Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Does the engine for MP support in-game rotation movements of walkable surfaces?

Page: 1 of 1
 Nax
04-26-2002, 7:22 AM
Well, does the engine for MP support in-game rotation movements of walkable surfaces. Would I be able to make a platform that slowly rotated end over end in a MP level which people could fight on?

Nax

P.S. For that matter, does the MP engine even support switches in multiplayer? I don't think I've seen one yet in a map.
 Goreld
04-26-2002, 11:48 AM
Rotation has been in the quake engines since quake 2. Now, assuming they haven't taken it out (I'm at work, can't check Radiant) here's how you do it- Create the brush you want to rotate, or multiple brushes.
Then create an axis brush at the center of rotation, then load up the common textures and use the ORIGIN shader (again, I'm assuming JK2 kept these the same, if I'm wrong then someone please correct me) on the brush. This brush is what your platform will rotate around- it won't show in-game. Now select all the brushes you want to rotate, as well as the origin brush. Right click, go through the entity list and make the group of brushes into a func_rotating entity. The comments in the entity editor for func_rotating should help as well.

Again, I could be completely wrong, but most of the quake engine games since quake 2 don't seem to have deleted the func_rotating entity, so I'm assuming JK2 still has it. I would venture to guess that you can use switches in mp as well.
 kanehart
04-26-2002, 12:11 PM
hehe this be a lot easy if you had this in pictures. Or small movie. That be the best is have small movie.
 Tigris
04-26-2002, 2:45 PM
May I (again) point to the sacred halls of Bubba (http://planetquake.com/bubba/fan1.html)?)

So, here you have a nicely commented and excellently pictured tutorial. All textures with common/... are in the system-directory, but elsewise everything remains the valid.

If you still have additional questions you can always message me!

Oh, just saw someone- gotta go :mob:

:D
 kanehart
04-26-2002, 2:49 PM
lol are you following me.
Page: 1 of 1