Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Goodbye jedi knight/mots editing!!!

Page: 1 of 1
 Garindan
03-02-2001, 2:38 PM
Well,

I decided that editing jediknight and mots takes up waaaaay too much of my time.

Actually I have gone over to editing space sim games, such as TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance. I'm just getting into X-Wing Alliance, hopefully it'll be funner.

This doesn't mean i'm not going to play jedi knight or mots anymore though.
 paulbarnard
03-02-2001, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by Garindan:
I'm just getting into X-Wing Alliance, hopefully it'll be funner.

Need I say more about Darwin and the state of our species...
 Pootie_Fett
03-02-2001, 3:33 PM
LOL!!
 Boba Rhett
03-02-2001, 5:32 PM
You'll be back. They always come back!!! Mewhuwhohahahahahahaaa!!! JK/MotS owns you!!! It's not yours, your its!! *disappears in a puff of smoke*

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Garindan
03-02-2001, 6:08 PM
Hey Paul, you'll never believe this:

I went into playing x-wing alliance, and i beat the mission i was stuck on, the one where you have to ion pulse the prototype ties, i failed the mission a few times, but i eventually beat it, and then i went on to beat 4 more missions after that without dying! I loved the mission where the cruiser was under attack, and you have to destroy all the enemies.

------------------
For the Empire!-Moff Kioet Csuhen

FM/LT Kioet Csuhen/Theta 2-3/Wing II/SSSD Sovereign
 Pedro The Hutt
03-02-2001, 8:10 PM
Garindan, does that mean that we will never see those oh so much promising levels of yours. I was waiting to play those ya know.(now that I think of it, our Garindan wouldn't be a bad LEC employee. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif)

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 Boba Rhett
03-02-2001, 9:36 PM
Bwahahahahahahaha!!! *falls on floor laughing* That's the funniest thing i've ever heard!!!

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-03-2001, 11:26 AM
Well I kinda agree with Pedro, I mean you've flooded us with 'update' post for a while now and your just going to drop it?

What about playing as an AT-ST? What about those training levels? What about the arena?

I feel cheated.

------------------
You can do it your own way
Just as long as it's done just how I say...
 Garindan
03-03-2001, 12:38 PM
Don't worry, i'll get around to finishing those levels sometime. I'll at least get the arena done, since that's mostly complete (except for the ugly texturing, and some other stuff, such as more bosses, etc.)

I just haven't played X-Wing Alliance in so long, and yesterday I went and played it, and beat a dozen levels (i got 2 medals, and 2 cutscenes).

I'll just finish up those 2 levels, and release them on my site.

The AT-ST training one is going to take the longest for me to do, I've set up almost the whole imperial base, and i just need to add a few more things, and then I'll need to do the imperial base.

ok, this is what i have planned for the atst training level:

The player starts out as a trooper, eliminates threats to the base, and attacks recon ships that come through, there'll be 3 gameplay styles: on foot walking anywhere you want, in a sentry tower, and finally in an atst, you'll DESTROY the rebel's base.

Oh, rhett, don't you dare say "I told you so", or i'll sick my stormtrooper units on you. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-03-2001, 1:45 PM
Make sure you can still see the AT-ST with the external camera...

------------------
 Garindan
03-03-2001, 7:04 PM
i can do that, it's easy, i just don't know how to make the view distance decent enough so the atst isn't blocking the view.
 Boba Rhett
03-03-2001, 7:22 PM
I do. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/tongue.gif)

------------------
I live here ya know.
 paulbarnard
03-04-2001, 3:04 PM
So you're going to finish up your remaining works in progress, then drop that for XWA?
 oninosensi
03-05-2001, 3:16 AM
After 52 billion posts, your going to drop a couple of levels on us, then split. I hope they are good levels.

------------------
The Master is Back
with a vengence
 Darth_Lando
03-05-2001, 1:24 PM
GARINDAN!

I spent the whole weekend developing a story and level brainstorming for a MOTS/mod because you were inspiring me and now you are backing out? DOH! I was thinking maybe making a 5 or 6 level SP game, how long would that take on average do you think?

Oh well.... *sniff* I'll still look into making it.
 Boba Rhett
03-05-2001, 3:02 PM
If you wanted to make 5 or 6 awesome sp levels it would probably take 5 to 6 monthes at least. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

------------------
I live here ya know.

[This message has been edited by Boba Rhett (edited March 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Boba Rhett (edited March 05, 2001).]
 Darth_Lando
03-05-2001, 3:25 PM
I could live with that working on something for 6 months if it does everything I want it to. However, it may take a little longer because I would actually sit around goofing off with Jed making goofy things before I jump in and start making levels.

Maybe, if I collaborated with someone and I made 3 levels and the other person made 3 levels then we tweaked each others work that could speed up the process a bit.....
 Moff_Kioet
03-05-2001, 3:29 PM
you have to remember that I have bought almost all the star wars computer games, and it's my obligation to finish them all, then I'll have TONS of level ideas.

I'm just taking a break for a month of editing and then I'll be back to finish up those levels.
 Boba Rhett
03-05-2001, 3:36 PM
I've been busy playing THPS2 and half life but if you guys get the levels made i'll happily go through them and tweak,improve, and fix stuff. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Garindan
03-05-2001, 5:41 PM
umm...ok now i remember:

Rhett. go get leeza's destiny, it's alot like boam, but it's got WAAAAAY more levels.

I think I'll play The Phantom Menace as insanely as people play mario 64.

See ya.
 Boba Rhett
03-05-2001, 6:52 PM
I have leezas already and yes it is very good but I think i'll stick with my Boam. http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Darth_Lando
03-05-2001, 7:33 PM
Excuse me for not pretending like I know what you are talking about, but what is a Boam?
 Boba Rhett
03-05-2001, 9:23 PM
Birth of a Mercinary 1, 2, and 3 are among the best single player levesl there are and they are my favs. If you don't have them you should go get them right now!!!

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Garindan
03-05-2001, 10:35 PM
leeza's are better in terms of cutscenes http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif) there's also a grappling hook, and glowsaber for you to use! http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-06-2001, 12:45 PM
Well Garindan, just make sure you finish those levels... or else... I will unleash my fellow Dark Jedis, Pedro & Rhett (hey you guys signed the contract!)

------------------
 Darth_Lando
03-06-2001, 1:17 PM
I downloaded Boam1 yesterday. So far it is pretty good although the opening cutscene was a bit 'cheesy', like first of all, if Darth Vader did force grip on you, that you would not be able to run away. But that isn't too important. I am impressed with the work the author did.

I'll check out Leezas after Boam.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-07-2001, 2:41 PM
I just downloaded BoaM as well but havin't played them yet...

Any other MotS levels worth it in that list in Massissi?

I see Boba Fett missions and Episode VI final battle... are those kewl?

------------------
 Darth_Lando
03-07-2001, 3:37 PM
I finished Boam1 last night and I have to say I am impressed with the level design. I have downloaded the next 2 missions.
 Garindan
03-08-2001, 12:17 AM
boba fett missions are pretty cool, there's only 3 of them though. it's just basic levels someone did, you do get to be boba fett though.
 Garindan
03-08-2001, 11:34 PM
since i'm back into editing, i've been FLOODED with ideas. they keep coming!!!! And on top of that, i'm forcing myself to keep my mouth (or fingers) SHUT so some of those ideas will be surprises.

------------------

Droid Works
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-09-2001, 12:24 AM
Kewl Garindan... I'm really looking forward to a level(s?) from ya... Got anything made so far?

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
But the memory remains...
 Boba Rhett
03-09-2001, 4:16 AM
I can never keep my interest on one idea long enough to bang out a finished level. I have like 10 almost finished levels sitting here on my cpu. I mainly like making mods now.

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-09-2001, 1:58 PM
Hey just put all your levels together and call it "A Jedi's Crazy @$$ Dream!"... http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Garindan
03-09-2001, 3:45 PM
lol

I've just about got one level, or episode made up, the name of the pack is going to be called:

Imperial Trooper or Stormtrooper, something like that. The AT-ST 3rd person view sucks when i mess around with it, so i'll leave it how it is, i did change it so you can't see a gun in 1st person mode though, and it looks more real.

I think I'm going to have the player as a trooper most of the time though, only a few levels will have the atst.

Well, i gotta go do a chore, and then I'll be finishing up the first episode, and will go on to the next episode.

I think you will all like the idea[s] that I came up with, one idea will be leaked right now:

Every so many levels you beat, you'll get a rank (different colored shoulder pad thing), and every rank gives you an extra weapon.

Well, I must be going. I'll be back in about 2-3 hours to report my progress (and maybe leak out another idea, MAYBE)
 Garindan
03-09-2001, 4:53 PM
I'm not sure if i'll stick with the atst idea, it just wouldn't feel right in the first person mode, I have just about everything set up for it though, the speed is perfect (just like the ai controlled atst), the sounds are almost perfect, only thing i need to do with the sounds is make an atst firing sound, and I'm not sure how. Another thing I'd need is a 'cockpit' for the 1st person view, which would make it about 99% better. so, let's just say I'll unfortunately have to trash the idea of the atst, If enough people wouldn't mind anything i said above and being able to drive the atst like that, i'll include it in 1 or 2 levels. The levels where you play as a stormtrooper are going to be the best though. I'm trying hard not to give out some of my ideas. If you've played force commander, you'll u________d s_me o_ the from there, like o___ w__re yo__ll have to ________an e___y ba_e and t__e ___ of their _____ter co_es and make it back to yo_r __se al___. oops, you weren't supossed to read that.

[This message has been edited by Garindan (edited March 09, 2001).]
 Boba Rhett
03-09-2001, 4:54 PM
Hey just put all your levels together and call it "A Jedi's Crazy @$$ Dream!

Ya thats good but the levels still need more explaining. We'll have to add something to the title about me being drunk..

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Darth_Lando
03-09-2001, 6:20 PM
Garindan as far as coming up with a cockpit, looking into the commands for the rifle scope might help out since it has a border which could be manipilated as a cockpit. Of course, you will need to scale it way back and take out the zoom. Hmmmmm.. leave the option to zoom in because in ESB I remember seeing an Imperial Commander looking through some binaculars on Hoth.

yeah, I think the ability to zoom in and out at will from 1st person view in a ATST would add to the "feel" of commanding one.
That is just my humble opinion.

As for the sound of the cannon fire, if you could get a clean sample from ESB or ROTJ it would be cool to have the snd file listed twice maybe lcannon.snd(panned to the left) and rcannon.snd(panned to the right) so when the left cannon fires the sounds comes out the left speaker and so forth.
 Garindan
03-09-2001, 7:28 PM
That would be cool, since I've decided to make these missions 'continuing' or
never-seeming-to-end, it might be implemented later on. My primary task right now is making some starting missions, I've just finished #2, and it's pretty awesome.

I could just have the view as normal for the at-st (good thing i took that stormtrooper rifle out of view http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif) ) and I'll change the weapon sounds for it, I believe if I can isolate the weapon sound file from the .snd of the atst.snd file, I could do what you said, that would REALLY be cool.

The AT-ST will come much later in the levels though, I'll have the levels (both of them) up on my site by next week, maybe more of them, since the levels are pretty big (about 600 kilobytes per level) i'll have to put them seperately, I hope nobody minds that though.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-10-2001, 1:51 PM
I don't care about the size of the levels, I have a DSL connection http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)

As for the AT-ST in the 3rd view: YOU GOT TO HAVE THAT!!!

Boba Rhett: That would work http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/smile.gif)

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Garindan
03-11-2001, 12:12 AM
then we have a problem. ok, fine. I'll have a 3rd person view of it, it works, BUT only in one direction, say you wanna go one way, the at-st comes TOWARDS the screen, you can't get the view back, you have to turn the other way around and start walking that way. I've been flooded with more ideas after playing rebellion for too long on accident (i stayed up until 4 am playing it last night, i thought it was 2 am, oops, well at least i'm winning and have a fleet of ssds). One of my ideas, i'll leak:

You are an imperial commando (in a scout trooper uniform), and you must get stuff out of rebel bases and return it to your base. sound simple? there's a MAYJOR catch though.

You're not supossed to kill any rebels (you're supossed to remain undetected), and you'll only have thermal charges for weapons, and with those the only thing they'll be used on is for knocking out a factory or someplace that builds stuff.
 Rogue9
03-11-2001, 4:51 AM
Posts here for the sake of posting http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/biggrin.gif)
 Darth_Lando
03-12-2001, 1:40 PM
Ok guys. I have spent the last wekk and a half reading Jed tutorials so tonight I am going to get my 'hands dirty' and start creating simple rooms and texturing and enemy placement stuff.

I haven't commited to making my SP game yet but will know by the end of the week after messing around on Jed if I am going to do it or not. Wish me luck!
 Garindan
03-12-2001, 3:50 PM
I am making the arena level about 10 times bigger, I was going to do a simple level for myself but then i remembered something about multiselect, and I copied it and added it to the new area. so now, there's a hangar, and some extra rooms, i'm planning on a prison too, and maybe an aquarium room with a dianoga. The areas are a little boxy, but it won't matter when the whole thing is done. I'm not sure if i'll hand it over to rhett to be converted to a multiplayer before I go and add the people to it, I think it would be pretty cool as a multiplay though, but since I have no way to test it out on a server or seriel cable, rhett will handle it. (you will, right?)

Well, at least I got 2 levels going right now, one is outside, and the other is inside, both have very different feels to them, and that's cool. I think the arena level will be the best one though, since it'll be mp as well as sp.
 Boba Rhett
03-12-2001, 4:41 PM
Well, the level can be made into multi really easy but... getting the cogs and actors you have in the level to work in multi will be VERY hard. You should look at the generator cog they have at massassi, i'll look at it too.

------------------
I live here ya know.
 Darth_Lando
03-12-2001, 5:22 PM
Yes. Someone at massassi was trying to get an AT-ST in their multiplayer map and was having a difficult time. Even though it would be patroling in the background and no one could operate it.
 Jedi SuperBuen
03-12-2001, 10:01 PM
I'm looking forward to all these levels... I'm messing around with JED myself but well I dunno yet, I don't think I will be releasing anything for the moment...

------------------
Ash to ash,
Dust to dust,
Fade to black,
 Garindan
03-13-2001, 3:35 PM
i've had a few months in training, and am pretty good at editing. rhett, i didn't actually MEAN put actors in the level, just players (controlled by a real person).
 Garindan
03-13-2001, 3:35 PM
i've had a few months in training, and am pretty good at editing. rhett, i didn't actually MEAN put actors in the level, just players (controlled by a real person).
Page: 1 of 1