Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Right light

Page: 1 of 1
 Raktan
04-27-2002, 4:54 AM
I have big problems to set the light right.
Some places are very dark and other are white and you cant see the texture anymore.

How can i set a light that lights the map overall the same way.
Or is there a trick that would helps me.

Excuse english
THX FOR HELP
:p
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 5:21 AM
"Ambient Light
Ambient light is a property of the map’s worldspawn entity. By assigning a number value to the ambient key, the overall lighting level of the map is raised. This has the tendency to flatten the difference between light and shadow." - this text is from the Q3Radiant manual. The concept is similar in JK2Radiant.

So I assume you'd go to your map, press 'N' and then scroll down to the Entity 'worldspawn', add it and set/or add the Key "ambient" and a value. I am not sure what the values all do yet, but I assume 0-255 is okay (likely).
 Tantalus
04-27-2002, 7:14 AM
If you're talking about light intensity, you can go into the thousands, though given the number of nice shiny metal and glass textures in JO, you're likely to get a map that glows everywhere. So, yes, ambient shouldn't be set too high, and the 0-255 range should work well.
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 7:40 AM
Say, how about the 'color' Key for a light entity. I wish to experiment with other light colors - from the variations available.

But I am not sure yet what the value(s) 'color' understands.
 Obi-Cyph
04-27-2002, 8:07 AM
http://www.qeradiant.com)

thats got some good stuff on some of things, like lights, ambient stuff, etc :)
 Tarison
04-27-2002, 8:37 AM
easiest way to pick a colour is to press 'k', which brings up the colour selection for an entity. Colors seem to be of the format R G B, where each is a decimal value between 0 and 1. E.G.

1 1 1 --> White

1 0 0 --> Bright Red

0.75 1 0.25 -> Some colour. You know how it works.

I think whatever it is, has to be in the _color attribute, not color. I might be wrong on this, though :jawa

With ambient lighting, the engine seems to turn values in the thousands into neglible amounts of light, at least in my experience. Between 0-255 (as other people have said), is probably your best bet.
 FEXX
04-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Ah thanks. I found that out too when I saw a red light on the kenjin_post map with the value 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 for yes, '_color'. I did not know of the .75 or .25 values, thanks.

But I have noticed the generator on the level you can play (kenjin_post) has this appealing electrical effect initially. The very nice purple lightning that dances. After finding the generator on the map I noticed some small cubes around it. They had some values like 'elec7' and 'elec8'. Perhaps those cubes orchestrate lightning somehow.
Page: 1 of 1