Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

duel_academy map release...

Page: 1 of 1
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 12:43 PM
well the map has been done for two days now, but I was hoping for some help with adding bot support, however that help never came.

I've tried emailing Raven, and posting on several forums for help, but nothing usable was ever offered.

so I'm releasing the map if anyone wants to use it as is. It's fully functional and is selectable using the in-game menu for Multiplayer.

this is the recreation of the training arena from the Jedi Academy in the SP, it's a very simple but fun map IMO

The map supports duel mode, ffa mode, and team ffa mode, and is saber only.

enjoy

Click Here to Download the Zip file (ftp://ftp.the-warlords.org/JediKnightII/duel_academy.zip)

the purple one
 D'akt Sangwar
04-25-2002, 12:57 PM
niiice, i had fun on this :)
 n0th1ng
04-25-2002, 2:59 PM
was hoping for a complete duplicate of the Jedi Academy SP level, but this is just as good :) Any plans of a version 2.0 yet? i LOVE the map, great for clans using the padawan/apprentice system
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 3:05 PM
well when I made this map, my only real intention was to:

1. see how the editor worked and what I could do with it
2. make a map that didn't have pits or holes in the middle that you keep getting stuck in.
3. have a map that let you train/play in the same style the Jedi's used in the academy level.

I kept it small so that it would survive the transition from duel to ffa without causing any problems. IE: duel_raven works great for ffa, but if you play it in duel mode, the players can literally run around for quite a while without finding eachother making already long dueling, take even longer.

if there's enough interest, the map can be expanded for different uses, or if someone else likes what I've done but wants to take it further themselves, I can send them the .map file to work with as a base.

the purple one
 n0th1ng
04-25-2002, 3:10 PM
well, anyways its GREAT. Good Job :cool:
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 4:03 PM
well I didn't even think to check this since the map had no .nav file or botroute file, but if you want to fight against the NPC's you can call up a single player game and load the map by typing: map duel_academy

when you spawn an NPC into the map they seem to navigate it very well as opposed to MP bots which just run around doing level 3 force jumps with no pattern.

I just fought Desann in SP on the map, and he had no troubles navigating it, and it was a great fight.

so at least in SP the map is usable for training by yourself

the purple one
 DaviJade
04-25-2002, 5:10 PM
PurplWulf your link to your level download is not working.
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 5:33 PM
hmmm I just checked the link again and it's working fine for me

the file is hosted on a busy ftp site, so sometimes it's hard to connect, but it should be working.

if that fails though, I've uploaded the map to the JKII files section, and to the massassi files section so at least one of them should have it hosted and ready soon.

the purple one
 uteboy
04-25-2002, 10:04 PM
nice work purplwulf. Just one question ( and note that I know nothing about mapping )

what would it take to make this map duel only?

I run servers using the automapcycle option, and would love to throw this map up for the duel mode server I run but don't want it to be used for the server thats running ffa
 yrean
04-25-2002, 10:13 PM
nice work......ive been trying to make some maps of my own but i havent quite got the hang of the editor yet....if ya could spare a moment possibly post or email me some tips please?? ty.
 S!TH!NAT0R
04-25-2002, 10:19 PM
Nice work but dead link:(
 PurplWulf
04-25-2002, 10:36 PM
to run the map in duel mode, you just start the map like any other. If you're using a config for dedicated server, just put the map in the duel rotation, and it'll run like any other duel map.

duel_pit
duel_jedi
duel_carbon
duel_bay

are all duel maps, but they also have ffa support, they just aren't run in ffa mode often. This map is the same way.

Sithinator: email me if you can't get the link to work and I'll send you the map, same for anyone else who is having trouble with the link. I've submitted the map to the files sections of several sites but I have no idea when it will uploaded and added for download.

my email is:
purplwulf@wolfheart.net

as for mapping help, I'm pretty new to Q3 mapping, about all I can do right now is create brushes, add a sky and texture brushes. the lighting was all trial and error until I got the right effect. but if you need any help, feel free to contact me and if I have the answers you need I'll be glad to supply them.

the purple one
 uteboy
04-26-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by PurplWulf
to run the map in duel mode, you just start the map like any other. If you're using a config for dedicated server, just put the map in the duel rotation, and it'll run like any other duel map.

Thats fine if you are using a cfg file to rotate the maps, I dont, mainly so that you don't have to try and anticipate voting. However with the way the map is at the moment if it's installed and you are running ffa, tffa, ( poss even jm, but haven't tried this yet) and you have g_autoMapCycle set to 1, with no map_rotation.cfg then it will automatically use duel_academy ( which I do really like, don't think I'm down on it in any way, I just think it's a little small for a 20 player ffa)

Note that the other duel maps do not do this.

This is the same reason I haven't put carbon freeze up on my server yet, nice map, good ffa ( a little a intense but doable ) but too big for duel which it still comes up in.

This might not actually be a map property, it may be another file that needs changing, but like I said I really know nothing about mapping.
 uteboy
04-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Ignore this, this was rubbish
 PurplWulf
04-26-2002, 12:24 AM
ahh ok I see what you were saying then.

the script that's built in to the pk3 for the map has that info, in order for it to be for duel only, you would have to change the script info so it only pointed to the duel menu

I deliberately added ffa support so that people could select it from the in-game menu and not have to load the map manually.

if that file were edited, I don't think it would affect the playability of the map, but I don't know enough about the coding aspect of the game to say for sure.

the purple one

p.s. if you want, I can create a new pk3 file for you with the edited script and you can try it out, it's possible that the map won't work for anyone else though if your server is set for "pure" since you would have a different script file from those connecting to you. again I'm not sure about that though
 uteboy
04-26-2002, 12:30 AM
okay ignore my previous post. Had another looks and yes it's the academy.arena file that would have to change to work like that.

The other way to do it would be to release a second version with that as a change. you could then have :

ffa_academy
duel_academy
 PurplWulf
04-27-2002, 2:26 AM
for anyone that wanted the map but found the link to be dead, the map is now up at the Massassi temple with a link for download from their site, I also submitted the map to the JKII files section, but it hasn't been uploaded there yet.

HTH

the purple one
Page: 1 of 1