Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Some interesting news about Lucas Arts

Page: 1 of 1
 Brian29
03-24-2001, 5:44 PM
The following news is an excerpt from Gamespot

3DO sues LucasArts

The maker of all things Army Men sues LucasArts for copyright infringement.

3DO filed a lawsuit in the US District Court, Northern District of California against LucasArts last week for alleged copyright infringement. 3DO claims that LucasArts willfully and knowingly infringed upon 3DO's copyright on the title Star Fighter with its PlayStation 2 Star Wars game, Star Wars Starfighter.
3DO is basing the lawsuit on the grounds that it has spent significant amounts of money in the past promoting its own Star Fighter brand, LucasArts' Starfighter product is similar to its Star Fighter products, LucasArts' usage of the Starfighter name may cause confusion between products, and its Star Fighter products have been in production far longer than the LucasArts game.

3DO claims in its lawsuit that LucasArts was notified by the US Patents Office on February 28, 2001, of its copyright infringement yet still continued to sell its Starfighter product. 3DO also claims that the use of the Starfighter brand by LucasArts will cause "lost profits, dilution of its goodwill, and injury to its reputation." Specifically, 3DO feels that four statutes have been violated: The Lanham Act, Unfair Competition/False Designation of Origin, Unfair Competition/Deceptive Trade Practice, and Common Law Trademark Infringement.

3DO refused to comment on the lawsuit, and LucasArts was unable to be reached for comment. We'll have more on the lawsuit as the news breaks

-----------------------------------

It seems to me that LucasArts is definately heading in the wrong direction and it seems that the company is having nothing but problems.

First the cancellation of Obi Wan PC and now this!!

I wonder if LucasArts is hiring because it seems to me like their upper management team has more screws loose than anything else.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Brian29 (edited March 24, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Brian29 (edited March 24, 2001).]
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-24-2001, 7:02 PM
I wonder though if they can really sue, since Starfighter is a word. It would be like Sunkist suing someone else for using orange... Yah know... Anyways...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
But the memory remains...
 Garindan
03-25-2001, 1:36 AM
3do is very lame. c'mon, starfighter is used in the star wars movies! DUH!!!!!!!!! wake up idiots!!!
 Tie Guy
03-25-2001, 3:29 PM
Really! Lucas practically invented the Star Fighter in the first place, wonder if their game is copywright infringement itself.

------------------
We will crush the Rebellion in one swift stroke.
 Zell Raider
03-25-2001, 6:25 PM
Originally posted by Garindan:
3do is very lame. c'mon, starfighter is used in the star wars movies! DUH!!!!!!!!! wake up idiots!!!

Right on Garindan http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif) indeed
 JediMasterHorn
03-25-2001, 7:00 PM
Besides, it looks to me that LA is actually begining to get on the RIGHT track now. Starfighter rocked, Battlegrounds looks very promising, and they have decided not to do so many EP.II games that people wanna puke when they hear another is about to be released. This is just an example of a small and struggling company trying to figure out a way to "get back" at the big company that is one of the dominant forces in their industry. Besides, 3DO does suck. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)
 Garindan
03-25-2001, 9:13 PM
i can't wait for battlegrounds to come out, i was happy with force commander and rebellion, and battlegrounds looks like a mix of the 2, since it'll have old technology first, and then you work your way up.
 Zell Raider
03-25-2001, 9:33 PM
battlegrounds ?

Is there any screen shots out for that game Garindan?
 JediMasterHorn
03-27-2001, 1:06 AM
They just started making it.

------------------
http://jedihorn2.homestead.com/files/pureandsimple.gif)
Rebel Dream (http://www.rebeldream.swsites.net)
Page: 1 of 1