Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What is a brush?

Page: 1 of 1
 sights0d
04-26-2002, 3:55 AM
I think the title is obvious...
I want to start making maps...

What is a brush? Everyone says to make a brush.

Also, can someone give me a general VERY GENERAL timeline (outline of steps) on how to create a map? Most of the posts tend to be for people who are used to skinning quake 3 and 2 and other games.
 UniKorn
04-26-2002, 4:18 AM
It is hard to explain what a brush is, but mainly it is just a 3d structure. A wall for instance can be 1 brush. Just a large stretched cube.

A brush has only 1 thing it cannot have. A "convex" corner (i think it is called convex, don't shoot me if it is the wrong term. What I mean by that is that if you would want an L shaped brush, you would have to use 2 brushes to get the effect. Why? Because the inner side of the L cannot be done by using only 1 brush. I know my explanation kinda sucks, but I have no other way how to explain it.

A simple room. Just create six brushes, modify their height,width and lenght, and their position, so that you create a large cube in 3D. Put a player_info_start in it, and a light, compile it and voila, you finished your first map.
 Tantalus
04-26-2002, 4:42 AM
It's concave brushes you can't have, actually. Just fyi.
Page: 1 of 1