Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

[B][I]Why should we hate star trek?[/I][/B]

Page: 1 of 1
 darth terrat
07-05-2001, 3:08 PM
Lets begin=

Boba Rhett
07-05-2001, 3:41 PM
http://www.jediknight.net/cgi-bin/mboard/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001018)

And it could also be that every episode ends with an ensign(sp?) having a conversation with the captian that goes something like this....

DOOD: Captain, I believe if I modify this console I can reroute power to the forward deflector shields. We then would be able to push are way out of the anomaly.

Captain: Make it so.

**15 seconds later**

Captain: It worked!! Good job ensign.

DOOD: Thank you captain.

You all know its' true. I bet half the audiance for voyager was just tuning in to see Seven. Heck, I know I was....
 Jean-Luc_Picard
07-05-2001, 4:50 PM
HEY! us trekkies have feelins too, man! :D

Picard out
 BeastMaster
07-05-2001, 11:32 PM
My only real complaint about Star Trek is the execution.

Star Trek has some great ideas, and lots of awesome story potential, but the only series that actually lived up to that potential (IMHO) was DS9.

Just my $0.02.
 oninosensi
07-06-2001, 1:25 PM
DS9 was the best- it did something the other shows did not: maintained a storyline!

it could also be that every episode ends with an ensign(sp?) having a conversation with the captian that goes something like this....

DOOD: Captain, I believe if I modify this console I can reroute power to the forward deflector shields. We then would be able to push are way out of the anomaly.

Captain: Make it so.

**15 seconds later**

Captain: It worked!! Good job ensign.

DOOD: Thank you captain.

You all know its' true.

Not entirly true. In ST:TNG they would kill off a high ranking Klingon as an alternate ending. Just wiped them right off.. er, out! :D
 Darth Prime
07-09-2001, 2:05 AM
The one main reasonI don't like Star Trek is because it's set in the same galaxy, where as in Star Wars the setting is in a galaxy far, far away as all of us already know by now. I've got a few more reasons but I can't think of them.
 obi
07-09-2001, 12:32 PM
yes,but its good to have trek set in the milky way, to defend earth from the borg,cardassians,romulans,etc.

Wing Commander is set in our galaxy,but a heap of people like it(including me :D ).
 Hannibal
07-09-2001, 1:24 PM
Is it me or are they milking Roddenberry? Every year there's a new series from the mind of Roddenberry? They probably find some story he wrote (that he didn't want coming out), and since he's dead he can't stop them. They just keep getting worse and worse.
They've bastardized Star Trek. The original series was groundbreaking. The Next Generation was good for a while. Then they went nuts. DS9 eventually became good.
Come on you really think Roddenberry would have been proud of the fact that such crappy shows were put out using his name? :mad: :D

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Hannibal ]
 MadPoster
07-09-2001, 2:27 PM
You must be refering to Andromida and Earth: Lameo Conflict
 obi
07-09-2001, 4:09 PM
roddenbary only had the original series planned. jonathan frakes(Commander Riker),continued the series with TNG.

thats why it says "Based UPON star trek by Gene Roddenbary"
 BeastMaster
07-09-2001, 4:15 PM
Can't comment on Final Conflict 'cause I don't watch it (various reasons; I just don't really care), but Andromeda is the first SF show I've seen in years that's actually well-thought out.

The aliens are aliens; unlike in Star Trek where all the aliens act like humans. Heck, the Magog are parasites who reproduce by eating their hosts from the inside out, yet we can still sympathize with them!

The setting is interesting, with the political subplots kept to a minimum.

Technology is used as window dressing, not as a plot crutch.

The AIs are unapologetic; Rommie's a warship. She doesn't like running from a fight, and isn't afraid to wade into 10-1 odds. She doesn't want to be human, because she's alive already, just artificial.

The philosophy is coherent and diverse enough among the characters to make for some genuinely interesting conversations (imagine Trance & Tyr comparing notes).

Even the Nietzscheans are interesting!
 Pootie
07-09-2001, 4:19 PM
What now Hannibal? heh
 Hannibal
07-09-2001, 5:15 PM
Ahh, a challenge hunh Pootie? :D Ok. Andromeda is bad for the following reasons:
1) I don't like it (which is enough said really).
2) The casting sucks. Hercules sucks as captain. He made a great Hercules, but why would you put a guy who is a action hero as the captain of a ship?
3) A female ship? Give me a break!!!
4) Production on the show sucks. It looks cheap.

So BeastMaster may be right the ideas and plots may be good, but other (major) things make this show suck.
Thank You. Thank You.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't know Dark Angel sucks too. If Jessica Alba wasn't fine that show would have half the viewers and got canceled like the LoneGunmen. I have an idea cancel Dark angel and put Alba's character on Lone Gunmen.
 Pootie
07-09-2001, 7:20 PM
Very good, Hannibal :D
 obi
07-09-2001, 8:13 PM
I think thats a big "What now,Pootie?huh?" ;)

i've never really watched andromeda because

1)it comes on 3 different stations on my cable
2)the series is never in order, so its hard for me to understand
3)like hannabal said, "Hercules as a captain?" i agree! holy bad idea batman!!!
 Pootie
07-09-2001, 9:23 PM
LOL!

The only reason I said that was because I thought that those two other guys really countered Hannibal's post. But he responded with a very nice one.

I guess now I am forced to state MY opinion!

I like Star Trek... and Star Wars. Star Trek seems a lot cheesier... which it is. And Boba, that was really funny, but not entirely true. (Earlier where he had a "scene" from an average Star Trek episode).

I've never watched Gene Roddenberry's other shows... just Star Trek, and some of them are pretty cool, although lots are weird, dumb or retarded :D.

Star Wars is better than Star Trek... in my humble opinion of course ;)
 Darth Prime
07-10-2001, 2:24 AM
With the exception of Babylon 5, anything that has to do with the Milky Way Galaxy is crap. Like I said, at least Star Wars is set in another galaxy. Don't ask me how humans got there, I wouldn't begin to guess.
Also,I never even heard of Andromeda. Is that on the Sci-Fi channel or something?
 ESE_Sithlord
07-10-2001, 2:27 AM
no really its on Fox.....
 Hannibal
07-10-2001, 12:31 PM
It's on the WB here...it's syndicated.
 obi
07-10-2001, 12:43 PM
i get it on fox,wgn, AND the wb

and on all channels, the series ain't in order.
 ESE_Sithlord
07-10-2001, 3:53 PM
cool
 Darth Prime
07-11-2001, 2:09 AM
Dude, I've got DirecTV. could you be a little more specific than that?
For a while there, I thought I was going to get into a dispute over this like that time I did about abortion, but I can't remember who that was I got into it with.
 BeastMaster
07-12-2001, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal:
<STRONG>1) I don't like it (which is enough said really).</STRONG>

Yes, enough said. You're entitled to your opinions, as I am to mine.

<STRONG>2) The casting sucks. Hercules sucks as captain. He made a great Hercules, but why would you put a guy who is a action hero as the captain of a ship?</STRONG>

Actually, acting is like special effects to me; I never notice it unless its bad enough to disrupt the suspension of disbelief.

That said, I find all the characters on the show to be believeable. Sure Dylan (Sorbo's character) doesn't really behave like anyone I know in real life, but hey, he acts like Dylan.

<STRONG>3) A female ship? Give me a break!!!</STRONG>

Uh, aren't all ships female? (Except for the Starlight Intruder in DE, but that's irrelevent.) Personifying ships as feminine is a tradition that's as old as human civilization.

<STRONG>
4) Production on the show sucks. It looks cheap.</STRONG>

Well, yeah, it does, but a lot of that I can chalk up to just the way the Andromeda Ascendant was designed. If I were in charge, I'd have included some elevators, but apparently ramps and ladders are good enough for the High Guard.

The production staff is obviously channeling most of their weekly budget into the CGI starship effects and hiring big-name guest stars.

I'm even going to ignore your Dark Angel slurs. As we agreed above, we're both entitled to our opinions.

Originally posted by Darth Prime:
<STRONG>With the exception of Babylon 5, anything that has to do with the Milky Way Galaxy is crap.</STRONG>

ROTFLOL!!!

You know, this is sig-worthy! :D
 Hannibal
07-12-2001, 2:59 PM
Whoah!!! Wait a minute Beastmaster. I didn't say Sorbo coudn't act. I just said the he didn't fit this role. Also ships aren't female they are just given female identities by loved starved(sorry sailors :D) men who need some kind of female interaction even if its just talking about a ship. I'd probably do the same.

But I do agree with you on one thing, opinions. I like shows that other people thought sucked too. Like Space: Above and Beyond. Alot of things and that show were totally ridiculous but I over looked them cause I liked the show. So all you Andromeda fans enjoy your female ship and Captain Hercules and don't let the naysayers tell you it sucks (even though it does :D).
 Darth Prime
07-14-2001, 1:57 AM
I've got a real serious question, and yes I know I said I hate Star Trek, but are they coming out with a new Star Trek serious? Cause me and my brother saw something about a new Enterprise and I didn't know.
 Boba Rhett
07-14-2001, 4:14 AM
Yes they are. The guy from Quantim Leap is the captain. It takes place before the original series.
 obi
07-14-2001, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett:
<STRONG>Yes they are. The guy from Quantim Leap is the captain. It takes place before the original series.</STRONG>

QUANTUM LEAP RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCOTT BAKULA("the guy from quantum leap")RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any way, im a huge quantum leap fan, and i think scott bakula is one of the greatest actors whoever lived, and he will make the best captain of the Enterprise.

i can't wait for the series to come out, cause i like trek too.
:D :D :D
 MadPoster
07-14-2001, 6:02 PM
And the ships look like a flying saucer with sticks shoved up it's arse.
 Darth Prime
07-15-2001, 2:08 AM
Thanks for mentioning Hercules' name, I remember seeing the commericals for Andromeda, and, quite frankly, it doesn't look to good to me.
Page: 1 of 1