Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Models and collision detection

Page: 1 of 1
 mapmaker
04-25-2002, 7:49 PM
I've been trying to get models (like trees) to work properly, but I either don't know what I'm doing or there is a bug with JK2Radiant.
The problem is this:

I make a map with a few trees, then boot up the map in-game. Great, I say, only the trees have no collision detection, so I can walk right through them.
I was thinking that I could add a 'blockplayer' texture around the tree. Well, in JK2radiant the model is surrounded by a red box (and the red box is quite a bit larger then the actual tree is in the game) , I can't actually see the tree model itself, so I can't put the blockplayer texture around the tree. I hope that made sense.

I know that the it's possible to have collision detection around the trees because I loaded the yavin_courtyard map and looked at the trees on that map.

Right now I'm building a multiplayer CTF map where each team has a castle, and inbetween the castles is a forested area, so if anyone can help me here I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S this is my first post, so hello everyone ;)

(edit)
Darn smilies poppin' up everywhere...
(edit)
 Tigris
04-25-2002, 8:09 PM
Hy there :)
So there are two ways, but only one just comes to my mind: Make a brush that is exactly the same size as the big box around the tree and assign the clip-texture onto it. Now this is the brute-way, hope someone can post the elegant way again...
 Darth Draugmahl
04-25-2002, 8:12 PM
the other way is to as closely as possible draw brushes around the tree and also assign the clip texture to them. Keeping the shape of the tree as closely as possible allows you to interact with it as if it were solid rather than matching the bounding box with a clip. It seems like a pain but it's not that hard, though it was a lot easier under q2 to just put the damn thing in and it was solid.
 mapmaker
04-25-2002, 8:35 PM
Tigris, I did what you said, and loaded the map up in-game, but there's still a problem. I can see the tree, but when I run up to it I hit an invisible wall.
I might not have explained it well, and it may not make any difference, but in the 3d view in JK2Radiant, I can't see the tree itself, only a large, solid red box. Whether or not that matters, I don't know, but in the screenshots of the Quake3Radiant editor I've seen, the models show up in the 3d view, surrounded by a transparent red box.
Was that changed in JK2Radiant, or is there a way to turn that feature on?

Thanks.
 brigand1138
04-25-2002, 8:38 PM
I know why you can just walk through them, Radient is placing them in the map as entities and not models, so it's just like adding a gun to be picked up or some ammo, so what we need to know is how to change an entity into a model so that Radient sees them as a brush/group of brushes and makes them solid

Somone on here must know how it's done!!

Mal Brigand
 mapmaker
04-25-2002, 8:51 PM
Ah hah, I figured out how to show the models as skins or wireframes. Moooost excellent :)
Here's how, for anyone that's having the same problem.
On the menu at the top of the editor, click 'View' then click 'Entities as:'
then select 'Wireframe to view them as a wireframe, obviously, and 'Skinned' to see them in color.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone :D
 brigand1138
04-25-2002, 9:51 PM
I e-mail ChangKhan not long ago about this, and got a very prompt response, fairplay!! He said yes we have to make the clip brushes for the models by hand, but they don't have to be exact (he said this would slow the game down)

However, possible good news is.....he MIGHT make sure that in the next release they have all the clip brushes for the models they used in the game, so that we can import them into our maps along with the models!! Lets hope he does make sure!!

Again, a big thanks to Changkhan for the quick response!

Mal Brigand
 =JediKnight05=
04-25-2002, 9:54 PM
Whats the path for the tree model ? or how do I find all the paths for all the models
 FEXX
04-25-2002, 10:12 PM
Well to access the trees in JK2 I did this, you can too (if you can spare the HD space):

I renamed the assets0.pk3 file temporarily to assets0.zip, then right-click extracted this huge file onto my /base folder. It unzipped all the game's files (many files). I then renamed it back to .pk3.

Then do a File Find search starting at the /base folder for like 'tree', and the results should show you many .md3 and .tga files. These are the original game trees. Some are parts of a larger tree too.

But my question is, how do I get the game's maps into JK2Radiant to review? As is, I only see .bsp and .nav files in my /map folder; where can I get the game's .map files?

Your thoughts are welcome.
 mapmaker
04-25-2002, 10:58 PM
If I'm correct, I don't think you can edit the maps that came with the game. But with JK2Radiant you should have got two maps, named kejim_post (the first mission in the game) and ctf_bespin. Those should, by default, be in your maps folder. I tried loading kejim_post, but it's huge, my computer could barely run it.
 FEXX
04-25-2002, 11:08 PM
Ahaa. I had opened those .map before and totally forgot, thanks. At the time I had very little knowledge of the 3D viewport controls and couldn't do much of anything.

Both maps load up okay for me, but the GB of RAM I use likely helps. The information on those maps is incredible.
 UniKorn
04-26-2002, 4:56 AM
Make sure you play around a little with your tree. Just put the clip brushes on the parts that you think are strong enough to block the player. A leaf won't stop me :)
Page: 1 of 1