Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

ima star wars junkie....how bout you??

Page: 1 of 1
 Jedi_4
06-25-2001, 4:36 PM
hi! *...i havent been here in SO long...*

anyway, it seems i need some help on a little article/essay im writing about star wars...so i thought this forum would be the best.
Well, the question of the article is what really got you hooked on star wars. i mean, sure, theres SoMeThInG about star wars, but WhAt? was it those awesome Jedi battles? Was it the whole philosophical idea of the Force? or were ya just a sci fi person to begin with? i need reasons... =)!
For me, i dont really know. Ive liked star wars since i was a little kid...dunno why though...
anyway ...thanks. cant wait fer the respones. C-ya, -Jedi4
 Boba Rhett
06-25-2001, 11:11 PM
I guess for me it was the whole concept. Lightsabers, good versus evil, the force, far off galaxies, the details that went into creating a different universe that is capable of totally engrossing you. It doesn't get much better then that.
 obi
06-26-2001, 12:08 PM
i rented shadows of the empire a long time ago, and got confused. so i watched return of the jedi. then that was good, so i rented a new hope, then empire strikes back.

i bought the entire trilogy, and then started playing the games. i have every star wars game made for playstation, N64, and dream cast, and 2 for atari,and 5 for computer.

iliked these games, so i started watching the movies over and over, so i can now quote every one of them.

i got the internet, then started looking up nothing but star wars 3 years ago. i found this site last year, and signed up.

thats how i am today. i almost know every thing about star wars
 Pedro The Hutt
06-26-2001, 12:21 PM
Dreamcast eh... I've got one question for you..... got PSO? :D ;)
 StormHammer
06-26-2001, 8:23 PM
Well, the question of the article is what really got you hooked on star wars. i mean, sure, theres SoMeThInG about star wars, but WhAt? was it those awesome Jedi battles? Was it the whole philosophical idea of the Force? or were ya just a sci fi person to begin with? i need reasons...

That's a really tough question. ;)

I suppose I'm lucky because I was 10 when Star Wars was first released, and I actually got to see it at the cinema on a nice big screen in 1978 (we moved house in 1977 so I didn't see it straight away).

I'd say I was hooked from the very first frames of the film, when you see this huge Star Destroyer appear, shooting at the smaller ship. It was action from the start, and didn't stop. Everything just seemed to click into place: the way the ships moved, the guns fired, the robots acted. It just felt right, in spite of the fact that much of it flew in the face of real science.

It was a pulp SF comic come to life, with all the classic elements dressed up in a new format. There was just the right mix of action, humour, romance, drama, all taking place in a gritty lived-in universe. It wasn't about exploration, or high-brow science like some of the other SF films that came before it, nor was it cheesy, or badly acted - again, like some that came before it.

Star Wars was a roller-coaster ride through another universe, which did not try to explain what it was. It simply asked you to sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasted, and for many it did not last long enough (hence the multiple viewings and the sequels).

Star Wars basically gave us what many had been waiting for - an intelligent action movie taking place in space, filled with believable aliens, ships, weapons, robots, and borrowing ideas from across the genre.

It also packed a considerable visual/aural punch, and basically redefined SF on the big screen.

So I cannot say there is any one particular thing that draws me to Star Wars. Watching it is simply an experience, so I'll leave it at that. ;)

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]
 Garindan
06-26-2001, 8:39 PM
i got hooked when my mom brought return of the jedi home from the library, not a book, the video, i watched it and was like 'COOL!!!' i liked the good vs. evil in it, and the ship battles, the music, and the planets the characters are on. after that i bought a micro machines death star, the smaller one with the small exploding piece. I then begged my friend to let me borrow his esb movie (for some reason he never liked to let me rent his movies), and i liked that one even more. A few months or weeks later i borrowed the whole trilogy from someone else, and i really enjoyed it. I then bought the micro machines stormtrooper helmet/deathstar playset. Then a year or 2 later my friend got tie fighter for his computer, and i always wanted to play it. Then when we moved to florida, i bought the tie fighter, atat, and snowspeeder (esb micromachines mini pack) set, and that christmas i got from my sister luke skywalker's desert sport skiff. Then on my birthday (a month later i think) i rented super star wars, and that was pretty fun.
I think i also bought dagobah micro machines playset a few months later.
Then i went to see the star wars special edition the second day it was out. We got a computer the next year, which was the 486. Then we moved, and that christmas i got The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition, Boba Fett Deluxe, darth vader t shirt, and i think that's all out of sw stuff. Around the next halloween i got my very first star wars game: Rebel Assault. And all my sw collection builds up rapidly from there.
 Tie Guy
06-26-2001, 10:36 PM
Well, i'm not that old so the first time that i saw the movies was when i got the special edition trilogy for my birthday. They had just came out and i watched them almost every night. I started bying games from there, my first was Tie Fighter, and then Dark Forces. These were great i got hooked on them and never stopped. I have just about every Star Wars PC game and a bunch for PSX.

I guess that the thing that intrests me the most about Star Wars is that it isn't real life, it is true Sci-Fi. It is all things that are in it are things that a i wish i could do, but never will. Things like: Shooting lasers, dogfighting in space, being a Jedi, and traveling to another worls. It was something totally different, and totally amazing, especially to a 10 year old.
 JediMasterHorn
06-27-2001, 2:04 AM
Well, i was raised on Star Wars. My parents saw ANH on their first date. My first movie in a theatre was ROTJ. We have always owned the trilogy, on both pan-n-scan and laserdisk. I read Heir to the Empire when it first came out, and have been following the novels since.

When i became a Chrsitian, I fell in love with Satr Wars even more. The philosophical/religious overtones are something I can really relate to. I especially liked I, Jedi. I felt i could really relate with Corran. Hence, the reason I have this screen name. :)
 ESE_Sithlord
06-27-2001, 2:59 AM
When I was a Youngster back in the day I always used to watch the oringial SW Trilogy on TV always around Christmas Break. Yet when I learned the Special Edition was to hit threaters Jan,FEB and March 1997 I was shocked to hear that such a Classic trilogy could make a reappearnce on the big screens.

I always Liked SW and I will always be a fan a huge fan of George Luca's Artwork.

When TPM Came out in 1999 I wasnt as shocked as I was because I had already heard of new SW movies coming out around 1999 from a interview from George Lucas saying he would make a new starwars movie and more.

But the Classic Trilogy will always remain the Strong side of all Star Wars.

Favorite SW Movies are
1)Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
2)Star Wars: A New Hope
3)Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
4)Star Wars: The Phathom Mence

Yet I will be watching SW Episodes II and III when they come out for the Honor and Thrill of Star Wars.

Yet I do have a life and I life allot of stuff too not just Star Wars. :D
 BeastMaster
06-29-2001, 11:49 AM
I've been an SF junkie for as long as I can remember. What first hooked me on SW was one scene in ESB.

In the background of one of the hangar scenes on Hoth, you can see an unidentified Rebel pilot standing atop a snowspeeder. As the scene in the foreground continues, the background guy takes a flying leap off the speeder's wing, lands in a crouch, and sprints offscreen.

I first noticed this when I was about 6. Up until then, in my child's mind, only Heros (note the capital H) could do things like that; disobey the rules, take shortcuts, etc.

This is when it first dawned on me that SW is huge there are things, important things, happening off-camera, things that the casual viewer never sees. I've always been interested in concurrent events. What's this character doing while the camera follows the others? What happened before the opening sequence? What happens after the closing credits?

This is probably why I like the EU so much; it's the first story I've ever seen that actually has a huge continuity. Even moreso than Babylon 5, Star Trek, Gargoyles or Buffy, Star Wars is overwhelmingly complex --almost enough to qualify as a real world.

I've always loved the idea of a "shared universe" (even before I understood what it was), where there're an infinite amount of stories that can be told in the same universe, yet never interacting with each other.

I now try to get this sense of vastness in my own writing. All of my stories are set in only three different universes (sci-fi, fantasy, and far-future SF), but within those universes, I can write anything. The raw materials are already there.
Page: 1 of 1