Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

classes

Page: 1 of 1
 Gaalgoth
04-29-2002, 11:14 PM
i know that there are bounty hunters, jedis (although i guess that's more of a sub class), and a shop keeping class. what are all the others?
 MikeC
04-29-2002, 11:24 PM
SWG doesn't really do classes. What you are talking about is more along the lines of careers.

We know there will be all kinds of crafters (people who make blasters, droids, and all the other parts and objects players want in the game). There will also be politicians.

There will also be dancers and singers. Possibly other types of entertainers.
 Rommel
04-30-2002, 9:04 AM
I believe as I understand it, there to be dozens if not hundreds of possible classes or designations. Remember that bounty hunter is a culmination of about 4 different classes. Its part soldier skills, part slicer, part tracker etc etc (yes i know these aren't the exact ones but it'll work as an example).

Also for example, manufacturer is actually the extension of designer and builder.

I do believe there will be specific classes, not like anarchy online where class lines blurred a little too much, but more like UO.
 Rommel
04-30-2002, 9:21 AM
I believe as I understand it, there to be dozens if not hundreds of possible classes or designations. Remember that bounty hunter is a culmination of about 4 different classes. Its part soldier skills, part slicer, part tracker etc etc (yes i know these aren't the exact ones but it'll work as an example).

Also for example, manufacturer is actually the extension of designer and builder.

I do believe there will be specific classes, not like anarchy online where class lines blurred a little too much, but more like UO.
 Com Raven
04-30-2002, 12:53 PM
there are no classes...

and you can either choose a career, or distribute all your skills as you wish...
 Capn_Salty
04-30-2002, 9:21 PM
I pumped about being an assassin. Come on, it would be so cool to just cap some rebel scum.
 MikeC
05-01-2002, 1:14 AM
Too bad for you there' s no one shot kills.

http://www.plauder-smilies.com/rough/awm2.gif)
 Gaalgoth
05-01-2002, 1:26 AM
damn it, that could end up being really stupid. particularly if the saber isn't a one hit kill.....If the lightsabers don't kill people with one hit, then I'm really going to be pissed. granted I'll probably be cursing myself when i do meet up with a jedi and they butcher me, but still.
 Com Raven
05-01-2002, 4:39 PM
cam't do that in a rpg...

it's fine with shooters, but as there's a penalty for dying, it would suck for non-jedi....
 FWB
05-01-2002, 4:55 PM
Originally posted by Com Raven
cam't do that in a rpg...

it's fine with shooters, but as there's a penalty for dying, it would suck for non-jedi....

As long as blocking is automatic for Jedi then one hit kills for light-sabre users is, in my view, unfair. If you have to manually block (although I really can't see how they'd implement that) then one hit kills would work, since Jedi would have an awful lot to do in order to close in on the target.
 MikeC
05-01-2002, 8:20 PM
I don't think manual blocking will be doable with the combat system the Dev's have described. It wouldn't suprise me if a Jedi has to key up the option to block, but after that it will be handled automatically.
 Gaalgoth
05-01-2002, 9:07 PM
well come on guys....they're jedis. first off, there would be very few. second, they have to work really hard to get there. and third, enough people would be able tot ake a jedi....even if they have the power of the force, it's not going to be scripted like a movie. we'll still be able to catch them off guard, overwhelm them, etc. they're going to be lightsabers for god's sake......if you have five hunters on one jedi and it's not one hit kill then it would be extremely unfair for the jedi, with or without the force. a saber against five rocket launchers or whatever just isn't kosher. maybe in a movie, but the people behind the jedi char's won't really be jedis. they will be able to die. Personally, i still think the sabers need to be one hit killers.
 Rommel
05-02-2002, 8:15 AM
I could see the sabers being one hit kills, but I also think that blocking will be time consuming and there will probably be restriction on it. I agree that blocking would make sense having to key it up, thus an alert jedi is hard to hit, but also that blocking as is any skill, comes in varying degrees of ability. Someone who is a novice at blocking would be pretty damn dumb to try to stand up against 4 bounty hunters all firing at the same time.

But of course sabers are close up weapons, and a bounty hunter would be pretty dumb to let a jedi get close to him/her if that jedi just blocked 20 well placed blaster shots.

And yes a dark jedi could use force strangle or something like that to kill someone, but hey that probably negates the ability to block.

Simple fact is, it's going to be hard to be a jedi.
 MikeC
05-02-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Rommel
Simple fact is, it's going to be hard to be a jedi.
And that's the way its supposed to be. During the timeperiod we play in the Jedi are hunted almost to extinction. The few remaining Jedi have been forced into hiding. That's why Jedi in the game are going to have to be very careful in how/when they use their powers. People who flaunt the fact they are Jedi are going to die very quickly.
 Com Raven
05-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by FWB

As long as blocking is automatic for Jedi then one hit kills for light-sabre users is, in my view, unfair. If you have to manually block (although I really can't see how they'd implement that) then one hit kills would work, since Jedi would have an awful lot to do in order to close in on the target.

there was "manual blocking" in tpm...
 FWB
05-02-2002, 2:54 PM
I don't think manual blocking will be doable with the combat system the Dev's have described. It wouldn't suprise me if a Jedi has to key up the option to block, but after that it will be handled automatically.

Unfortunately you're probably right. I don't think we have the engines to do it yet, although it isn't impossible. Simply done you could have it that holding down a key enters block mode and moving the mouse moves the sabre to block in that area.

And that's the way its supposed to be. During the timeperiod we play in the Jedi are hunted almost to extinction. The few remaining Jedi have been forced into hiding. That's why Jedi in the game are going to have to be very careful in how/when they use their powers. People who flaunt the fact they are Jedi are going to die very quickly.

I second that. It is going to interesting how it is implemented. Obviously people want to be Jedi, but clearly we can't have lots of them running around. I was thinking that when you create a character they randomise those molecule ratings (I've forgotten what they're called again) that give Jedi their force ability, so that it is simply a chance that you can become a Jedi. The problem, with this is that it isn't fair. Just making it a lot of hard work to become one is probably the best option, even if that favours the 24/7 non-stop players. I guess you can always work your way towards your goal over a longer period of time. Actually, thinking about it, that would be a good move too. Jedi shouldn't be formed through playing time. They should also be linked into realtime, e.g. taking the path of the Jedi means you only level up once every two weeks, no matter how much you play.

there was "manual blocking" in tpm...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TPM? The Phantom Menace? I'm refering to the video game JK2.
 MikeC
05-02-2002, 3:23 PM
taking the path of the Jedi means you only level up once every two weeks, no matter how much you play.

You don't level in SWG like you do in other MMORPGs. In fact there are no "levels".
 FWB
05-02-2002, 3:39 PM
Time for me to go and read the FAQ before I open my big mother again. :)
 Gaalgoth
05-02-2002, 7:10 PM
Yeah, blocking should be hard. but I also agree that it shouldn't be a random metacloreane (sp?) count because it just wouldn't be fair. not that there should be a lot of jedis, but it should go to somebody who works really hard and how they play their char, not by the luck of the draw. which is what they're trying to do, as i understand it anyways, so i'm happy. one idea that i thought of, although it's against the way the star wars universe is played out, would be to have metacloreanes come to players kind of like skill points. have everyone start out at zero and depending on their actions (ie if they do some real jedi-ish things....i dunno any examples) they gain some. at like 1000, they become force sensitive. at like 10000, the become powerful like a normal jedi. etc, etc. I'm not sure how they would be distributed, but this method would work because it would help in both a player's control over the force and if you make it hard to earn the metacloreanes then it would be a while for anyone to become force sensitive. This would weed out the initial "I'm-going-to-be-a-jedi-because-they're-so-coool" people and keep those that are really interested and "loving" their characters in for the long haul. seperating the sheat from the chaff, if you will. I dunno, just my two cents.
 Sckitzo
05-04-2002, 7:29 PM
I think it should work if this hasnt been mentioned where its a latent skill kinda like claw blocl for the assasins in D2. slowly goes up and the such. just my idea, not quite sure how skill systems gonna work any way.
 Zendjir
05-11-2002, 9:58 AM
Blocking, and all other jedi abilitys will probably be skills. In the combat system, I think blocking will work the same as the other offensive/ defensive skills. You line up a set of actions with the action-'cards' that you have (i.e. blocking). So you can say; well im going to block the first 3 actions, then Im going to use force push to push my enemy's to the ground, then I'll use an action-card to use force-speed....and use my remaining action-cards to chop them all up with my saber.

This is just speculation, but I think it will work that way
 Darth Maxx
05-11-2002, 10:07 AM
anyhow, the very few people who will become a jedi, might have to hide themselves, but if they live with the rebels, they aren't in danger. So I don't think jedi's 'll have to run away all the time.

Remember: they do are the most powerful men in the universe.
 Lord Helmet
05-11-2002, 11:53 AM
maybe you could get a medichlorean count of yourself in the game on a quest maybe hmm?
 setsuko
05-11-2002, 12:02 PM
And well, obviously, as long as you don't pay allegiance to a faction, you are safe from PvP jedi hunters, if the new factions info is correct. I see a potential for a looot of neutral jedi.... which is in some way good; every faction will have to offer up a great deal of protection and dedication to get a jedi to join them.
 Gaalgoth
05-12-2002, 11:46 PM
Hmmm....I think it will be harder to kill a neutral jedi because of the outcast system, but at the same time I believe that there will be permanent bounties set on jedis so they'll never be safe.
 Ulic Quel Droma
05-13-2002, 12:00 AM
Remember the only way someone is gonna know your a jedi is if you use your powers or saber, so im sure like me many people will only use it when they REALLY have to

btw has anyone actualy seen what a lightsaber looks like in SWG? :p
 Gaalgoth
05-13-2002, 12:01 PM
Nope. I don't think they've released any pictures yet and I hope that they don't....leave it as a surprise.
 Lord Helmet
05-13-2002, 5:22 PM
it'll probably look like jedi outcast sabers...nothing that you wouldn't expect..if worse
 setsuko
05-13-2002, 10:34 PM
"it'll probably look like jedi outcast sabers"

Hmm... how much do we know of the engine? I mean... There were not that many lighting effects in the clips I've seen this far. The look of the lightsaber (brightness, vitality, shadows emitted etc) is depending on the graphics engine. And they will not use the Jedi Outcast engine, I bet. We can only hope that they put some special care into the modelling of this weapons of weapons :)
 Lord Helmet
05-13-2002, 11:24 PM
it can't be that much differnet if any even if the engine is differnet
 setsuko
05-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Comparing the lightning in a FPS and a MMORPG, and saying that is can't be that different? Compare the railgun effects in AO and Quake3, and then say it is not different. Oh, so it is? Good boy ;)

Different engines does different things. And in this case, they are supposed to do vastly different things.
 Lord Helmet
05-13-2002, 11:47 PM
the beams of the lightsabers can't really vary....the handles can but i thought u mean beam...i mean they both gotta look like the movies, right?
 setsuko
05-14-2002, 12:03 AM
I am speaking graphically. Take a look at the ligthsaber in the old SNES Star Wars games, and compare to JKII. They do NOT look the same, though both depicts a lightsaber. We all know how they will look, but not how they'll look.
Page: 1 of 1