Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

clipping surfaces

Page: 1 of 1
 patchx
04-27-2002, 12:13 PM
ok
i really need to know how to clip individual surfaces into different sections as opposed to the whole brush

any one wanna tell me if this is possible or what?

-patch
 Vorax
04-27-2002, 12:29 PM
You can't split a brush into more then one brush, but you can get a similar effect by creating a new brush through the old brush, selecting the new brush and doinga csg subtract. However I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE: NEVER USE CSG SUBTRACT. Just create a second brush.

Clipping in Radiant means, cutting pieces off of a brush. Think of 2 point clipping as cutting the brush with a saw, however all the pieces left over disappear (why it can't be used to split a brush).

To do it, select the brush, and press X. Then select cut points by clicking where you want (like drawing the line you will cut along). When you have 2 points selected, the shape will change in the grid to show you what the new brush will look like. If you are happy with it, press enter to accept. If not, press esc and try again.

- Vorax
 patchx
04-27-2002, 12:41 PM
u can clip a brush into 2 seperate brushes without deleting one

just select the line u want to clip it on and go to selection and then clipper and then split selection

but it doesnt seem to work for just the surfaces damnit

-patch
 Vorax
04-27-2002, 1:06 PM
Originally posted by patchx
u can clip a brush into 2 seperate brushes without deleting one

just select the line u want to clip it on and go to selection and then clipper and then split selection

but it doesnt seem to work for just the surfaces damnit

-patch

Whoops, forgot about that menu option. :) Handy thing, but I never seem to use it. Anyways, not sure what you mean with surfaces though? Do you mean a single face of a brush?

- Vorax
 patchx
04-27-2002, 1:13 PM
yup

just the surface
for adding texture trimming around a face of a wall without having to cut the wall up into little brushes (which im assuming would make the level slower)

any ideas?

-patch
 Vorax
04-27-2002, 1:15 PM
Nope, you can't do that :( You need to make it 2 seperate brushes....but you know how :) It won't make the level slower because of how the renderer works. Either case, it would cause a minimum of 4 polys.

- Vorax
 brigand1138
04-27-2002, 3:55 PM
What's wrong with CSG Subtract?
 Vorax
04-27-2002, 7:38 PM
CSG subtract is bad because it may create uncessary braushes (negatively affecting r_speeds), it can create hidden texture faces (slows down compiles), it can cause errors within the map that don't become evident until you compile (some very serious and hard to fix), it can error itself and cause splits to surronding burshes (negatively and potentially drastically affecting r_speeds), it can...etc...etc.

It is evil and I don't know any experienced mappers that use it except for some brave souls, in very controled situations where it can not affect the map as a whole (like prefab construction) and they are always aware of the problems it can cause and prepare to repair.

There is nothing you can do with CSG subtract, that you can't do by creating and shaping your own brushes. But when you do it, you won't cause any of the problems that CSG subtract can.

So heed my warning, don't use it.

- Vorax
 brigand1138
04-27-2002, 7:40 PM
Heh heh, I wish you'd posted this earlier, I found this out the hard way! DOH!!

Mal Brigand
Page: 1 of 1