Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Utter Craziness

Page: 1 of 1
 Gaalgoth
05-08-2002, 5:23 PM
Is it just me or has the computer industry gone crazy after they breached the 1 ghz mark? I mean my god...three years ago when I got my 700 Athalon it was considered big. computers had been out for almost ten years and they had just recently made a 700. Now they're up to 2.53 ghz processors and 2 gigs of ram. That's in three years! It's crazy! That's more than a threefold increase in processing power over my computer. simply unbelievable. Probably by Christmas when I get a new one they'll be up to at least 3 ghz. One question though, does anyone know if a pentium 5 is in development?
 setsuko
05-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Its a simple phenomenon. If noone buys new hardware, the hardware suppliers gets sad. And the game developers wants people to notice their new games. The easiest way to make people notice is to have better graphics and physics. Thus, they cooperate. New games require better hardware, and when people buy new hardware, they expect better graphics. Thus, an evil spiral is maintained. Most people 'in the industry' expect it to slow down somewhere when you can attain real photorealistic real time rendering, since then you will not notice the difference of some 1k RAM as much as you do know. But until then... its a free-for-all mad capitalistic race! :D
 Gaalgoth
05-12-2002, 11:52 PM
That's it exactly....Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain. I'm getting a new comp a little ways down the road...the more teh build, the faster the comp Ill have. God bless graduation presents.
Page: 1 of 1