Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Star Wars books on this site?

Page: 1 of 2
 stoat
03-07-2001, 11:30 PM
I think this site should have stuff on Star Wars books. There could be a forum, and other stuff on the site too. I'm sure many people who come here have also read many of the books and would like to talk about them with other people.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-07-2001, 11:55 PM
Hey if you want to discuss books, we can do it right here http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

As for stuff on books on this site, you can always make a site on them and I'm sure the webmasters for JK.Net wouldn't mind featuring your site...

------------------
You can do it your own way
Just as long as it's done just how I say...
 paulbarnard
03-08-2001, 1:49 AM
Which books in particular? We've already had the great Vector Prime debate on here.
 oninosensi
03-08-2001, 2:24 AM
and it is unfinished!

Long live my threads!

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
 Rogue9
03-08-2001, 3:04 AM
I would have to say NJO series is cool, and I have almost every book published by Bantam and lucasbooks, besides the stupid kiddie books that is...it is the first series where you wonder if anothe main character might bite it.
 paulbarnard
03-08-2001, 3:56 PM
You can only hope.
 Garindan
03-09-2001, 12:02 AM
i like the x-wing books. they're awesome. I'd like to read them in 'order' of the timeframe so i don't get confused.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-09-2001, 12:33 AM
I think the problem with most of the books is the characters don't seem like the ones in the movies... I'm just not getting the right feel from them...

One of the only novels, IMO that the characters 'feel' real is Shadows of the Empire. Although in any novel & comic, Boba Fett talks waaaaaaay to much... And SOTE is no exception...

The problem with SOTE is Dash Rendar. Solo is in carbonite, but that doesn't mean I want a clone of him.

I also didn't really like the art in the DH comic...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
But the memory remains...
 paulbarnard
03-09-2001, 3:28 PM
Dark Horse at least needs to work on their scale. A corvette is not as big as a star destroyer, and quit making those damn stupid supper carrier ships.

They do have a chronology of books and when it happens in the NJO series. So, look there to read what when. Dark Horse has their own time line (better than the essential chronology book) published on their website.
 Garindan
03-09-2001, 3:38 PM
dash rendar i think is cooler than solo, at least his copilot is a droid instead of a wookiee!
 stoat
03-09-2001, 8:02 PM
The Star Wars books that are most like the movies are the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn. They are very good. Timothy Zahn has also written a short story in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina, a story in the Star Wars Adventure Journal, and the Hand of Thrawn Duology. They are all very good.
 BeastMaster
03-09-2001, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by paulbarnard:
and quit making those damn stupid supper carrier ships.

But how else are those hardworking Imperial personnel supposed to eat? http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif)

And yes, the "voice" and characters in some of the EU is off, but that's almost unavoidable in a shared universe. Look at it this way, for every really bad "chapter" (read: individual novel/comic/game/whatever), there's a really good, well-written chapter to look forward to: Tales of the Jedi, the X-Wing Series, the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn Duology, NJO: Jedi Eclipse, the Jedi Knight Graphic Novels

Besides, how can you complain about a continuity that gave us Mara Jade? *drool*

<small>Curse you Skywalker!</small>

At least Lucasbooks is imposing some form of order. Pocket Books recently started doing this for the Star Trek franchise, and it's really paying off in quality (IMHO, of course).

------------------
"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
 paulbarnard
03-10-2001, 4:30 AM
No, I think the idea of carrier ships bigger than SSD's is stupid. They don't want to build the SSD's due to cost, why build a box essentially the same size?
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-10-2001, 1:24 PM
The thing that made the SSD so special was that it was so HUGE... It was special... now there's been like 12 Death Stars, 50 SSD, etc ETC ETC!!! The books are going over board. The Alliance WON! Where are the Imps getting all this crap?

Yes I agree, the first HTE, DFR, TLC were all good...

Oh and Chewie would kick any droid's @$$ anytime!!!

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 paulbarnard
03-11-2001, 3:39 PM
Originally posted by Jedi SuperBuen:
The thing that made the SSD so special was that it was so HUGE... It was special... now there's been like 12 Death Stars, 50 SSD, etc ETC ETC!!! The books are going over board. The Alliance WON! Where are the Imps getting all this crap?

Yes I agree, the first HTE, DFR, TLC were all good...

Oh and Chewie would kick any droid's @$$ anytime!!!

I wonder the same thing. They moan and complain in several books about how big and expensive to keep up just a simple Star Destroyer. Imagine the resources a dwindling force has. I sure wouldn't spend it unwisely making a super destroyer. Plus it also mentions that the cash strapped republic barely has money to comission new mon cal cruisers.

That's why it was outrageous when the Bothans started making their own warships in the NJO, the cost during peace time.

A super destroyer is over a million things waiting to go wrong. The cost to operate the few the Empire did have at it's height made it barely worthy it.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-12-2001, 10:17 PM
I guess that's why it's fiction!

But still I mean find something else than another Death Star... George already used that to it's capacity...

Here's a scary though: a pre-Death Star in Episode II or III!!! *gulp* Mr. Lucas if you are reading this DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER DEATH STAR IN EPISODE II OR III (or Episode I SE either http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif)

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 paulbarnard
03-13-2001, 3:47 AM
OR Ewoks Or Gungans or Any other CUTE Alien Race that should be erradicated.
 stoat
03-13-2001, 8:16 PM
This topic was meant to discuss whether books should be discussed in a formal place on this site, not the actual books. There could be a forum for books, with topics for specific books.
 Garindan
03-13-2001, 8:45 PM
the coolest book, or short storys are:

Therefore I Am (one of my favorites, it's about IG-88 and the second death star core...)

Payback (a short story about dengar)

No Disentigreations (an awesome story about boba fett, he uses about all the armor he has, and it's very awesome and intense).
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-14-2001, 1:08 AM
Originally posted by stoat:
This topic was meant to discuss whether books should be discussed in a formal place on this site, not the actual books. There could be a forum for books, with topics for specific books.

Hey who follows topics anyways... I can post what I want if you don't like it don't read it...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 oninosensi
03-14-2001, 1:53 AM
Personally, Ilike brownies. they are tasty and crunchy, and squeal when you spit them.

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
 paulbarnard
03-14-2001, 5:13 PM
Chalupas. Gorditas. The Taco Bell Menu can be the source of great debate.
 Boba Rhett
03-14-2001, 5:42 PM
None of you have probably ever heard of it but Taco Johns,"mainly located in the midwest", could kick Taco Bell any day of the week. Kurgan may know what i'm talkin bout.

------------------
I live here ya know.
 stoat
03-14-2001, 8:19 PM
Originally posted by Jedi SuperBuen:
Hey who follows topics anyways... I can post what I want if you don't like it don't read it...

post whatever you want, as long as its vaguely on topic. Topics are useful. If you want to talk about something which isn't on topic, post it in the appropriate topic or start your own topic. If this isn't followed then there might as well be just one message board.
 oninosensi
03-14-2001, 11:33 PM
The wandering thread is a specialty of this forum. Stay on topic? not after a page, usually http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
 Boba Rhett
03-14-2001, 11:47 PM
Ya, it's practically tradition here. Infact, I think it should become tradition.

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-15-2001, 1:46 AM
No one controls me... No ONE... NOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

*ahem*

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 paulbarnard
03-15-2001, 2:24 AM
I know. but that's because i'm a transplanted midwesterner.
 stoat
03-19-2001, 8:53 PM
I think its fine for nothing to be on topic in this forum, and thats why I think there should be a separate forum for Star Wars books. I figured this was the appropriate forum for discussing whether there should be a forum for books. Once they make the forum for books, you can go back to being irrelevant and off topic.
 Boba Rhett
03-19-2001, 9:45 PM
Do you REALLY think that we need another forum for Star Wars books? We already have forums here the we don't use. And we get off topic in all of the ones we do use.

------------------
I live here ya know.
http://fp.geocities.com/boba_rhett/stabhead.gif)
 paulbarnard
03-20-2001, 3:20 AM
write this down. Rhett made sense and had a point.
 Boba Rhett
03-20-2001, 3:33 AM
Holy ****!! I did!! *marks date on calendar*

------------------
I live here ya know.
http://fp.geocities.com/boba_rhett/stabhead.gif)
 stoat
03-20-2001, 8:56 PM
I do think we need a forum for Star Wars books. I want to talk about my books with somebody, and if there is a forum for books, there will be a reliable place to do it instead of doing it in some other topic.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-20-2001, 9:36 PM
Why? We are talking about books now. And even if someone gets a bit off topic, it doesn't matter. You should be glad that your topic has insipired such rich dialogue between all of us...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Boba Rhett
03-20-2001, 10:31 PM
Talk about books in the main board. Were not gonna put up a forum for books when only you would use it and we already can't get people to post in the ones we already have. Like I said before... And do you really think that if the forums was about books we would stay on topic? No, we wouldn't. We would wonder off topic like we do in every other single post.

------------------

I calculated the odds that this would work versus the odds that I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.
 oninosensi
03-21-2001, 12:35 AM
I like waffles! Pedro style! http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
 Boba Rhett
03-21-2001, 12:54 AM
Have you ever tried sausages wrapped in waffles? DELICIOUS!!

------------------

I calculated the odds that this would work versus the odds that I was doing something incredibly stupid...and I went ahead anyway.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-21-2001, 10:38 PM
I'm Batman.

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Boba Rhett
03-21-2001, 10:58 PM
I am Superman. I can kick batmans @$$. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------

paulbarnard
03-22-2001, 2:38 AM
Opens up kryptonite stand. 5 ounces for a dollar.
 Boba Rhett
03-22-2001, 4:25 AM
*Puts 1000 bucks in a basket attached to the end of a 30 foot pole and reaches it to Paul*

*Paul puts all the kryptonite in the basket*

*I proceed to dump the kryptonite from the basket into a satellite about to launch*

*the satellite launches thus sending my only fear into space*

That takes care of that.

*Proceeds to face stomp batman*

P.S. yes I do realize I need to get out more...

------------------

Jedi SuperBuen
03-22-2001, 12:59 PM
*What Superman doesn't realise is that it's a Wayne Enterprise satellite*

*Batman recovers the Kryptonite*

Who's laughing now, alien?

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Boba Rhett
03-22-2001, 8:24 PM
*B*tch slaps Batmans head off.*

That takes care a dat!!

------------------

Jedi SuperBuen
03-22-2001, 9:54 PM
*Batman picks up head*

Ah HA Superman, I'm just Robo-Batman... The real Batman you ask? Right behind you, sticking that Kryptonite down your pants!!!

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Boba Rhett
03-22-2001, 10:21 PM
*Tares frantically at his own crotch*

*rips his pants off then flings the pants out into space*

*Turns around, grabs ahold of Batmans jaw and rips it off his face.*

*then picks up the robotic Batnam and tears his legs off and beats him with them.

------------------

Jedi SuperBuen
03-22-2001, 11:41 PM
*as Superman rips and picks up the second Robo-Batman, the real Batman sneaks up with the Kryptonite ring and weakens Superman again...*

Now Superman you shall die!

*But as Batman kicks the crap outta Superman, he comes to his senses...*

Superman! What have I done?! We're the Super-friends!

*calls Wonder-Woman, Aquaman, Green Latern, and Green Arrow and they all party*

*Batman slows dances with Wonder Woman* http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 oninosensi
03-23-2001, 1:04 AM
/me watches with glee as I fire my kryponite based Death Star cannon into the superfriends

Well, that is one less group of do-gooders to spoil my fun!

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
 paulbarnard
03-23-2001, 3:21 AM
Works on developing Kryptonian Reverse Transcriptase primers to sell to Batman. Superman may buy some Human Reverse Transcriptase primers at this very moment.
 Boba Rhett
03-23-2001, 4:23 AM
Cash, check, or freshly made diamonds?

------------------

paulbarnard
03-23-2001, 4:24 PM
Just clean the diamonds off, cuz i know you pulled them from the lump of coal up Pedro's a$$. Clean them really good. Bleach too.
Page: 1 of 2