Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

And When A Jedi Dies?

Page: 1 of 1
 AncientDesann
05-07-2002, 10:59 PM
You're a Jedi. You've spent months before you finally were able to become force sensitive, and follow the correct path. You've learned many force powers, even built your own lightsaber.

You're then killed by a group of Bounty Hunters.

Does this mean you lose all your force powers, your lightsaber, etc? If so, maybe becoming a Jedi won't be terribly hard, but STAYING a Jedi would definately be challenging. And if not, then what would be the point in killing a Jedi at all? They'd simply "respawn", or whatever the term is, still with everything they've earned.

I wonder how that'll all work out...
 arguile
05-07-2002, 11:06 PM
i doubt if you would be able to lose stuff you spent so much time getting, in a such a short amount of time. if the developers were willing to let you lose months of hard work so quick, they probably would have gone ahead and made death permanent too.
 MikeC
05-07-2002, 11:18 PM
Nobody knows. The devs have been very tight liped about both death and Jedi in general.
 Xirion
05-08-2002, 1:09 AM
i think you would just lose your sabre cos some bugger will pinch it
 Kiyamon
05-08-2002, 1:18 AM
Well,

You are describing a pretty powerful Jedi.

You're a Jedi. You've spent months before you finally were able to become force sensitive, and follow the correct path. You've learned many force powers, even built your own lightsaber.

You will actually have a great advantage in battle if you are a Jedi, unless you are attacked by a group of Boba Fett level bounty hunters I believe you will stand a chance or at least be able to use your Jedi powers in order to be able to retreat (mind trick anyone). But I doubt that you will loose your force sensitivity because you got killed, especially b/c you are describing a well developed Jedi. Right now we do not know exactly how being a Jedi or staying force sensitive works, but I doubt they will take everything if you get killed... probably just some skill point that you can earn back at a later time.

Kiyamon - Minister of Diplomatic Relations
Trinity Republic (http://www.Trinitypa.com)
Contact Me (diplomacy@trinitypa.com)
 Rommel
05-08-2002, 7:18 AM
Hmm,

Ok here's what I think will happen to any class of being, be it jedi or not.

I think your stuff will remain where you died. This you must retrieve, I believe there will be a limit on the number of times you can die trying to retrieve your "stuff" but I don't think you will loose any items from dying. What I do think will happen is that you will loose a significant amount of skill. After all with the option of being a PvP'er being just that, an option, the consequences must be as harsh and the choice is rewarding.

Of course there might be some differences here, you might loose any money you had on you, or other penalties, but overall this is my guess at what happens when you die.

With as many people going to be bounty hunters, and those folks all wanting a jedi's hide, well dying will be a large part of being a jedi i think!

PLUS!!! With the huge amounts of blasters and such that everyone will be buying from my venders, well anyone that wants to take a pot shot at a jedi certainly will have the means to do it!
MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Rommel,

Designer
Manufacturer
Meglomaniac
Rich Bastard
 Gaalgoth
05-08-2002, 5:10 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling death will be similar to Diablo 2. Your stuff will remain, or end up in town, or whatever......You'll definitly lose some experience and stuff, but I think that if you can lose stuff you would have to set that as an option. I know that if I were a Jedi or a bounty hunter and had a saber or heavily modified blaster that I lost cause of lag or being ambushed I would be royally pissed and would raise hell. Because of this hell raising factor, I can't imagine Lucas Arts forcing us to lose our stuff. It would be a customer service nightmare.
 MikeC
05-08-2002, 8:38 PM
Rommel, if you were correct they wouldn't have the insurance system for items. We know that will be in the game so there must be a way for you to loose stuff.
 arguile
05-08-2002, 8:50 PM
when you die you lose skill? that sucks! that shouldnt be there, you lose enough when you die anyway. not only will you lose time (whch is essentially the same as skill if you think about it), but you might not even get any of your stuff back (that wasnt insured of course). losing skill just wastes time and causes a lot of frustration. i think someone that dies should be revived with one of those wound things that makes their health stay down until they get a healer to help em out. dying is a pain in itself, and jedi are gonna die the most so if they lost skill, they would never become powerful enough to defend themselves because theyd keep losin all their skills when some bounty hunter group sees a nice catch, which makes it all the more frustrating. i think if you got killed in a lightsaber fight with vader or boba fett, you should get more skill if anything from that experience.
 MikeC
05-08-2002, 8:52 PM
Remember that this is all just speculation. We have no solid information on what happens at death.
 arguile
05-08-2002, 9:13 PM
...uh...yeah...i meant...that would...suck...yeah...

yeah i got ya.

i have to go ahead and disagree with the idea of a skill loss at death though. thats just a double punishment and more of a headache than anything else. its not like itll be all that difficult to get the skills back, and time isnt really a problem for me, but a lot of my friends have the attention spans of two year olds. if they had to go back and redo a whole lot theyd toss the computer moniter through a window, and id have no one to play with. so i say "no" to skill loss.
 Lord Helmet
05-09-2002, 9:02 AM
doy uo mean when you say skill loss is that you would learn certain skills or attributes?
 Ascari
05-10-2002, 9:26 AM
Why do u always think bounty hunters will kill everyone?

Maybe they will carbonize u :)

Now that would totally suck :)

hanging on a wall in Jaba's palace.
 MikeC
05-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Because you can't play a character that's stuck on Jabba's wall. They would loose business when people get pissed off and quit.
 Kiyamon
05-10-2002, 2:37 PM
From what I have read, I do not think they are going to make you look up your body. First of all if you are killed in the middle of a large battle between 2 PA's you will not be able to enter that zone until it is over. Also doing that promotes PK'ing in order to steal somebody's cool weapon, which is something the Devs are trying to avoid.

Kiyamon - Minister of Diplomatic Relations
Trinity Republic (http://www.trinitypa.com)
Email me (diplomacy@trinitypa.com)
Page: 1 of 1