Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is there a way to decompile a bsp?

Page: 1 of 1
 DigitalVapor
04-27-2002, 4:10 PM
I really want to pick apart some of the games maps to see how they were done, and in the case of the valley of the jedi, see what it consists of. Any way for me to do that?
 chrispcarter
04-27-2002, 10:35 PM
Ususally there is no no map "decompiler", simply because the development team would never need one, they have the .MAP files and know everything they need to.

So, you will just have to hope someone comes up with one. I do recall bsp2map (or whatever it was called) for Half-Life, it was a bit buggy, the resultant .map usually was invalid in a few ways, but you could see how stuff worked, and that's not a bad thing :D it's a GOOD thing...

Chris "DDP" Carter
 gumplunger
04-28-2002, 12:37 AM
actually i know you can decompile half-life bsp's with something called WinBSP. its freeware and works decent, although sometimes screwing the textures up. just search around for it, on some half-life mapping site maybe. you might try it on the jkII bsp's, see if it works.
 PurplWulf
04-28-2002, 1:55 AM
winbsp doesn't work on JKII .bsp's, you'll get invalid lump size errors, and the program will crash and close on you without decompiling the file.

the purple one
Page: 1 of 1