Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

what will the Naboo be unique for in the Xpack?

Page: 1 of 1
 MBS
05-11-2002, 4:31 PM
in regular GB they had a good navy great air, and great jedi. In the Xpack, the Rebels are almost the undisputed rulers of the skies and the Republic have almost the undisputed best jedi. So what will happen to the Naboo?
 Compa_Mighty
05-11-2002, 4:53 PM
I think there'll be a better balance.
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-11-2002, 5:40 PM
Hmmm interesting question.
 Treacherous Mercenary
05-12-2002, 12:02 AM
If I remember right, they have good defenses aswell. At least for the fortress that increases hit points for an upgrade. I think anyway.... That is a good question though. Sooner or later, time vill tell.
 Gaming Nut
05-12-2002, 12:12 AM
They will be uqinue in that their the only race that turly sucks :p .

That acutlly not a total joke they never where that good rebels and empire both had jedi rearly as good and rebel had air that was basily if not totaly equal to naboo. And they both had other things that gave them an edge. The naboos main thing will be to fund other races in battle and to look cool.
 fido4fox
05-13-2002, 7:02 PM
I am a Royal Naboo junkie and I think that they will still be able to hold their own. They come up short on a few of the upgrades, esp the mech upgrades, but they game will still be balanced out and the Naboo will still rule the waves.

Plus, how can they be the one race to truly sucks when thye have the Gungans to compete with for that category.

Fido

:dtrooper:
 MBS
05-13-2002, 11:33 PM
the Naboo will still rule the waves.
true, the Naboo are dangerous on water maps as i found out the only time i played a 1v1 against a royal naboo......

I was the Rebels and it was set to random map, the forced deployment was drawn. Im not used to water maps so i didnt have the build speed that i normally have. Soon as i start to go to T4 he attacks me with Cruisers (errr the GB equivalant to Cannon Gallions). Lucally i had build alot of command centers and spread out the best i could on my island. Also i had a base on the mainland which he had yet to discover so that was my ace in the hole. (had i not have had that i would have been doomed). I manage to delay his destruction of my main base long enough to use my expansion long enough to get fully upgraded xwings (i should have gotten y-wings instead but im still got some newbie left in me and i didnt have the resources). I proceid to to start blowing up his navy then out of the blue my computer freezes up on me. I was so mad i wanted to break somehting. I still wonder how that match would have turned out. I wont lie though for me to win it would have been an up hill battle.
 jeffdark
05-14-2002, 12:05 AM
they will have a holocron nova upgrade thing, andd i think they get to be even faster at nova gathering. I agree, their mechs/hvy weapons and troopers suck horribly..
 Gaming Nut
05-15-2002, 2:03 PM
Tarde fed and gungans match them on water maps. And they both get good upagrdes on the land too. Gungans mechs and troopers are among the best in the game. and trade fed has great mechs and heavy weapons.

Now naboo lets see aside from planes that die in 2 shots from a 40 food 30 carbon AA trooper they got boats. Gungan subs sink you slow ass curisers and trade fed just slugs it out. rebels fly in their supioer sir force and crush you. While empire us cannons assualt mechs and their decent navy to ward you off. Also I can't wait to watch an air cursier rip up your AA destroyers ot lure them into a death trap of turrets.

So you suck on land and your sea and air are conutered easily at his base or in the open with right units dosen't look good for you quite frankly.
 fido4fox
05-15-2002, 2:13 PM
Well you are right about the weakness o the air units, but I still dont concede you that point. All air units die quickly from AA troops, no matter who you use. Plus the Naboo at least get shielded air units. The Empire doesnt and if I am not mistaken, the TF doesnt either.

Now the gungans have good units, but I slay them each time I fight them, easily I might add. Using a about 5 frigates and a few destroyers, I defeat gungans all the time.

The TF ships are strong, but they dont stand up to much abuse from a superior force, as is always the case. Most of the time, the computer or another player will withdraw their forces.

Now where the Naboo have issues is their lack of upgrades on mechs and heavy weapons, but I have conceded that point I believe.

Fido

Gungans,

huh, I just dont see the need.
 Gaming Nut
05-15-2002, 4:02 PM
I’m not sure what game your playing but the gungans and trade fed has all the same upgrades and ships as the naboo. There a perfect match it comes down to the guy in command. And if you beat a gungan player easily with Naboo he was a NooB or just plain sucked.

Shields don't help that much air and Jedi by and large sucks and any civ that relies too much on them also sucks. Rebels just get by having great troopers and decent mechs. Naboo has no saving graces its mech and troops suck and Jedi are waste of a unit if he has 1 group of 10 bounty hunters. A few turrets in his base and he can laugh at air attack. 20 AA troopers and good-bye air attack on route to smash your utterly pathetic ground forces.
 Crazy_dog no.3
05-15-2002, 4:49 PM
The Naboo are the 2nd worse race, after TF.
 Dvlos
05-15-2002, 9:04 PM
arent jedi more powerful and cheaper all around in the xpac making jedis not totally useless??????

Wouldnt that make Naboo the 2nd strongest jedi race in the game... stronger than pre-xpac?
 Compa_Mighty
05-15-2002, 10:54 PM
I think so.
 Treacherous Mercenary
05-16-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Crazy_dog no.3
The Naboo are the 2nd worse race, after TF.

The TF are not that bad. At least they have good mechs and Sea units. Troopers, well. They are not so great with them because they don't require shelters, so.... Naboo needs to have batter troops or mechs....
 Gaming Nut
05-16-2002, 10:54 AM
tadre fed can atleast put up a fight on land after tech 3 unlike the Naboo Naboo are hands down the worst.

Won't matter short of giving masters as much health as heros and a 20 attack which I can't see them doing. They will still die on mass as bonuty hunters shot them from behind a wall if you somehow manage to beat his feild army.
 fido4fox
05-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Since you have bad mouthed just about every civ out there, which do you use? You have trashed just about every civ except those in the xpac, the wookies, and the empire.

Just curious,

Fido
 duder
05-16-2002, 1:08 PM
Naboo have the best cannons, best bounty hunters (use infantry up until t4, then use bounty hunters as your infantry). Their unique unit can take a lot of punishment, and their Jedi and Air is the best in the game.

I would argue that Trade Fed are the worst civ, because of the carbon penalty. All the other civs are balanced IMO.
 fido4fox
05-16-2002, 1:11 PM
Oh yeah, and what duder said as well!

Fido
 Gaming Nut
05-16-2002, 1:50 PM
I like the empire best they look real cool to me atleast and they got good bouns all around.

heh bonuty hunters they can just barely beat a reapter trooper who has no hit piont upgarde. But he cost 3 times as much. he also has less range and armor then troopers.

Air not a factor great heavy weapons=great Anti aircraft.

jedi not a factor bonuty hunters=dead jedi hell Destroyer driods can take them of they have numbers edge.

And thats another thing unlike most civs where the unipe unit is tacked on and not usally used alot the tadre feds is used a ton. Destroyer driods can beat the **** out of bonuty hunters and royal cursaders and most of the other woefully underpowered units.
 duder
05-16-2002, 2:29 PM
Try massing ten Naboo bountyhunters (which are better than any others, and cheaper) against ten fully upgraded repeaters. The naboo bountyhunters will win.

I agree Jedi aren't that effective, but they do have their uses, conversions, killing infantry etc.

Air is badly used by many in this game. The Naboo's aircraft are built faster and can quite easily knock out AA with the help of some ground force (bounty hunters, strike mechs, crusaders, cannons)

Again I add that the Naboos cannons and bounty hunters are the best in the game. Naboo need advanced tactics, but if you can master them they are possibly the best civ. Watch some of the experts play with them, there are some good recorded games at mr fixit. YOu will learn how powerful the Naboo can be!
 Gaming Nut
05-16-2002, 2:37 PM
Sorry I must shot down you 10 bonuty vs 10 reapters you right the bonuty hunters woulds win with like 6 of them dead. But you totaly disconut cost even with 10% cheaper I could feild like 25 Repaters for the 10 bonuty hunters which will then quickly proceed to die.

Lkie I said air sucks period naboo can't take out AA easily at all their ground forces will be rotting corpses long before they reach the AA to take it out. You also talk about how your ground army will support your air yet you don't mention the fact that the enemies army will be much tougher. And may even eb sheilded (gungans).

Cannons suck when all the stuff backing them up is badly outclassed which you can't say most of the Naboo army isn't.
 duder
05-16-2002, 2:42 PM
I recommend you go and watch an expert game at mr fixit online. The general concensus of opinion is that The Naboo are the best civ.
 Gaming Nut
05-16-2002, 2:57 PM
I've siad this many times and will say it again it shoudln't take an expert player to win with a side. If it dose then that side is unbaclned and weak. It takes an expert to win with naboo you yourself admit that. That Right away is proof that it's the skill of the player not the side that winning those games a palyer that can win alot with Naboo would be god like with rebels or empire.

P.S. I have watched some and still hold that empire, rebels, or gungans would have fared just as well if not better then naboo. Sometimes what top players think dosen't matter this is such a case 90% of players belive Naboo is weak and at disavnatage with some expert that could own with any race saying their fine as is.
 duder
05-16-2002, 8:37 PM
Like I said before, The Naboo require advanced tactics, and if you can master those they are a formidable civ to play. I would agree that for a beginner The Naboo are a poor choice. Once you have mastered the tactics of the different civs you begin to play with different strategies. The majority of experts (who obviously have mastered the game) seem to go with the Naboo.

You can say what you like about experts, but perhaps they have explored the game furthur than you.

So 90% say Naboo are weak, should the other 10% that say they aren't, not voice their opinion?

The games I would recommend to you are games between experts. Watching a game when someone is easily outclassed by their opponent doesn't indicate the strengths and weaknesses of a civ.
 Treacherous Mercenary
05-16-2002, 9:01 PM
Also, if we had more players for the game, then maybe it would be good to see what's used and such.
 Gaming Nut
05-17-2002, 7:22 AM
Like I said a civ should work as well in the hands of novice on another novie then in the hands of an expert on another expert and naboo don't IMO. So their weak you also must note that msot palyers never will get to the eilte level and and so Naboo will always suck for them. I would also be willing to bet like me in some games that some of them take the weaker civs guns what have you to get a bigger challnage.
 duder
05-17-2002, 8:33 AM
Your argument doesn't hold weight. If two equally matched newbies play each other using all the various civs, you are likely to find that the Trade Fed are the most powerful and the Naboo are the weakest.

On the opposite end of the scale experts would find it the other way around. Trade Fed being the weakest and The Naboo being the most powerful.

Looking at it objectively different civs suit different levels of skill. It's easy to mass Droidekas and dominate, but it requires more skill to build a balanced army that is near unbeatable.
 fido4fox
05-17-2002, 12:43 PM
I couldnt agree more Duder!!

I have been playing these type games since they came out and I get bored when I play a side that has all the upgrades or better upgrades and can easily dominate the board.

If I want to roll over someone I play the empire. But if I want a challenge, I play the Naboo. Their air is not as strong (niether is the Empire's IMO), but with the help of a few troopers and mounties they do well in handling anti air assets.

Their Jedi are great anti troop center units and a small group of masters can infiltrate an enemy base and convert a few buildings before being discovered, or at least thats what I do.

Their cannons are formidable, as well as the crusaders which, by the way Gaming Nut, I have sent up against Droidekas and won, on even numbers, even when both are upgraded.

So you see Gaming Nut, this game isnt only for novices and newbies. It has facets for the expirienced player as well. And if you dont want to play the naboo, then dont choose them. But using them, I have defeated every single civ, minus the two news ones, and I take great pleasure in defeating gungan units as often as I can!!! :D

Also, I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying half the time. Can you try checking your spelling and punctuation, just so that I know what you are saying!!

Fido
 Gaming Nut
05-17-2002, 6:45 PM
I already said some guy might use them for the challnage. thou thats a silly reason IMO but to each his own.

If the AA was out in the open and alone I gusse a few troopers and some monuties would be able take them out.

has it ocuured to you that a player could just as easily build a balacned army of more powerful units as the empire or rebels you don't seem to get that hes going to use a combined arms army too. And that the units in that amry are stongetr then yours.

The only way your bonutys beat an equl number of destroyer driods is he walked past your guys and let them pot shot the destroyer Driods for about 3 volleys even then once he satrted fighting it would be a pretty close fight. That or the driods had few if any upgardes.

Pff melee their just barely usful on assualt mechs that are ungaruded or pummel drops their untter crap on anything eles. Royal cursaders can last longer then most but still die on mass when facing ranged units. I've seen them in action and their not that impressive. Jedi can be slightly usful as their invisable and have gotten beefed up in the X-Pack still Their a one trick pony most of the time. You attack he say hey look jedi kills them with some losses and then has 6 to 10 bonuty hunters ready and wiating if you try it again.

I hold that a player of euqal skill using a combined army will bea thr naboo more often then not.
 RequiesAeterna
05-18-2002, 12:25 AM
Hmmm, not sure what will happen in the expansion, as I don't have it yet. As of now, Naboo is NOT considered the best race in the game pre-xpac. Only one person I know thinks this, and that's Pomp, who has a weird way of looking at things :p. Also, you have to take into consideration what is the best race during EACH tech. Naboo's about average in t1 and t2, among the best in t3, ok in t4, and sucks in post-t4.

If used CORRECTLY, Naboo can compete well with the other races in post-t4. But since hardly anyone does use them that well, the point is moot. So, I can understand why some players don't like to use them.

Req
 Treacherous Mercenary
05-18-2002, 4:14 AM
Just played one game with Naboo and must say that it does take skill afterall. I did manage to win though. The thing is, you can use the units such as artillary with some of the upgrades and win. If if the units are somewhat weak, upgrades help.....
 Gaming Nut
05-18-2002, 1:25 PM
You could have done the same thing wasier by using the trade fed adn heavy atrillry.
 polaris_crd
05-24-2002, 6:11 PM
I enjoy playing the different civs and I've learned that each civ takes a different approach to truely master. Naboo don't suck. They get huge nova bonuses plus they get an upgrade at tech 4 called "Taxation" which makes all units cheaper to build. I find that I can mass more units with Naboo. It's a huge bonus when you get both cheaper units and Nova bonuses. Yeah, the units are weaker but there is strength in numbers. Good Naboo players will support their ground forces with air, which happens to be strong. Naboo air is as good as the rebel's air. Not only that but Naboo have faster air units.
Page: 1 of 1