Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Dig 2?

Page: 1 of 1
 Metallus
04-12-2002, 6:42 AM
What do you think?
 Zaarin
04-12-2002, 8:48 AM
I think a movie for The Dig would be great, they could even cast the original game voices for some of the cast.

However, a computer game would go down almost as well. Here's hoping. They still haven't announced their adventure sequel yet, have they?
 GreenJeanz
04-12-2002, 6:37 PM
I hope nobody tries to make a Dig movie, cause that's what I want to do if I ever become an animator. It's my dream. :D
 Schmatz
04-12-2002, 7:06 PM
Why must it be animated? I think real people would be better.
 Snubs
04-12-2002, 9:28 PM
Although, CG would be very handy to create such other-worldly vistas.:lsduel: :explode: Hehehe, I just love those little guys.
 Zaarin
04-13-2002, 12:35 AM
It really wouldn't be very hard to make a dig movie, if they kept it close to the game, as most of the sets are quite small and the large areas could just be computer generated.
 GreenJeanz
04-13-2002, 5:18 PM
I'm an artist. I draw. I want to animate. Henceforth, if I made a Dig movie, it would be animated. I'm not talking disney-style animation or animation geared towards children. I mean quasi-anime-style without the cuteness and more realism.
 Snubs
04-13-2002, 11:55 PM
So a gruffed up Bugs and Daffy then?
 Zaarin
04-14-2002, 1:19 AM
Daffy with a scar across his eye and Bugs with an ear torn off and stubble. I can see it already.
 GreenJeanz
04-14-2002, 2:44 AM
Errr..that's an interesting and also incorrect way of putting it. :p No. I meant with the sleekness and angularity of anime, with anime mouths and hair(Not like spiky and poofy but shaded and defined the anime way), but with regular sized eyes and realistic noses. Serious anime melded with the Dig cutscene style, in other words.
 Snubs
04-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fud with a wig then?
 GreenJeanz
04-14-2002, 10:46 PM
LOL! I give up. :p
 Snubs
04-14-2002, 11:34 PM
Or Marvin the Martian...
 Schmatz
04-18-2002, 1:33 AM
Why not animate it the same way as the cutscenes from the Dig? Hello?
 Snubs
04-18-2002, 10:40 AM
:eyeraise: ...That was too obvious of a solution. Thanks for slapping me on the face with it though. 7:42 in the morning and I already feel stupid...OFF TO A GOOD START!
 GreenJeanz
04-18-2002, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by Schmatz
Why not animate it the same way as the cutscenes from the Dig? Hello?

I said it would be half like the cutscenes and half like my own style, if I ever did it. *sighs* Maybe I should give up the idea of ever making a Dig movie considering nobody likes my idea. :(
 Snubs
04-18-2002, 9:27 PM
It's not your idea that nobody likes GreenJeanz it's you that nobody likes. ;)
 Schmatz
04-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Wow... what an Ozzie...(Snubs that is) hey, the idea is OK, but that's because you like the anime look. So do I, but I know that the Dig REALLY would look bad anime-ish. Sorry :/
 Snubs
04-19-2002, 12:51 AM
I myself am partial to Luney Tunes style animation, as you may have inferred by now. You just can't beat watching a duck getting his bill blown clean round his head. Or a coyote falling into a 2 mile deep canyon for that matter. "Where is the Earth shattering kaboom? There was supposed to be an Earth shattering kaboom!" Classic.:thumbsup: If you don't know who said that, I spit on you you un-cultured swine!:swear:
 Zaarin
04-19-2002, 3:26 AM
http://tksoft.50g.com): These guys have been planning a fan made Dig sequel for ages. Perhaps everyone could either help, or give them support.
 GreenJeanz
04-19-2002, 4:12 AM
Originally posted by Schmatz
Wow... what an Ozzie...(Snubs that is) hey, the idea is OK, but that's because you like the anime look. So do I, but I know that the Dig REALLY would look bad anime-ish. Sorry :/

Honestly, I don't want to sound grumpy, but nobody has really been listening to me. :P
I said anime style-eyes, but not large ones. Small. Small anime eyes. There IS such a thing. Semi-anime style mouths, but not really. Anime shaded and defined hair. But not poofy hair. Or spikey hair. Or big hair. The hair the way it looks in the Dig cutscenes, but shaded like anime.
Noses drawn the same way as in the cutscenes.
I wasn't talking about fullout anime here. I know that would look absurd. Especially Boston. Ick! I'm talking about a style which is identifiable as anime but yet not really. Angular and defined and shaded like anime, but NOT anime in the traditional sense.
 Schmatz
04-20-2002, 8:04 PM
:confused: wow... you made me want to punch a hole in the wall.... so you want anime, but NOT anime. I get the eyes part, and the hair shading as in that shiney area of the hair, but it's really not needed if you just use the cutscene animation... that would make a great movie... then again, what would the plot be?
 Snubs
04-20-2002, 9:00 PM
No, you don't punch walls you headbut them. Go stud huntin'. But anyway. I think it would be cool just to mix and match the best parts of the game and book then slap 'em on a piece if film. But then again, it doesn't take much to make me happy so that probably sounds a whee bit thin.
 GreenJeanz
04-20-2002, 10:26 PM
I was thinking it'd be The Dig, as in the plot to the game, but with choice elements of the book, as Snubs said, and also with my own ideas and the background info from the strategy guide.
 thomas_a
10-18-2005, 7:35 PM
itd be cool as a comic book. amybe i wil do that when i get bored?
 Manny C
11-02-2005, 1:26 AM
I just think that the whole appeal of the Dig is its sense of mystery and wonder. I think the only other thing around that captures the same feel is that TV show, Lost.
The whole idea of a sequel eliminates the pleasure behind the game. How can you create that sense of mystery, foreboding and eerieness when you already know everything? What I'd much prefer, is if the crew behind The Dig got together and made a new game, but one made with the same craftsmanship and emphasis on story and atmosphere. In that way, you have a game made by the same creative minds, and thus producing a similarly sublime experience, but without the trappings of a sequel.

But the sad part is that games like The Dig just don't sell anymore, they're not profitable so people don't make them. That, and the fact that the point n' click game is dead, and unless they can somehow concoct another form of gameplay that offers the brilliant semi-cinematic adventure template that the PnC presents, there's little hope for any more games like The Dig. Because of this, I think that it's pretty unavoidable that The Dig, or anything like it in a game is a thing of the past.
 Zaarin
11-02-2005, 2:06 AM
How about they make a prequel?
It could be about Boston as a child, who partipicates in go-kart races, has a crush on a teenage girl, and builds a robot out of mechano.
 Manny C
11-02-2005, 2:19 AM
yeah that would be an awesome idea if it wasnt really stupid
 thomas_a
11-02-2005, 5:32 PM
POINT AND CLICKS ARE NOT DEAD!

http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=909a0218-3a62-4d6f-a290-cb07ff26fa3c&)

not that bad of a game. i would have to say the DS is THE platform for point and clicks now; although the screen is a bit small for the robust and highly detailed enviroments of the dig. The psp isn bad with its monolithic screen, but the the controls are sadening.
 Manny C
11-03-2005, 2:20 AM
yeah i saw a review on that, almost makes me want to buy a DS just for that game. But just because micheal buble still sings frank sinatra songs doesnt mean he's still alive. He "lives on in spirit", but he isnt alive like he used to be.
 thomas_a
11-03-2005, 6:55 PM
what about still life? myst 5? the point and click isnt dead yet... bigger genres left it heavily wounded and struggling for life whch will mean two things: wiother it dies a painful and slow death by spweing out tons of crappy games in its last breath, or it will survive and we will return to maing games more than just sadistic blood baths; works of colaborative art.
 thomas_a
11-03-2005, 6:57 PM
yeah i saw a review on that, almost makes me want to buy a DS just for that game. But just because micheal buble still sings frank sinatra songs doesnt mean he's still alive. He "lives on in spirit", but he isnt alive like he used to be.

FYI: , great gameplay, great design, great story, lasts you 5 hours in total. But i can forsee tons of other lke games coming out to the DS; and comon; Mario Kart? your set for life!
 Manny C
11-03-2005, 8:27 PM
nah im gonna get a PSP i reckon, im not forking out like a couple of hundred bucks just to play a couple of decent games
 thomas_a
11-04-2005, 5:54 PM
eh, its a nice peice of Hardware, but just adds up:
unit: $300
games: $40-$50
movies: $20 (as much as a full version DVD mind you)
good sized, 1 gb memory stick: $70-$80

I would like to get one, but like i said, its a rich person toy.

oh yeah, and so far there are only 3 or 4 decent games out on the PSP, so you pretty much screwed both ways in the case.
 Manny C
11-06-2005, 8:29 PM
well i guess im glad im a rich person then, huh :P

A couple of good games with some longevity is all you really need, I'd use it for mp3 and vids etc much more than games I reckon. All you really need is the GTA game, maybe the metal gear solid one. Also ive read that there's a way I can put my LA adventure games on there, in which case, who needs PSP games?? I remember many a time sitting at the bus stop which would have been far more bearable had I possessed a portable version of The Dig.
 VampireNaomi
11-07-2005, 1:55 AM
*jumping into your PSP/DS hijack*

How about Phoenix Wright? That game alone is making me want to get DS.

And if we're going to continue this much longer, shouldn't we make a new thread about it so that this one stays relatively on topic?
 Manny C
11-07-2005, 3:14 AM
i would but i dont know how. do you?
 thomas_a
11-07-2005, 6:12 PM
MOVING ON

"super mario bros move"
check and mate
 Manny C
11-07-2005, 7:42 PM
well ok then...

ANYHOO, what sort of idea would work in a Diggish sort of way? Desert island has been done...twice. Although it's been done, i wouldn't mind a Space Station/ship like in Event Horizon, except maybe less scary and more mysterious like the Dig. Maybe even the original idea of a ruined city, that would be cool i reckon, although to be honest it would take some serious brainstorming to match The Dig's mysterious island and spires, they're so unlike anything human on the surface.
 F2bnp
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
I think a movie would be perfect.
 thomas_a
12-12-2005, 11:27 AM
DOOM people! DOOM!
Page: 1 of 1