Is there a pick-pocket/theif occupation? That might seem pretty fun. Waundering through cities/towns, trying your luck, bumping into people, then running for cover before they notice.
If the person you stole from had the stolen item insured, then they could get it back from the insurance company (not the exact same item, the theif could keep theirs)

although in the case of lightsaber, the jedi will probably have to make another, sinse the ones that they make best suit them. It's probably harder to steal from jedi's anyways, but you probably wont know they are jedi's till you get your arm cut off from their lightsaber ;)

oh, and if anyone knows that link, can you post it, the site with the list of known confirmed occupations/carreers

thanks
 Jan Gaarni
05-15-2002, 4:32 PM
I don't know.

But I can tell you this. Try to steal from a Jedi, and you might aswell shot yourself. The result would be the same. :D
 Zendjir
05-15-2002, 5:11 PM
I don't think you can steal insured items, because that would mean that a duplicate of that item would have to be created. And thats a big exploit; ''you steal my lightsaber from me a 100 times, and I'll give you half of the profit when I sell it, ok?''

Things like that.

And stealing from a jedi...I don't think that's possible, they can feel the living force...so they will feel your hand slipping in their pockets. :)
 setsuko
05-15-2002, 6:48 PM
Stealing from PCs are, by all means, a very bad idea for the devs to implement, since it means making one player have Fun[TM] at the cost of another player, who has no choice in the matter (unlike PvP, that is a choice you make by joining one side).

BUT!

Stealing from NPC, that is a totally different issue, since you have Fun[TM] at the cost of a pieces of kilobytes on the server. However, be prepared to get arrested, and perhaps even banned, if caught.

Sum up:
It is not propable that you will be able to steal from PCs. There is a chance that the devs will let you steal from NPCs. But I guess it will be risky.
 Ascari
05-15-2002, 8:42 PM
I believe u could be a spy, and sneak in imperials/rebels/hutts places and steal things :)
 setsuko
05-15-2002, 8:48 PM
Hmmm... yes, after all, a city must have some sort of collected wealth from taxes and donations (for payment for workers, maintaing and other such things). If these are stored somewhere (think city hall), it might be possible to steal this wealth. I'd guess then a high priority for a community would be to either have someone guarding it, or to manufacture a safe for it. And on the thieving bit, I guess for an opposed roll on such things, that is, the thiefs skill vs the quality of the lock. That would make for a niche for high quality locksmiths!
 MikeC
05-15-2002, 11:51 PM
I think they said steeling is out. I'm not totally sure about that though.
 Gaalgoth
05-16-2002, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I think mike's right. I think the devs said they felt that fell under the same category as slavery....something they didn't want to have associated with SWG because it had no primary need to be in the game and was against the message they were trying to give out or something. It would be awesome though, and it still may be in.
 Rommel
05-16-2002, 9:49 AM
Hmm I actually believe that stealing has a place in any game, look at UO, it has thieves and it works well, just a matter of knowing how to keep your stuff safe. But on the other hand the newbie who buys his first house deed and has it stolen from his pouch, well thats not very kosher either.

The jedi thing, well maybe a master or jedi knight or very advanced padawan could sense, but hey nobody is perfect.

Another way to look at it is a smuggler IS a thief in a way, so they sort of already included it, I also think that a slicer will have the option to try to steal from banks and whatnot.

Rommel
designer
manufacturer
meglomaniac
rich bastard

:naughty:
"hey kid, wanna buy a blaster?"
 OHeadHunterO
05-16-2002, 3:04 PM
Ya tyically Thief type classes start out decent enough but eventually get nerfed because someone finds and exploit and goes crazy with it...I dont remember reading about theives though in SWG assasins etc....typically..you make more money killing monsters for cash then stealing so its kind of a moot point typically..and I dont see them allowing you to steal from players. Thief class is a hard one for the devs...

http://members.fortunecity.com/osaxono/images/banner1.gif)
BOUNTY HUNTERS GUILD (http://www.users.qwest.net/~auldridges/), HEADHUNTER GOTYA, GUILD PRESIDENT
 Zendjir
05-16-2002, 6:58 PM
Yeah I agree thieves will be hard to implement, but that's what the beta's are for right? And its not entirely sure that you will get more money from killing monsters than from stealing, I think all classes stand an even chance when played equally good.
 Lord Helmet
05-16-2002, 9:44 PM
monesters have money?
 Gaalgoth
05-16-2002, 9:56 PM
Some probably do. And those that don't will have goods you can sell for money.
 Lord Helmet
05-16-2002, 10:07 PM
thats stupid...never heard of one of those dragons carrying a blaster on it or 20 credits in change..if they want to make raelistic dont have that
 Gaalgoth
05-16-2002, 10:27 PM
No not like that. And not all will have things. More like killing a rancor you can get rancor skin. stuff like that i'm guessing.
 Lord Helmet
05-16-2002, 10:42 PM
wouldn't you need taxidermis skills lol...or animal skills to skin the animal? shouldn't come free...
 Saiyan22
05-17-2002, 12:44 AM
here is that list of professions i was talking about:
pretty insightful
http://swg-de.emr.net/g2.php)
Page: 1 of 1