Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Will there be a Mac version?

Page: 1 of 1
 Lindley
04-15-2002, 8:20 PM
Hi all. I'm new to these boards.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to port DF3 to the Mac OS? It runs on a varient of the Quake 3 engine, which has already been ported for such games as Quake 3 and STV: Elite Force.

So since the engine has been ported, it shouldn't be too hard to port the rest.

I have Dark Forces for Mac, and DF2 is old enough that it works fine on Virtual PC. But I am really wanting to play this as well, after all the good reviews.
 RiverWalker
04-15-2002, 8:24 PM
I think they would be better to port it to Linux, that way people with macs can play it if they really want...

but from what I've heard they don't plan to,

why not just get a real computer? (for goodness sakes don't take that too seriously)
 UsEr-X-
04-15-2002, 8:27 PM
Macs suck :( Thats why i got a pc and it rules! Anything thats on a mac is on a pc and usually theres more support for the pc one :)

UsEr-X-:fett:
 Foxbatkllr
04-15-2002, 9:04 PM
User you're full of BS, you've obviously never used a Mac and have no clue what you're talking about. With the exception of games, Mac has just as much support for software as PC. I have access to both PC and Mac and with the exception of JK2 i never touch the PC. For graphics and video professionals such as myself, Mac rules. If you're just a gamer sure PC is probably right for you, but don't come in here saying "Mac sux" without being able to back it up (which of course you can't because there is no basis for it and it is merely your opinion.)
 Emon
04-15-2002, 9:10 PM
Originally posted by Foxbatkllr
User you're full of BS, you've obviously never used a Mac and have no clue what you're talking about. With the exception of games, Mac has just as much support for software as PC. I have access to both PC and Mac and with the exception of JK2 i never touch the PC. For graphics and video professionals such as myself, Mac rules. If you're just a gamer sure PC is probably right for you, but don't come in here saying "Mac sux" without being able to back it up (which of course you can't because there is no basis for it and it is merely your opinion.)

Your right, but if he's just a gamer, then for him Macs do suck.
 Foxbatkllr
04-15-2002, 9:15 PM
Then he should've come in saying "Macs suck for games because there aren't as many games on a Mac" and that would've been a perfectly valid point. Not "Macs suck Thats why i got a pc and it rules!"
 Emon
04-15-2002, 9:18 PM
Yeah, that's true. Also besides the fact that there aren't as many games for the Mac OS platform, but also since all Macs have are Radeons for good 3D cards... I'd take a GF4 Ti 4600 over a Radeon 8500 ANY day.
 UsEr-X-
04-15-2002, 9:23 PM
I meant there are more overall programs and games for PC, I used the wrong wording. For me mac is a waste of money cause I play games but I also do video and image editing in adobe photoshop and adobe premiere and it works awesome ;) Anyways wasn't Toy story, Final Fantasy, Jimmy Neutron, and Ice age rendered on a PC running Maya?:D Why would professioanls choose that if the mac is so great?

UsEr-X-:fett:
 Foxbatkllr
04-15-2002, 9:28 PM
Maybe but they were definitely running it on NT, not your regular Winblows. ILM uses Macs running Maya for all the animatics...and ILM is god. Besides...Photoshop operations are 2-7 times faster on a Mac than a PC...Plus, the video and graphics on a Mac more closely resemble what they would look like on a TV or on print.
 Wintermute_666
04-15-2002, 9:53 PM
You can get geforce 4 cards for macs.
 Lindley
04-16-2002, 9:32 AM
The deciding factor: PC people don't get to play Escape Velocity :P

However, I have been thinking of getting a PC for gaming purposes. However, a PS2 would probably work as well......wait a minute, I heard a rumor that Playstation games would work under OSX....hmmm....have to check that out.

Anyway, I have more than enough games for now. EV: Nova ( :p ), DS9: The Fallen, STV: Elite Force........
 RiverWalker
04-16-2002, 10:37 AM
different computer systems have different uses. simple as that,

Macs are great for all that video editing and graphical crap, no argument from me there.

PC's, and more specifically, AMD's are the king of the hill for home use, and serious Gaming.

Intels are fine for businesses who don't want to take care of their equipment, and are doing things that take advantage of the very few things Intel chips do accel at.
 Lord Nodata
04-16-2002, 1:18 PM
To answer your question...(wasn't that the point of this thread?)

We're not sure, but there's a petition for it:

CLICK HERE FOR THE PETITION (http://216.239.35.120/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.petitiononline.com/JKMAC/petition.html&prev=/+search%3Fq%3Djedi%2Boutcast%2Bmac%26hl%3Den%26ie%) 253%3Cbr+/%3EDUTF8%26oe%3DUTF8)
 toolboi
04-16-2002, 2:12 PM
but also since all Macs have are Radeons for good 3D cards... I'd take a GF4 Ti 4600 over a Radeon 8500 ANY day.

Why dont you do your research before making statments like that? (http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html)

I was a hardcore mac addict untill last summer. Id promised that if Apple didnt get their head out of their collective ass and pay more attention to what the consumers wanted I would switch to a PC. Well they did better, but I still switched.
 WickedPresident
04-16-2002, 2:25 PM
I was a Mac user for a few years, but I just got a new PC a few months ago. IMHO Macs and PCs really aren't that much different, except when it comes to software support. PCs just have soooo much more software available for them, and really, there isn't anything you can do with a Mac that you can't do with a PC. The only advantage that I can see with a Mac is if you are already familiar with that platform, and have little to no experience with a PC, you might want to stick with a Mac just so that you don't have to learn a whole new OS.
As far as games go, there's absolutely no way a Mac is better than a PC. When PC games DO get ported to the Mac, they typically are released months or even years after the PC version. And I've never played a Mac-exclusive game that was as good as any of the A-list PC games. So if you're a casual gamer who's familiar with Macs and unfamiliar with PCs, by all means get the new Mac. Otherwise go with the PC.

Wicked
Page: 1 of 1